Lesson at Vale View Friday, Eland OD Sunday

Mickeymoo

Visit site
Well, my weekend started Friday with a lesson with John Steels at Vale View. I started with my homework on the flat which he had given me from last time.. stop tapping with my leg, and work on my canter to halt. So I showed off my handywork, and John was impressed. then I jumped a x pole a few times and had to stop after the jump. Then he sent me off round the course and I felt I really jumped badly. So then he asked which part of the course I felt was a problem, and I said the oxer with 4 strides to a double which was down the long side of the manage. I always seem to bound along for things like that and pick up speed. So, thats what we worked on. I came down the line and he was giving me tips. But everytime I went off to do it again, he was putting the double up and up. I asked him after a few jumps what size it was and he said about 1m10. gulp.. so off he sent me again, and as I walked away I could hear him putting the double again, but I didn't look back as I didn't want to know whether it was one or two holes it was going up by. Came down to over the oxer, then locked onto the double. Each jump was just 2 poles, and with it being gappy it looked huge. Anyway, we jumped it really well and I was so please with Mick. Then John said it was 1m15 i was in shock.

So, onto the ODE at Eland. My times were between 11 and 12pm, so it was scorching by the time I got there. Mick was really cool though in the equitrek so I was quite happy. Dressage, went to the warm up to find my dressage arena was right next to the xcountry.. Great. Mick has been working really well at home, but he was convinced he was going straight to xc and was sooo excited. Had no right bend and he wouldn't listen at all to my right leg. Anyway, started my test and a fly politely landed in my ear and settled in.. We did a wobbly centre line (which Mick never does) and the rest really went the same from there on. Everytime the xc commentator spoke, Mick thought it was because it was his turn! Our final medium walk down the centre line to X became a beautiful shoulder in - in jog! The judge was very kind and I got a comment 'forward thinking horse'. So, finished the test and the fly kindly left me ear!

Show Jumping, he was happy doing this. I had a good canter going and he was great, had 2 down which is unusual, but I put it down to the heat. I think on one jump he stood off and his back leg came down, but he didn't back off anything and we were really pleased with him.

XC Set off great, 1 & 2, got to the pallasaide which had been raised about 6 inches since the HT and flew it. Got onto the Island I drove him onto it but not off it?? so we had a stop, and we both peered over the edge and looked in the ditch, so I promptly turned and went down the filled in bit. I wasn't risking elimination. Also I was trying to be lady like and not yell at him there, but what did it get me.. 20 faults.. so never again, haha. Flew round the rest of the course, and came galloping home up the hill. I was only 4 seconds over time so really pleased and we finished 14th in the section. Mick was once again a star all day.

thanks for reading. x

Wimbles

Visit site
Glad you had a good day at Eland, I was scared to death about the pallisade to ditch at 3 but had a horrid fall in the SJ so never even made it.

I think anyone who completed all 3 disciplines in that heat deserves a massive pat on the back. Well done!

Mickeymoo

Visit site
Wimbles, I hope you are ok after your fall. I convince myself everything is tiny and thats what gets me over. lol. We didn't expect too much of Mick because of the heat and I let him choose the pace on the run up the hill, and he galloped home the bugger. He has so much energy.

Thanks Kat, yes I am really pushing myself now, I need to move up a level. I have the horse, the ability and the trainers (JS & Dark_Knight), I just have to remember to ride. lol

PS, can anyone tell me how to post an icon within the post. I can add it to the title??

Mickeymoo

Visit site
Thanks AB, No, the fly was probably a good distraction from Mick playing 'lets not be a dressage horse'. Bless his little cottons.. x