Leyland Cypress hedge - toxic?

newbie_nix

Visit site
I just spotted our 2 greedy geldings laying into the cypress hedge that borders one side of their paddock. I am pretty sure its a Leyland Cypress aka leylandii. Normally they leave it alone so I hadn't worried until now but they are both good doers, and on a track system. We are trying to keep the weight off so they are on minimal grass (not much left on the track) and we are feeding hay.

As soon as I spotted they were eating it I ran an electric tape and moved them away. Just googled and not much info out there - some sites presuming its ok but then I stumbled across the RSPCA site saying its 'potentially toxic' Eeeek. Not sure if I should be panicking or not?

They don't seem to be showing any signs of poisoning and i am going to keep a close eye on them - the good thing is we keep them at home rather than at livery. its 9pm here in NZ. Not sure whether to make an emergency vet call.....

Leyland Cypress is one of the most common types of hedging around so surely if it is toxic to horses I would have heard of incidents involving it?

Anyone on here had any issues with their horse eating it? I did a quick search on here and a thread suggested cypresses generally are fine for horses but I'm not sure where the poster got their info from. Anyone know for certain please?

The RSPCA page is here
http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/horses/health/poisoning/common

but then I have spotted other horse forums suggesting they make good shelter belts for horse pastures - help - confused!!

rockysmum

Visit site
From the BHS Pasture Management leaflet

Privet, Leylandii, Broom, Box and Laurel hedges are all poisonous and
should be avoided. Yew and Laburnum are highly toxic.

I would definately keep them away from it, if they are eating it. From what I understand its not deadly like Yew, I think its similar to Ragwort i.e. cumulative, but if they have eaten a substantial amount I would be having a word with the vet.

be positive

Visit site
Someone on here lost a Donkey recently from eating this, the pony was ok I think but did need vet treatment, it is toxic so be very aware of any symptoms. I would get the vet in the morning, better safe than sorry.

newbie_nix

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Eeek poor donkey! OK so now we aren't sure if it is indeed Leylandii or the closely related cupressus macrocarpa AKA monterey cypress - they look very similar in pics. I just spoke to my step father in law who is an ex-horticulturalist and he suggested that farms around here tend to use macrocarpa more readily than leylandii.

Macrocarpa is described as also being toxic but mainly to pregnant cattle and possibly only mildly toxic to horses. I am hoping therefore it is macrocarpa and not leylandii. But either way I am not taking any chances. They are being kept off it by a portable electric fence for now and hubby is going to run another hot wire tomorrow to keep them permanently away.

I am going to stay up till midnight and keep checking them. By then it will have been 3+ hours since they ate the stuff. Presuming they still look happy and well I will leave them overnight then will call vet first thing tomorrow morning and check. Also will take another close look at the hedge in question in daylight and try and ID it properly.

Gah, why do these things have to happen late at night and out of regular vet hours!

Clodagh

Visit site
I had a pony that ate some, don't know which and she nearly died. Started off going blind and fitting then collapsing and frothing, it was horrible. She did recover but it was a long haul.

newbie_nix

Visit site
Clodagh I am so sorry to hear that, poor pony. I hope you don't mind my asking but how quickly did her symptoms come on?

newbie_nix

Visit site
Update. Seem fine this morning - phew. They are still being kept well away from the hedge and we will be putting in a permanent hot wire asap to keep them off it, just in case.

We only moved in here about 3 months ago and I have been busy IDing and checking all the plants and trees (we have over 100 trees) in the paddocks and gardens. Other hazards (to horses and/or cattle and even people!) I have found so far include water hemlock, arum lillies, a small patch ragwort which I have grubbed out, numerous cherry type trees, magnolias and even a Black Locust in the garden (DEADLY to horses) which is now getting big enough to poke over the hedge into the cattle paddock. Its not near the horses but it will be going nevertheless. The problem with inheriting someone else's planting is having to figure out what's what. All of the above are either being removed or fenced off and horses kept well away.

I asked about the hedge when we first looked at getting horses and we were told ' everyone has these, they are fine' . But I am glad I checked and will be keeping them well away just in case. So now all they have access to is grass and the poplar trees for shade. There is of course a bit of buttercup around but they seem to avoid this. Hoping for no more dramas.....