Level of 'training' for a weanling

Chambon

www.picturetrail.com
If you purchased a foal from a professional stud, when you went to collect it, what level of handling/training would you expect the foal to have had? Would you expect it to be halter broken? Lunged? Not handled at all?

Just curious as to people's expectations or real life experiences please.

pixie

Visit site
It should be halter trained, and be used to having its hooves played with and being groomed. I wouldn't expect it to be able to be tied up.
A foal certainly should not have been lunged!

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
If it's from a professional stud then it may not have been halter trained at all, although they would probably spend the it's last week with them training it to lead, it would have lived in a herd until then.

As for lunging - why would you lunge a weanling?? I would not lunge a horse until it was at least 3!

Tia

Visit site
I would expect it to be halter trained. Be trained to walk in-hand, stand reasonably still to be groomed and be able to pick all 4 feet up. I would expect it to know some voice commands and respect them at least some of the time.

I would not expect it to be lunged (and in fact that would actually put me off) and if it had not been handled at all then I would be offering a far lower price.

Any weanlings I have sold are halter trained, behave well for grooming procedures, walk out in-hand in a calm and collected manner and know at least "stand" and "walk-on". They are used to having legs touched and wrapped, they are used to having rugs on whether or not I actually keep them in a rug. They are well behaved for the farrier and vet and I generally have done some work on having them live in a field alone.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I would expect it to have had a headcollar on before and be happy to be touched all over; to have had it's feet trimmed (or at least looked at) even if it still isn't very good about picking the feet up. I would expect a friendly character that wants to get to know me, that is either good to catch or at least walk upto it in the field without it shooting off. Hopefully it would be leading but not a great problem if not, that is soon learnt. Once they have learnt the basics to be a nice person all the rest will follow easily. I would be seriously worried if it had been lunged at that age.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Depends I suppose on what the stud have told you you would be presented with.

Personally, I wouldn't be interested in buying one that wasn't well handled and leading quietly. However, I would expect this to be happening from the day the foal was born more or less - so hopefully no big deal.

However, that's just me. Many people are more than happy to buy something unhandled, and have the exprience to deal with them.

I certainly wouldn't expect the weanling to be lunging etc.

But, bottom line is what agreement you have had with the stud - rather than general expectations.

Sal_E

Visit site
I agree with everyone else in terms of expectations, but in my experience they are often virtually unhandled from a professional yard - they live in the herd & are whipped in to get on the box!

eventrider23

Visit site
I think experctations is the operative word here. I am totally disgusted with what has happened with Chambon's weanling in her above post and agree this was totally done the wrong way. However I am one the fence when it comes to handling the babies excessively from day 1. My curreny yearling has been handled sine birth and is a complete darling who i can do anything with. Saying that I have known a lot of youngsters that have been handled since birth and have become incredibly arrogant and overconfident with people as they got older.
I have worked with quite a few people who prefer to leave the babies running out in a field virtually unhandled (except for the odd pat at feeding time in the field). These youngsters are rounded up into a huge indoor barn in the winter together and once they turn 3, are brought and started to handle more.
I have started and competed quite a few of these horses and all in all, whilst a LOT of hard work has to be put in initially, I have found that they are soo much more respectful and mannerly horses as they got older. None of them are handled harshly and everything is done very slowly to build up there trust but i think that because they have not been soo handled as babies, they don't become bolshy, etc.
It remains to be seen how my yearling will turn out as he gets older, saying that I don't over handle him myself..he will start coming in soon and has his feet picked out and a cuddle daily with his feed in the field everyday but other than that i have left him all summer to grow up and be a horse.
He is currently running out with a yearling colt that until 3 weeks ago had never been handled other than to have food given in the field. Going very gently he now comes to call, allows you to groom him, pick out front feet and wears a headcollar and leads around sweetly. he is a very loving little boy although still a bit wary.

Salcey

Visit site
I think its like anything, a constant small amount of handling is a good thing. Our youngsters are left in the field 'wild' until weaning and then brought in in pairs to begin to be handled. All of our babies have foal slips on,can be led, and groomed before being sold unless stated in the advert to be taken from the field.

As you may have seen in previous post of mine, my own little filly whose now two was over handled when little due to needing an op at the age of 9weeks. She grow into a right stoppy little mo with no respect for humans and needed turning away with the youngstock out 24/7. She was not handled except for worming and feet. Shes now 2 1/2 and is now returning to a well balanced young lady, can now be led and groomed. The only thing we now need to get over is that she panics if she can't see her mates when shes bought in.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
I am curious about something, if you dont handle youngsters, how do you correct any issues they may have with their feet?? What happens when they need the vet out for vaccinations let alone another other problem? My foal was well handled in his first week, had a few weeks away with mum. When we went to get him back he was a pain to get the foal slip on & then to load. Since he has been home he has been handled most days, which is just as well as he does need a foot looked at, which is prone to be a bit boxy. He has been branded, never even bothered him. He loaded to the show, stayed quiet happliy in the stable with mum, led around the show without any problems. He is great to lead & handle, but can sometimes be a bit nippy which I would expect from a colt. There is no need to go overboard, but they should know that humans mean them no harm. I also think it has got to be easier to teach a foal then a yearling who is going to be that much bigger & stronger. Just my opinion, I am not having a dig at anyone, simple question at the start, so please no bitchy comments.

milliepup

Visit site
I agree with Magic104. I own a small stud and handle the foals daily. Even before weaning they all lead nicely, can be caught and are used to feet picking out and farrier. I just want the foals to be well balanced and respectful so the new owners can carry this on without having to start from scratch. Ow and one had a slight problem recently and had to have injections everyday. He would let me put the headcollar on and would just stand without moving while it was done, 10 days worth and he didn't move an inch. I do use clicker training as well but not on a regular basis. It works for some but not others.
In the day they are in the field and at night they come into a big barn. They lead in pairs and the others are quite happy to wait for their turn to be led in.