LGV speed limits to rise on SC roads in 2015

ROG

Visit site
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/11-million-boost-for-hauliers-as-speed-limit-raised

The change in speed limits for HGVs on single carriageways will come into force in early 2015 and will bring England and Wales in line with other European road safety leaders, such as Denmark and Norway. Depending on the consultation responses, the increase for dual carriageways will come in at the same time. The existing limits continue to apply until the change has been put into effect.

Alec Swan

Visit site
I suppose that eventually common sense had to prevail. It took 50 years, but hey-ho! All Continental made HGVs have engines and gearboxes which were designed to run at higher road speeds than those which apply here, so the savings in fuel consumption will be a help, at the very least.

A friend of mine drives for Morrisons and he says that all their HGVs are limited to 40 mph on single carriageways. Following them leads to huge frustrations for car drivers, and those HGVs which are limited in such a fashion, are a road safety risk.

Alec.

BBH

Visit site
As long as lorry drivers apply common sense. My road is very twisty and turny with lots of blind bends and blackout areas under tree canopies . There are no pavements or verges at all and the thought of lorries bearing down on cyclists, riders and pedestrians even faster is a death waiting to happen.

In principle I have no issue but I'm not convinced all roads are suitable .

ROG

Visit site
As long as lorry drivers apply common sense. My road is very twisty and turny with lots of blind bends and blackout areas under tree canopies . There are no pavements or verges at all and the thought of lorries bearing down on cyclists, riders and pedestrians even faster is a death waiting to happen.

In principle I have no issue but I'm not convinced all roads are suitable .
Driving to the conditions and not treating any limit as a target is the same for any driver - Professional drivers are more likely to comply than the average car driver

View

Visit site
Driving to the conditions and not treating any limit as a target is the same for any driver - Professional drivers are more likely to comply than the average car driver

My experience also, ROG.

Even in my car I stick to the limits applied to PCVs, and seem to arrive in one piece and less stressed than others rushing around using speed limits as targets.

I'm pleased that this is finally happening. I have never understood why the speed limit was 40mph for LGVs yet 50mph for PCVs (never mind being confusing for those of us that drive both!).