lessons

not_with_it

Visit site
Just a nosey post really but after reading about people wanting to teach their horse new movements it got me thinking.

When you have a lesson do you tell the instructor what you want to do in the lesson eg,learn shoulder in or does your instructor assess the horse and teach on what they think needs improving.

I love having lessons and at the begging of every lesson my instructor asks what my horse has been like since the last lesson. She watches me warm up and then we work on the points which she has picked up on. I trust my instructor to decide when we are ready to start certain movements. After every lesson I feel that me and my horse have improved so we must be doing something right.
crazy.gif

spider

community.webshots.com
My instructor usually decides - I have a group lesson, but if we want to do anything in particular we ask. I have also booked private lessons to work on a particular movement or issue.

RachelB

Visit site
My instructor watches me schooling anyway and is always asking what I'm doing(as she is also my YO), so she knows. I just go in the school and warm up, and she comes in and starts teaching me. She is brill as she always knows just how far to push me and my horse, and what we need to do next. Well, TBH, I didn't think my horse would be able to do much, so anything I do in a lesson past a 20m circle I think is fab! So she can't go far wrong! But I always feel like we have improved, either on what we did last time, or a new thing we've learnt. And I always feel like I can go away and re-do the lesson for myself in my schooling sessions, which I think is my instructor's aim as I used to be rubbish at schooling, I could never think of what to do and just floated round!
I love having lessons!
ETA: I always have to specify what type of lesson I want though - flat, jump, or half and half.

JessPickle

Visit site
Well normally instructor chooses but she knows pickle incredibly well because he is on working livery so sees him being ridden on a regurlar basis

Jemayni

Visit site
If I ask mine she is happy to work on a specific thing, but usually we just do more on what we did the previous week. If Im competing at the weekend we'll work on whatever discipline it is Im doing!

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I love having lessons and at the begging of every lesson my instructor asks what my horse has been like since the last lesson. She watches me warm up and then we work on the points which she has picked up on. I trust my instructor to decide when we are ready to start certain movements. After every lesson I feel that me and my horse have improved so we must be doing something right.

[/ QUOTE ] Pretty much and with regular lessons it all gets covered with no rush.... If theres somthing i feel need work on i get my say
smirk.gif
grin.gif

PoppyPony

Visit site
My instructor asks me what I want to work on, and usually I have a bit of an idea but sometimes I just say to do whatever, and she'll have something planned.

not_with_it

Visit site
When doing teaching practise at college we were always taught to plan lessons before hand. I always used to hate doing this as I prefered to assess the horses and work on what I thought needed improving. I dont see how you can plan a lesson as horses are unpredictable.

teapot

Visit site
Normally if I'm jumping - it'll be a case of what do you want to do. So say a grid or a course etc.

Flatwork - tends to depend on who I'm riding and who's teaching me. We'll start out with one aim but normally get sidetracked onto something else which is relevent or is the instructor's new thing after their lesson the following day

I tend to think that as long as I come out of a lesson going ooo I've learnt something or achieved something I'm happy

annaellie

Visit site
My instructor told me what to do He knew me and my horse very well. He would ask how he was going and I would tell him but there was a couple of times I had not rode and after 5 mins he was like you liar you have not ridden this horse not because the horse was fresh because he bucked around for the first 10 mins anyway, He could just tell I trusted my instructor 100% with my horse and he helped me bring him on loads. But if I had any concerns over something he would go over it. I agree though that lesson plan do not always work, my instructor learnt us the half pass but the horse has we used to say sticks 2 fingers up to us using his back legs. so we had to get over that before moving on.

Tempi

Visit site
Andrew watches me warming up and asks how hes been etc. We then work on whatever he thinks needs working on, however i do ask (like last time) for help with things im finding difficult at home etc such as his falling through his shoulder in leg yeild. I also talk to him about what he thinks i should be teaching him and how soon etc.

When i take Blos to Kay its pretty much the same, she asks what ive been up to, how shes going what im doing competition wise with her etc. As Bloss is more established we work on everything tbh!