Leyland Daf cold start tips?

Saf

community.webshots.com
Hi

Does anyone have any tips for starting my old Daf in the cold weather, started first time all summer but seems to hate the cold
shocked.gif

Not ever had a lorry before so do I press the accelerator? Can't seem to find a choke so presume is automatic?
Tips please
grin.gif

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
If its struggling to start, it may be the heater plugs are worn/old

Diesels usually have a hand throttle (works like a choke lever), but if the heater plugs are duff, then you will struggle I'm afraid
frown.gif

clipertyplop

Visit site
i was told by a very good machanic that the older dafs are prone to being lazy starters because they are on a 12 volt system, very expencive hobby to change to 24 volt, but i think you can buy a powerpack that you can clip onto existing battery to give a boost and i dont think that they are that expencive now hope this helps
grin.gif
grin.gif

siennamum

Visit site
Leylands are terrible starters.
There are a couple of things you can do:
if your lorry was a commercial vehicle then you may have a tachygraph, it will continue to run even when the lorry is switched off and drain the battery. Your mechanic may be able to isolate it for you, worth checking with him. You can also ask him about a spray which is useful on cold mornings,can't remember what it's called but it does help.
I cover my battery with an old blanket when its standing on the yard, it stops the frost draining the battery.
I also start the lorry & run it for a bit at least once a week.
It may be worth investing in a good set of jump leads, as the lorry is likely to get worse as the winter wears on.

dieseldog

Visit site
Get an isolator switch fitted. When you park you turn the switch and it disconnects the batteries, it is then impossible for anything to drian them whilst it is parked. Turn the switch to on and everything is reconnected and away you go.