Lesson Ideas - too lazy to think for myself!

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
OK, I've got 5 lessons in a row this afternoon and they are pretty much all either walk and trot or Walk, Trot, Wobbly canter.

I'm so bored of just going round and round the outside and on circles but quite a few of our ponies will only follow unless they have someone good on them (we're a bit low on good lesson horses at the moment, we NEED more stock LOL).

So... any ideas of what to do with them. I've got two groups with kids, two groups with adults and one advanced group riding their own horses. Can't do poles or jumps because I'm not able to shift the equipment around yet cos of my back injury...

Let your imaginations run wild!!!! They will be happy with pretty much anything as mostly they just need to practice their confidence and balance - but I think if I have to do canter the back and trot figures of eight with 5 groups over 5 hours this afternoon I will chew my own wrists open.

Don't you just LOVE teaching
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Jemayni

Visit site
The traffic lights game! that was always fun when I was like four (ie: halt = red, walk = amber, trot = green) and you just shout the colours. The best thing has to be backwards roll off, so much fun and they will be mega pleased witht themselves!

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
Games! I help in lead rein lessons a lot, and I'd say a bending race in walk would be quite successful. Sort them into two teams and play some games which will improve their steering. Make sure the two teams both have equal points at the end, it's NOT fun when the losers get upset x3

Let me see... Oh! The littler ones seem to love walking with no stirrups! And things like that... Try steering with no reins, as well.

Or make up a sort of dressage test and get them to do it
smile.gif
Something like "Start at a in walk. Trot at c. Walk again at B and circle at a." Get them to lean it, should keep 'em occupied x3

"Don't you just LOVE teaching"

xD I honestly want to become an instructor! That or a policewoman (preferably mounted)

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I honestly want to become an instructor!

[/ QUOTE ]

[whispers] me too, TBH I love it more than anything. Don't tell anyone, they all think I'm crazy. Im just not inspired today.

Walking without stirrups is good. We aren't allowed to do work w/o stirrups tho cos of our H&S insurance
confused.gif
confused.gif
but if I just stick to the walk I think I can get away with it LOL

And I know what you mean about loosing teams. I had one kid who was really nervy and a bit feeble (sorry but she really was). So she was on a nice small safe lazy pony... at the end of the lesson (in which she had cried because she didn't want to trot) I suggested a game of Cops and Robbers. She became so obnoxiously competative that she then cried because her pony was 'too slow' and she couldn't catch the robber. AGHR I was cross with her that day lol

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
he best thing has to be backwards roll off, so much fun and they will be mega pleased witht themselves!

[/ QUOTE ]

What's a backwards roll off? I'm assuming they dismount from the pony by going over the back of the saddle and ending up behind him?

Hillarious to do I'm sure but I think my boss would have seven fits if he caught me. He is very very strict about Health and Safety.

Thanks for the tips though, keep em coming!

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
Heh xD When I was smaller, I used to have lessons with my friend's mum on her pony. He was so lovely, you'd turn around into the saddle, jump onto his bum, and slide down! He didn't mind a bit xD Great fun!

filly190

Visit site
If you are not feeling up to much with bad back, you could get them to swop horses half way through.

Line them up and teach them how to open and shut a gate mounted and dismounted.

Whilst they are riding round, test their knowledge, ask each person to name:

Parts of bridle
Saddle
Points of horse
Different types of rugs horses use
All the grooming kit
Different types of clip

That should keep them amused and improve their knowlege.

You could let go on to ask basic health questions etc.

This could help your time pass more quickly.

Teach them what to do if they fall off, how to try and land etc and what to do with the horse.

Get pairs to practice assisting each other on a pretend accident.

I've just suggested some easy things, thinking of you and your bad back, not nice having to stand outside for five hours when you're uncomfortable.

Bananaman

www.teamtorrent.co.uk
We used to call it an Australian dismount..........goodness knows why?
confused.gif

Rider takes left leg over the front of the saddle as when doing step one of 'round the world' going clockwise.
Then they slide down the horse until the small of their back is level with the top of the saddle, supporting their weight by holding the front and back of the saddle with their hands.
Then they tip their head back and flip their legs over their head and dismount landing on their feet, ( more often their bum at first!), remembering to let go of the saddle as they sumersault over!

Great fun but not sure how your boss will view it!!!!!!

I also agree with the riding in pairs thing. Getting them to ride as pairs, separating and changing the rein etc as in a musical ride. Will get them, and you, really using the brain cells.

leskaneen

Visit site
We play this game in the school where someone shouts silly commands like "runaway train"(cue mass canter) "indians coming" (cue sit on backwards to see if you can see them) "be a tree" (stand still-thats a hard one!)-you get my drift .I m very old but confess to enjoying it as much as the kids !!

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
Replying to all (am also to lazy to give individual replies LOL)

Cool, some really good ideas! I"m going to definately do 'parts of the bridle/saddle etc' and some games. Swapping ponies is a great idea too.

Maybe do a musical ride with the grown ups - its time they had some fun and it is easier to explain to adults LOL

thanks everyone, I'm quite looking forward to my lessons today!

BenjaminBunny

Visit site
Ask the students what they want to do? If there is anything specific they want to achieve - like a square halt or good transistions or a correct bend?

that way they are getting some input and will feel more involved

it will give them confidence and saves you having to think

Jemayni

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
he best thing has to be backwards roll off, so much fun and they will be mega pleased witht themselves!

[/ QUOTE ]

What's a backwards roll off? I'm assuming they dismount from the pony by going over the back of the saddle and ending up behind him?

Hillarious to do I'm sure but I think my boss would have seven fits if he caught me. He is very very strict about Health and Safety.

[/ QUOTE ]

God everything has to be so H&S its sad really isnt it!

you sit on your horse sideways hold on to the pommel and cantle lean back so your head is pointing towards the ground then flip your back over - so funny, just dont let go of the saddle !

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
Well I got through the lessons...

I did a mixture of everything. With the kids we did 'who can name the most parts of their horse/bridle/saddle' etc. Then I made them all take it in turns to lead and decide if their pony liked being in front or not.

With the adults I did work without stirrups for my nervous lady then gymkana games with the other group. They swapped ponies so we could see if it was the 'pony' winning or the rider. We finished with a game of cops and robbers - 3 middle aged ladies galloping around the school trying to grab each other's shoulders... it was hillarious!

Thanks everyone. I had a great afternoon in the end.