Lethargic horse

Aniseed

Visit site
Im having trouble with Aniseed at the moment as she has completely lost her spark and doesn't have the energy to do anything. Its really frustrating as everything was coming together with her schooling and we are back to square one again. Even out hacking with another horse she can't be bothered to canter. She is currently on 1 scoop of competition mix, 2 handfulls of Justgrass and a scoop of garlic a day divided between 2 feeds and is at grass 24/7 (although there isn't much in the field). She isn't putting on weight as you would expect for a welsh cob at this time of year and is in medium work 4-5 days a week. She was wormed with a broad spectrum wormer at the end of April. I have spoken to a nutritionist who said I'm feeing her correctly, she has just chilled since she has been turned out. There must be something I can do as she isn't like this every summer. At the moment I can't jump as she doesn't pick up over them and to be honest I don't want to school her as its just really frustrating. One solution would be to bring her in at night as she is better over the winter when in but summer is meant to be my time where I don't have to muck out or worry about what time I get to the yard, and I can't really afford bedding and hay at the moment. Any suggestions I'm at a complete loss?!!

4leggedfurries

Sunny Somerset - surrounded by bare scorched field
Visit site
I'd get the horse checked out by the vet, sounds exacly like how squeak was a few weeks ago, esp noticable as being a shettie he is a real cheeky chappie. Turned out he had had a viral and bacterial infection which had knocked his liver about, giving him those symptoms. He's now mended after the vet put him on a high dose vitamin supplement.

Rubes

Visit site
this happened to my pony in the sun. we ended up having to ride late in the evening and with him coming in in the day and out at night
smile.gif

kellyeaton

Visit site
are you sure the weather is just not getting to her? gets some bloods run on her just incase? drop some of your just grass and add more comp mix see if that helps!