Letting a horse go on trial before sale

ktj1891

Visit site
I have prospective buyers of my horse wanting to trial him before they buy him as they have been burnt in the past by previous purchases.

I am interested to know what peoples thoughts are on letting a horse go on trial before potential purchase and what you would stipulate must be done in terms on length of trial, management whilst in their care, deposit/sale price etc.

In my specific case they want to trial him for 2 weeks and turn him out with the group to see how he settles, get a quick vet check and back check and just see how he settles in general on the yard and being ridden in a different environment.

I have gone back and said he can go for 1 week trial, must not be turned out with others, vets and travel fees must be covered, a contract drawn up, a sale price agreed beforehand and that if sold I must have first refusal if they ever have/need to sell him.

This is a heart-breaking sale for me and I'm still not 100% decided on what I want to do but for me having a loving home where he will be looking after, loved and cared for appropriately is paramount.

Any advice/tips or things I have missed, please share!

ihatework

Visit site
I'm sure most responses you will receive will be 'don't do it'

I'm not quite of that mindset, if you feel this is the right home then it's worth considering.

If you do it then do the following:
He is to be paid for in full before he leaves, with a written full refund on return providing uninjured.
He is to be vetted before he leaves.
Keep your insurance going for the trial period just in case

lottiepony

Visit site
I've let a horse go on trial before. It was for 2 weeks but they called after 5 days to say they wanted her. I did take a deposit and a full 'loan' type contract was drawn up.

The only thing I don't like about your post would be the group turnout as we all know there will be a few heels flying and seems an unnecessary risk. It would be no different to getting a new horse and going through the process of introduction to a herd gradually and carefully by having separate turnout next to potential field buddies.

I did get a very good feeling about these people which is why I agreed to the trial - they too had previous problems. I'm actually still in contact with them which is nice. must have been about 8 years ago now!

Damnation

Visit site

I'm not quite of that mindset, if you feel this is the right home then it's worth considering.

He is to be paid for in full before he leaves, with a written full refund on return providing uninjured.

This all over.

When I bought my first horse they were kind enought to let me trial her for a fortnight and I appriciated it.

But yes - get money in full up front stating full refund on return within X amount of time provided the horse and all its belongings are returned in the condition in which they left you.

be positive

Visit site

I agree, I have let the odd one go on trial but only if I feel they are totally committed to the purchase, vetting before he leaves means you are covered if anything does go wrong, I had one trial go pear shaped when the buyer gave the horse dusty hay, they knew the horse had an allergy, then tried to get the price down when it "failed" the vetting due to coughing, now I will only allow vettings done under my supervision, I know most people are honest but it will give them wriggle room if something shows on the vetting that you were unaware of and not there to see at the time.

Payment is down to you, I always hold the money for a week just in case anyway, as if someone was really unhappy with their purchase for the sake of the horse I would take it back as long as it returned in the same condition it left. On the group turnout that will be their risk, if he gets injured you will not be responsible so returning an injured horse is not an option, I would never put a new horse, especially one on trial, out with a group, it may go with one other but not out in a herd.

Last edited:

Junebug44

Visit site
I had a month's trial and knew I wanted him after 2 weeks. I had to insure and sign an agreement that he would be returned as seen with appropriate compensation for any injuries that would affect his future sale price. Not sure how enforceable this is by law - there was an element of trust here, I'm sure .

Bubblewrap

Visit site
Such a difficult one, we had a pony on a months trial when my daughter was young, she had had a bad fall and lost her confidence and it was important he was the right one. It was a word of mouth purchase so we both had a close mutual friend, which probably made it easier for her to let us have him. We fully insured him. The upshot of it was we took him home, had a few Easter PC outings and had him vetted in week 2 and took the money straight over to them after he had passed. He stayed with us until he died a couple of years ago enjoying a long and happy life. We kept in touch with them although they never visited him during the loan or after.
Personally, although I have never sold, I would be very reluctant to let one go on trial unless it was nearby and I could keep a close eye on things, so I can see both sides. I think you need to find out as much about the purchasers as possible x

SpringArising

Visit site
What will you do OP if he gets injured in some way in their care and it renders him unsellable/unridable? You need to think that one through.

They might have been burnt in the past but that's not your problem, blunt as it sounds.

pixie27

Visit site
I did it with my old pony, and got seriously messed around. We drew up a contract, they left a deposit (non-refundable if they didn't want him - which they signed in the contract). I thought it was the perfect home - then they started sending me messages saying he was lame, dangerous, not as described etc. and wanted to return him. No one who knew the pony could believe this, but I said I'd have him back but they'd lose their deposit. They massively kicked off and harassed me for weeks. In the end I returned half of it. Pony came back his normal sweet, lovely, sound self - turned out buyers just decided they didn't want a horse (and had a bit of a reputation for being nasty, which I obviously didn't know before agreeing!).

I'd never ever do it again. And from personal experience, you can't really judge a horse on a week's behaviour - it's going to take time for it to settle and get used to new owners etc.

If you do go for it, just make sure you have a watertight contract, and make sure you're completely covered for if the pony breaks while in their custody.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
What will you do OP if he gets injured in some way in their care and it renders him unsellable/unridable? You need to think that one through.

They might have been burnt in the past but that's not your problem, blunt as it sounds.

This. I think you'd need to say they only have grounds to return him if you've misdescribed him or if there's a pre-existing medical condition (which you didn't know about, so couldn't tell them about and which didn't show up on the vetting) comes to light. Otherwise they could return him for eg a devastating field injury and get a refund, if the contract just says return if they're not happy. Also you could get put under pressure, eg if he colicked from stress/bad management in the new home and they refuse to pay for the operation/do the rehab. I know in that scenario it wouldn't be your fault or your problem (if you'd drawn up a good contract), but if they think there's the possibility of a refund and washing their hands of the matter by guilt tripping you, some people would do it.

You need to think about what happens if he dies in the week he's with them. If it's you who's kept the insurance up, who gets the death payment? Theoretically, I can see a possible scenario where they get a refund from you, because the horse is dead so they no longer want him, leaving you to pay for the disposal perhaps, but also they could possible get the insurance death payment as the new owners of the horse?

The other thing is, no matter how the contract goes, you can't force them to give you first refusal if they sell. If you want control of the horses future you need to retain ownership and loan out (with all the risk that entails) instead.

Last edited:

Fiona

Visit site
While I think a trial in a 'pony club first pony' situation is marvelous, I'm really not sure in an adult/horse type scenario unless you know the vendors or know the livery yard where the horse will be living.

Definitely have the horse full five stage vetted before it leaves your property (obviously at their expense), draw up a written agreement, and stipulate no group turnout.

Fiona

Cecile

Visit site
I don't think asking that you must have first refusal if they ever sell in the future would be legally binding, once you have sold I doubt you have any say in the matter, although you could offer enough so that you would be the top of their list

I have had 2 on LWVTB but even my husband was confused with the idea, once they arrived any problems I would work it out and I knew they were staying with me, I left a deposit, had the vet straight out, they met the farrier and as they were certainly not going in with my others had a paddock of their own and settled in very quickly. I paid in full within a very short time probably a week

I have never sold but I know I would find it incredibly stressful if I owned a horse and let it go on loan with a stranger but then I suppose that is what selling is. Can't they get the vet out to your place, have free access to the horse from your yard. However if you like them and your gut instinct is saying all the right things, just go to their yard and check it out, take a copy of a utility bill from them (Council tax to prove they live there) and visit every 2 or 3 days, you will then drive them nuts and they will make up their mind quickly. If they livery at a yard introduce yourself to the yard owner and leave your contact details

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
I have never sold but I know I would find it incredibly stressful if I owned a horse and let it go on loan with a stranger but then I suppose that is what selling is.

Not really. Selling is taking money and handing over the possession, in this case a horse. As a private seller who hasn't tried to be dishonest, that exchange is where your involvement ends. Loaning/trialing first leaves the horses owner in a much more precarious situation, with the new people having the ability to either steal/totally ruin their valuable asset (the horse) and then not pay/want a refund, and leaving the horses owner with a huge problem to sort out.

benz

Visit site
I understand why people want it and its great as a buyer but such a risk for the seller. I would never do it again and wouldnt advise anyone to do it the risk is too great, too many what ifs and it went very badly for me - i was left with an unsellable horse that needed vet treatment due to the buyer using badly fitting tack.

monte1

Visit site
We originally had my daughter's super pony club pony up for sale, I had pulled the advert as she had to have minor surgery for an injury and was rehabbing back into fitness and full work , I had a call from a family who saw an old advert that had not been deleted . I explained she was due to go back up for sale but had had an injury, they were still very keen.
it was one of those times they described what they were looking for and she just ticked every box and i really liked the sound of them
so a few weeks later, once she was signed off by our vet, I agreed to let them view her - they came twice in one weekend and just loved her, we agreed a price and they arranged a 5 stage vetting- long story short, she failed slightly on flexion on one front leg.
we had a chat, their vet advised she was a super pony exactly what they wanted and worth a punt and said to us maybe a month's trial would clinch the deal to show she was fine and would remain sound doing the work they wanted her for.
They had driven from over 2 hours away to vet and brought transport to collect her and I guess I just had a gut feeling they really were the right family, so we drew up a trial loan agreement in the yard there and then, she left a sizable wad of cash with me loaded her and took her away.

some might say I was foolhardy, but it has worked out really well, they absolutely loved her, paid me in full within the month.
That was over four years ago - she has had a minor injury since ( completely unrelated to original one) and they have kept in touch to let me know how she is doing and asking advice about box rest routine etc) they love her to pieces, she is the darling of the yard and has had the finest care and I don't think she will ever leave them, she is about 17 years old now!

so, it can work out if you are careful, i guess sometimes it is worth the risk!

SpringArising

Visit site
Also, two weeks is not a long time at all for a horse to settle. Some take six months. So their reason for "wanting to see how to gets on with the herd" is a bit silly. It's going to take a while for them to sort out who's who and get themselves sorted.

What happens if at the end of the two weeks they feel he hasn't settled and send him back? The horse has gone through the upheaval of moving, being integrated into a new group, and now he's back to square one and you could have had the cash from someone else in that time.

If I were you I'd say no trial, but they're welcome to come and see him again, although you'll still be showing him to prospective buyers in that time.

pennyturner

Visit site
I did it once, and never again. Delivered my lovely saint of a horse 2 hrs away, then had to go back and get him 2 weeks later. I know in my heart that she was one of those (sadly all too common) people who dither and don't commit, and that I could have saved a lot of messing about for me and the horse by insisting she commit or not bother.

rowan666

Visit site
I let mine go on a months trial, buyer was looking for a genuine family all rounder that small kids included could ride, I had nothing to hide with the horse as she's totally faultless and as much for mine and horses benefit as theirs I wanted to make sure it was the right long term home because it was to be a vastly different routine for her and I wasn't in a position to buy her back once she was sold. They had her vetted within 2 weeks and asking price was paid within 3 weeks so they didn't even use the full month trial that was offered. I think especially with kids ponies it's really important to get it right so if owner point blank refused a trial I would be dubious of its suitability for the purpose it was advertised, it's not like when you buy a competition horse and you can check it's record

FfionWinnie

Visit site
It would be crazy to "turn him out with the group". I have once bought a pony on trial. I treated her with kid gloves and the LAST thing I would be doing was to turn her out with a group.

Incidentally this pony did a grand job for 2 years and then I sold her on. She wasn't in the new home long at all before she got a devastating kick injury from another horse through an electric fence and was put down! She was never a bother in a herd or a pony that got into trouble. I'd known her for about 8 years in various homes. It just takes one tiny bit of bad luck for a disaster to occur.

I'd let them have any sort of trial they wanted. At my home, under my supervision.

Cecile

Visit site
Not really. Selling is taking money and handing over the possession, in this case a horse. As a private seller who hasn't tried to be dishonest, that exchange is where your involvement ends. Loaning/trialing first leaves the horses owner in a much more precarious situation, with the new people having the ability to either steal/totally ruin their valuable asset (the horse) and then not pay/want a refund, and leaving the horses owner with a huge problem to sort out.

Ahh yes I see thank you, on the other note I was more nervous of taking mine with LWVTB just in case something went wrong whilst they were with me and couldn't wait to pay for them. However there are some real odd balls out there so I guess gut instinct and covering any possible problems as much as possible on behalf of the seller when agreeing LWVTB has to play a huge role in this idea. Sentiment seems to be playing a huge role with OP so if this horse is for sale in the future by these buyers unless OP is willing to pay market and sentimental value for first refusal I can't see how buying back can be guaranteed or agreed on

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I hate trials and lwvtb....it doesn't really protect the buyer any more than if they just bought a horse that is not as described. The only extra it gives a buyer is the ability to return if they just don't like the horse, but most sellers wouldn't want to accept a horse returned on that basis.
And as a seller there are just so many pitfalls and potential situations that could end up costing you a huge amount of money and/or heartbreak....it's just not worth it.
Tell them that you're sorry, but you just can't risk something so precious being in a situation that you have no control over - don't feel bad, they will get the same response from most sellers and sooner or later they are just going to have to take the plunge and buy something.

Luci07

Visit site
No and I would not ask for it either. A new horse takes a while to settle and it took me considerably longer than a couple of weeks to settle in my then new horse to his new herd. There is also a temptation to try to do everything at once on a trial and not all horses react well to that. Its too big a risk. I appreciate they have had a bad experience but that isn't your problem. I would only suggest a trial where perhaps there is a genuine concern over a fitness or niggle and time is needed to asses this.

indie1282

Visit site
Another who would say no... I would be happy for them to ride it as much as they wanted at my own yard but I wouldn't let it leave.

Imo too much can go wrong. Sorry

Bernster

Visit site
I'm in the no camp as well, although would let them have a trial whilst horse remained on the yard. I wouldn't ask for this as a buyer. Too much risk on the seller's side too. I did have a trial for 4 weeks but horse stayed on existing yard, gave me plenty of chance to check if we were a good match, and we were.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I am currently looking to buy a horse, and would ask for a trial period first. But having said that, the "trial period" could just as easily be at the seller's yard rather than the unsettlement of bringing a horse back to my own yard, and I certainly wouldn't expect turnout with everyone else to "see how they get on". OMG, noooohhhh! That is asking for trouble and frankly I think the buyer is taking the P!ss big-time in asking for it.

I know of a dealers yard where they offer a week's trial: this takes place at their yard and their yard only. The potential buyer commits to paying I think 10% of the purchase price, non-returnable, and you are able to do everything that you'd ever want to do with the horse if you bought it i.e. ride solo/in company, jump etc etc, plus have it vetted, but the horse stays at the yard. I think you have a week to decide if the horse is right for you or not, and you have plenty of time to e.g. take a friend/instructor for their opinion, or whatever. As a potential buyer I'd be quite happy with that sort of set-up and IMO that would be a far better option for both parties.

A good horse with a nice soft mouth can be quite easily ruined by a bad rider with hands like a leg of mutton and/or bad handling, and it won't take very long either..............

IF you do allow the horse to go away from your yard, make it a condition that the potential buyer has the horse vetted by a vet acceptable to both parties BEFORE it comes back to your yard!! Just be canny, that's all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Jnhuk

Visit site
I would only do this if you got a good vibe off them and that you had checked out the yard where the horse is going to ensure suitable and their biosecurity measures as I would be wary of strangles as sounds like wherever the horse is going doesn't isolate newcomers etc...

- they were his ideal home
- you had no other suitable interest
- they were local enough that you could go down at any time and check things whenever you wanted
- if not already known to you by word of mouth then asking around about them in horsey circles raised no issues

Vetting before horse leaves your premises is a must and written loan/trial agreement and they would be due cost of any second vetting on the horses return if any concerns that horse was not returned in the same state

Is there any reason why they cannot do a trial at yours?

Last edited:

ktj1891

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your responses. I have decided to decline my offer to them and he will no longer be going on trial. It is just too risky for both him and myself and no real benefit to us. They are very nervous riders and have been stung before by previous horses/dealers so they wanted him at their yard so that they could test him in all areas plus get him checked over by physio and vet which they said they have at their yard as they do not want to do a proper vetting.

They are about an hour away from me hence why they want to trial him at their yard. I have however, gone back to them now and advised that I will not loan him out for the 2 weeks they have requested. I have said that they can come and see him as much as they like at my yard, get vet/physio out to him at my yard and also box him out to a separate venue if they want.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've done it once and would never do it again. I was returned a horse which had lost a serious amount of weight and confidence in the two weeks that he was away.

Cecile

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your responses. I have decided to decline my offer to them and he will no longer be going on trial. It is just too risky for both him and myself and no real benefit to us. They are very nervous riders and have been stung before by previous horses/dealers so they wanted him at their yard so that they could test him in all areas plus get him checked over by physio and vet which they said they have at their yard as they do not want to do a proper vetting.

They are about an hour away from me hence why they want to trial him at their yard. I have however, gone back to them now and advised that I will not loan him out for the 2 weeks they have requested. I have said that they can come and see him as much as they like at my yard, get vet/physio out to him at my yard and also box him out to a separate venue if they want.

I think that is a most sensible solution for you and your horse

I was thinking of LWVTB this afternoon as have never given it much thought previously and I can't think of anything when someone is looking to sell which can be used/tried and/or taken away for a fortnight prior to buying
Car, boat, dog, cat, house, tractor, livestock or anything I can think of. Even with a car its generally a drive around the block before money changes hands and that is never alone. Imagine going to view a dog which can command huge amounts of money and saying would it be possible to take it home for a fortnight to see if it fits in with what I want before I commit to buying