lesson ideas please - midlands area

ThePony

Visit site
Hi,
I'm thinking of getting OH a lesson (or a few of) as a birthday pressie. Ideally it would be on a schoolmaster and in the midlands. Not sure flatwork or jumping, fantastic lesson experience would be more important. OH is an experienced rider, and I think would really enjoy and benefit from a schoolmaster lesson. His mare has some health issues currently which is why I'd look for a schoolmaster one rather than one on his mare.
I've ridden at Talland, and while it was fine I think I'd like to find somewhere else to try.
Any recommendations, or ones you would avoid?
Thanks guys!

ThePony

Visit site
Wow, I didn't know you could do that!!

I think with OH though he'd probably rather something more 'normal' though lol! A straight Dr or SJ lesson, DR with someone with a classical leaning would go do well I think if there is someone like that with a nice schoolmaster?

Blythe Spirit

Visit site
Sam is good but not IMO as a 'one off' as you are unlikely to do more than be lunged in Walk and Trot. If you just want a one off on a good horse SJ or Dr I suggest Summerhouse. They do what they call 'prestige' training - ie school master lessons. He will do plenty on a nice horse. wouldn't call their approach classical (I rode in draw reins as do most if not all of the DR school master clients) but its not brutal either. so for a fun one off I think its a good option

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Sam is good but not IMO as a 'one off' as you are unlikely to do more than be lunged in Walk and Trot. If you just want a one off on a good horse SJ or Dr I suggest Summerhouse. They do what they call 'prestige' training - ie school master lessons. He will do plenty on a nice horse. wouldn't call their approach classical (I rode in draw reins as do most if not all of the DR school master clients) but its not brutal either. so for a fun one off I think its a good option

Slight hijack sorry... what about dovecote for an intensive couple of days? say a couple of lunge lessons on theirs plus a couple on your own horse in same wknd?

Blythe Spirit

Visit site
If you want to be well taught with a solid base in a classical manner with an eye to bio mechanical approaches and are happy to spend time getting the basics right - and you like Sam's style (which can be quite minimalist) then I'd say yes it would be good. Never had a lesson on my own horse with him but have had 4ish on his own horses.

philamena

Visit site
Slight hijack sorry... what about dovecote for an intensive couple of days? say a couple of lunge lessons on theirs plus a couple on your own horse in same wknd?

You'd definitely get something out of that kind of thing. If I still lived anywhere near I'd be doing it :)

Sol

Visit site

This is what I'm planning on doing at Hope Farm hopefully this year (with schoolmaster lessons as well as lunge lessons & own horse lessons). I looked at Dovecote too but ended up going for Hope Farm, think they're about equal distance for me but Hope Farm just gave off more of the right 'vibe' for me & I was very pleased with my first few lessons there & everything I saw :)