Lets hear it for the 'oldies'

TRECtastic

Visit site
My TREC horse Henry is 20 this year , quite high mileage and he had a couple of health issues last summer.

I kept saying I don't want 2 horses and I definitely don't want a youngster , but all the time thinking I'm going to end up with 2 !!

So the start of the year I had the opportunity to share Milo, he's 20 this year as well , 14'3 Irish cob. Very low mileage but very willing , well schooled when younger . I did think about it for a bit then thought give it a go for 6 months

So far he has been delightful, I need too slowly build up his fitness out hacking but the obstacle practice we have done so far has just been brilliant , he's so willing and interested in learning

I know he won't be around as long as a youngster but I'm hoping to have lots of fun with my new 'oldie'

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
awww lovely
My oldies are retired, aged 22 and 23, both been busy girls throughout their lives and both rescue horses who are now a bit creaky for regular work but love getting up to plenty of mischief
43950265_2066677986702729_1525356780475908096_n.jpg

meleeka

Visit site
I have two 25 year old and a 20 year old. The 25 year old was given to me this year. She needed a forever home and I had the room. I also have a 10 year old mini who I had promised a playmate, but he’ll have to wait now until one of the others goes. He loves stirring up trouble so probably keeps them all youthful!

huskydamage

Visit site
My 26yr old was still in full work up until injuring her tendon nearly 2yrs ago. I've now retired her from hunting and endurance and no jump/gallop anymore. But she still enjoys her hacking. I took her on hound exercise end of last summer and she loved it. I don't want to push her too much as she owes me nothing and want her to last. But I may try a couple of short distance fun rides this year as she loves it and looks v peed off when my other horse goes off in trailer without her! Hope you have lots if fun with your new oldie

pansymouse

Visit site
My 25 year old is in as much work as I want to do - in fact she would like to do more than I have time for. I spend most of my time holding her back and trying to keep her to a sensible pace. She loves to jump and is far better at than I am.

Visit site
I took Flint out to the local show last year at the age of 28. He hadn't been to a show in 6 years. In his youth he was the ultimate show pony. He never put a hoof wrong and won a hell of a lot! Did he act his 28 years of age? Did he heck! He danced and pranced round his inhand class! Still managing to come 5th of 9! And as for the lead rein ... He TOWED me along! Lead rein ponies are supposed to go on the end of the lead sweetly not be clung onto for grim death whilst the little toad still managed to get a few canter strides in! Still came 2nd of 5 ... really not sure how! 😂😂😂

But could I be annoyed at him?!?!?! Of couree not! He was having an absolute whale of a time!

Annagain

Visit site
Monty, 22 years apart when he was an hour old and coming 2nd at his first ever county standard veteran showing class last year
sBdxUCW.jpg

lrdTb2a.jpg

...and Archie also 23 I never have photos of him ridden as we don't do much exciting stuff but he still had enough oomph to go the fastest he's ever been with me on the beach on boxing day and then go all the way back to the trailer sideways! This was his first time turned out naked last spring. He didn't stay that colour long.
8rWMkf3.jpg

teddypops

Visit site
My oldies are 31 and 28. The 31yo has been retired a year but still likes to perform around the field! The 28yo is still in full work, she is very fast and forward going and doesn’t feel any different to what she did 15 years ago when I bought her. They are the 2 to the left of this pic.

Attachments

• 71E63F03-3312-45F2-952D-80E513EA0244.jpeg
    71E63F03-3312-45F2-952D-80E513EA0244.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 7

chaps89

Visit site
My share horse is 19 so not a real oldie by comparison to some.
But he's currently learning piaffe, still working at AM level, still does working equitation, would do more jumping if I had the inclination and is more than capable of scaring the living daylights out of me out hacking the daft beggar!
He is a bit stiff now so can take a touch longer to get going and lateral work is our friend but long may he continue.

JJS

Visit site
Six is rising 26. He's been out of work since last summer, although due to lack of a rider than lack of soundness or willing. When ridden, however, he was still more than happy to do this. Oldies are the best! I hope you have lots of fun with yours, OP :)

lJp18gil.jpg

pippixox

Visit site
My 21 year old basically retired 2 years ago when I nearly lost him to a brain abscess. But he recovered (it could have been a tumour, but we weren’t going to ct and he continued to eat while he couldn’t see out of one eye and had nose bleeds, and it went down)
He was was my first horse when I was 15 after loving horses from a far since a little girl and having lessons for 5 years. He’s been with me through exams, illness, break up, house moves, marriage and 2 children! It’s been a busy 12 years

Was going to attach a picture of him last weekend having a little walk in hand but can’t work out how to make the image small enough to upload?

He is arthritic (ex racer) but he is happy living out and flirting with the ladies!

Hollychops

Visit site
We have 2 oldies at home, 38 and 26! Both are retired due to the fact that no one seems to want the oldie even though she puts most others to shame and the youngster is abit creaky. Both go for walks at the weekend and are healthy and well.

The eldest Meg, was and still is a fabulous lead rein, first ridden pony, the nicest mare you could ever meet and has never put a foot wrong. The other Deevi, is a brilliant 2nd pony, the sought that would look after a child whilst teaching them to manage a pony with a sense of humour and a little bit of attitude.They were my daughters 1st and 3rd ponies and are not likely to go anywhere now but to the big field in the sky when the time is right.

eahotson

Visit site
I met a lovely family at a small unaffiliated show with a 25 year old mare.She has cushings and mild arthritis.The vet says she has to be kept ticking over and total retirement is contraindicated for her.So.They have learned to manage the cushings, do inhand classes with her, small equitation classes and she is allowed to jump up to 50 cms.She looked well and happy.She has a strictly monitored 4 hours turnout each day,a sugar free snack ball and 3 small haynets tied round the stable so she has to move in the stable.

Hollychops

Visit site
I did some in hand showing last year with my oldie. Our first attempt and came home with 3 rosettes. No one could believe how old Meg was, even though she did get beat in the Veteran class by a horse that was 10 years younger, obese and not as well mannered, but that's life. Planning on doing some more with her this year. Wont take the youngster as she isnt as keen at doing stuff in hand and has a real 'You want me to do what? No thanks Mum' look on her face. Although i do fancy giving horse agility ago with them both

thommackintosh

Visit site
Here's my old chap - 20 years young and covered in mud from our hack the other weekend. Over the summer we were still clearing 1m fences and he loves his work. When we're out in company he puts the youngsters to shame with his energy.

mud.jpg

Reactions: JJS

TRECtastic

Visit site
20181229_142336.jpg20181223_160150.jpg

Pic of Milo tacked up and ready for ( slow ) action 😁
He isn't clipped at the moment , will give him a chest clip . I can bury my hands in his coat it's that thick .

Henry and Milo with their Xmas present 😁

Chippers1

Visit site
I lost my oldie in 2017 at 25 but he was brilliant, he retired two years before and was very laminitic and EMS but was so naughty, no one believed me how naughty he was because he had such an angelic face! I had to give up group hacking because he used to take off with me if anyone went into trot, it was always a race!
He was such a superstar, only 13hh and the weirdest conformation of long body and tiny little legs but he would jump anything you put in front of him and often if I turned him out for a bit and there were jumps in the field he'd go and jump them himself. He'd loudly neigh to me every morning and evening when i'd walk up the drive or round to his turnout pen and would be extra loud if I was late.

He was such a character and I miss him absolutely loads. Some of my favourite pics:FB_IMG_1547638705237.jpgFB_IMG_1547638787576.jpgHe loved xcFB_IMG_1547638796160.jpgFB_IMG_1547638834110.jpg