Lesson with Sue Eoff

Vindaloo

Visit site
I never thought I'd find anyone to help me with training my lad out here in India so imagine my surprise in meeting this lady Sue Eoff quite by chance who is out here for spiritual reasons (has given up on all the wonderful things in life we take for granted and lives in an Ashram). She has started getting to grips with me and Casper and goodness do we need it.

I posted our lesson last month and wondered if you kind people would take a look and yell at me for looking down, raising my leg, nasty right hand (and left at times too).

Sue is a real inspiration to me, she teaches with the horses well being in mind at all times and has stripped me down back to basics. I'm LOVING it.

She left teaching and schooling horses as a living in America since she was appalled by the brutality of some people who's desire to win was at the cost of the horse.

We've had some real soul searching conversations and i'm trying to convince her that in the UK (and of course all over the world)people really DO care about the horse first and foremost and that we, on the whole will look at tack, teeth, back, feed etc.

I'm so sorry that she has become so disillusioned with the horse world that she's had to walk away from it and am trying to get her to consider a move to the UK once she's done what she needs to do in India.

I think it would be a real eye opener for her...

Anyway, sorry to bang on, if you could cast your eyes over the pics and if you have and cc please let me know.

001.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg
[
IMG]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c283/Doberskunk1/Casper%20Nov%202011/015.jpg[/IMG]
016.jpg

017.jpg

019.jpg

Apologies if it's a bit of a picture overload.

Last edited:

Vindaloo

Visit site
Aw Rhino thanks very much. He's a little super star really tries his heart out every time despite my mixed messages. He's doing his level best to forget his racing past.

Sue is SUPER strict and I spent the whole lesson with her telling me to be MUCH quicker with my aids. I was exhausted mentally afterwards, I am always a second or two too slow to react.

She makes everything pretty easy to understand which is great, I think she'd do great in the UK. I'd like to pack her in my suitcase along with Casper when we finally move back.

rhino

Visit site
Aw Rhino thanks very much. He's a little super star really tries his heart out every time despite my mixed messages. He's doing his level best to forget his racing past.

Thank you :) Your photos really put a smile on my face, what a special partnership you make. Are you going to be able to bring him back to the UK with you?

Vindaloo

Visit site
I am doing everything in my power to make it so, looks likely that we'll have to go to another country first, get all bloods etc done and then, god willing, can get him home.

The poor chap has never been turned out in a field!!! Not my choice I can assure you. It's the way it is out here.

Horses have to cope with all sorts.

I've just started hacking him out, we meet buffaloes, camels, cows, traffic which does not give a hoot about livestock. Yet to come across an elephant but it's only a matter of time.

When I think back to my horses in the UK I have to laugh at spooking at crisp packets and the like. Can you imagine what the hell they'd make of an elephant?

Vindaloo

Visit site
Clover, I will pass it on to him. He's not had a lot of loving in his life so far. He's getting lots from me now and just about tolerates all my kissing and cooing over him.

Race horses out here don't get much in the way of that. It's a bit push, shove, wallop.

The grooms honestly seem to want to outdo each other in being tough with the horses. If only they could see how much better they respond to a more gentle appraoch.

I'm doing my best to show the grooms at our yard and one in particular I caught looking suspiciously like he was kissing him the other day. I can't be sure since he jumped back like a scalded cat.

Poor guy would NEVER live that down with the others, thankfully I don't spek Hindi so I can't rat on him.

JollyTall

Visit site
Your riding looks great, and he is very very beautiful!
I know where you're coming from with Indian methods with horses, used to work with a couple of guys on a work permit over here and some of the stuff certainly didn't go down too well in a nice, traditional english riding school! They were amazing with the horses once they learned, though. You sound really lucky with your friend/instructor, if she ever came over I'd get lessons with her if it meant looking as fab as you guys do in the pics :p

maggiehorse

Visit site
hi a lovely horse nicely ridden , just a couple of minor points , try to look up a little , by looking down you tend to load the forhand a little , also try to carry your hands evenly as your right seems to be the stronger hand so in some pics hes tilting his head to the right , these are really minor points so dont be offended!!

Vindaloo

Visit site
hi a lovely horse nicely ridden , just a couple of minor points , try to look up a little , by looking down you tend to load the forhand a little , also try to carry your hands evenly as your right seems to be the stronger hand so in some pics hes tilting his head to the right , these are really minor points so dont be offended!!

Oh god, maggiehorse, i'm not offended in the least. I really appreciate the advice. I'll never be able to compete out here so posting is a little like a test for me and I absolutely welcome the good, bad and the ugly. Thank you for replying.

I am totally rubbish on the head dept and I actually tried to keep it up tonight would you believe?

Hmm, and carrying the hands evenly. Know what i'll damn well do now STARE AT THEM. Ha, you get one thing sorted and then off you go, there's another bad habit to eliminate.

Thanks again.

Vindaloo

Visit site
Your riding looks great, and he is very very beautiful!
I know where you're coming from with Indian methods with horses, used to work with a couple of guys on a work permit over here and some of the stuff certainly didn't go down too well in a nice, traditional english riding school! They were amazing with the horses once they learned, though. You sound really lucky with your friend/instructor, if she ever came over I'd get lessons with her if it meant looking as fab as you guys do in the pics :p
JollyTall, I keep telling her to go to the UK. She has totally turned me around. I never thought it was possible to have a horse lift at the front end, stay there and all without much contact.

I've been banging away for years with bad posture, heels up, oh you name it, all the bad stuff and while I am painfully aware of how far we have to go, can't help but be excited that at last, I have found someone who can work on me and the horse at the same time and make a heck of a difference.

She'll be made up with what you've said. As am I... thank you.

I can only imagine the reception the Indian techniques had in the UK. Good to know that they were willing and able to learn though. Gives me hope for the one's I am in contact with over here to be honest.

If you saw the lunging... think wall of death and you've pretty much got it.

JollyTall

Visit site
JollyTall, I keep telling her to go to the UK. She has totally turned me around. I never thought it was possible to have a horse lift at the front end, stay there and all without much contact.

I've been banging away for years with bad posture, heels up, oh you name it, all the bad stuff and while I am painfully aware of how far we have to go, can't help but be excited that at last, I have found someone who can work on me and the horse at the same time and make a heck of a difference.

She'll be made up with what you've said. As am I... thank you.

I can only imagine the reception the Indian techniques had in the UK. Good to know that they were willing and able to learn though. Gives me hope for the one's I am in contact with over here to be honest.

If you saw the lunging... think wall of death and you've pretty much got it.

I really hope things continue to go well for all three of you! Mybe it wouldn't be such a good thing if she came over .. only because I'd have to find the money to buy a horse I can actually ride.

Yeah they were fine in the end, I think my boss understood, she just laid out very clearly what was done and not done, and we all put in a bit of help and they came round!

trina1982

Visit site
Looking really good :) It's amazing when you find that kind of instructer....a whole new world opens up to you, doesn't it? Look forward to the next update...

Trina x

Vindaloo

Visit site
Trina, I am thanking my lucky stars. It's amazing to find someone here of all places, she just happened to be here at the right time for both of us, for me it's having an instructor at her level and for her it's finding someone who cares deeply about their horse.

I'm a great believer in fate and this just confirms it to me. I hope she will go to the UK and have her faith restored in humanity.

Will post again next month most likely when I no longer have masking tape holding my poor old chaps together....

Nat. x

Kaylum

Visit site
Stunning horse you have there and the hacking sounds humm interesting. Have you got any pictures whilst out hacking? Do they keep horses in barns there or stable them?

Vindaloo

Visit site
Thanks Kaylum. Casper will be banging the door for more carrots than ever after hearing such nice things said about him.

They stable them. They all have lovely views of the farm with fans to keep them cool when it's hot but it's nothing to compare with turn out.

I will take some pics next time we are out and about. No lovely scenery I'm afraid since it's desert out here and very built up but I can show you some nice camels etc...

Kaylum

Visit site
Thanks Kaylum. Casper will be banging the door for more carrots than ever after hearing such nice things said about him.

They stable them. They all have lovely views of the farm with fans to keep them cool when it's hot but it's nothing to compare with turn out.

I will take some pics next time we are out and about. No lovely scenery I'm afraid since it's desert out here and very built up but I can show you some nice camels etc...

Thank you I would love to see what its like. Very interested in other ways of life. :)