Libra hackabout - ok for youngster while changing shape?

horsemad32

Visit site
Have found good reviews online, just wanted to see if anyone on here had tried it. I'm looking at this for a youngster who's growing like a weed and likely to change significantly in the next year. It would be for hacking and schooling, no jumping.

kaiserchief

Visit site
I've got a Libra Trec treeless and I backed my youngster in it in Autumn 2012. I then rode most days in it through 2013 including a 12 mile fun ride and jumping (both in the arena and out hacking). I'm just now starting to look for a new saddle as although it's coped well and Kai's back is fabulous, I want something more supportive for both of us as I want to do a lot more jumping and fast rides this year.

DanceswithCows

Visit site
I have one and think it's ideal for this purpose - I treat mine as a glorified saddle pad, NO stirrups, I really can't see that stirrups are a good idea with these. But they are comfy and for short periods and light, flat work, fine.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I've got a Libra Trec - leather treeless one, which apparently they don't make anymore. Bought it on e-bay.

Its a lovely saddle; the seat area feels very stable and secure, BUT I don't like the fact that it feels very wide, uncomfortably so on my traddie-cob, who's wide to start with.

Also........ just a personal thing but I need my knee-rolls and on this saddle they're not much of a feature.

Personally I would hesitate to ride a youngster in this saddle.

Conversely, I've also got a Freemax Evo (treeless); and feel TOTALLY secure on that one as it has knee rolls and a more padded seat to it. I went for a two hour hack the other day; and when I came back home I felt like I'd been sitting in an armchair for the duration, could have done it all over again :) A lovely little saddle and if going the treeless route, one I'd recommend. Also it has a much narrower twist to it than most treeless saddles, which have this STOOPID leather bit right between your seat where you don't need it!!!! Which makes it unnecessarily wider :(

PS (oops, will probably get a slap on the wrist from admin here) - but meant to say that I'm selling my Libra Trec. So feel free to PM me if interested.

Funkyfilly024

Visit site
Hello, me here from the referenced thread!
Horse has now moved on, in the year I rode him in it his seemed a lot more happy and free moving.
I have kept the saddle, love it so much! Ditto harder to jump in it and more difficult at a gallop but that's also about your balance improving to do those, which it will do.
They are so beautifully light and comfy I could imagine that they would be good to introduce a saddle but honestly, despite loving it I wouldn't start a youngster in one as if you don't ride in a treeless usually your balance may not be great at first and I wouldn't confuse a youngster by having my balance all over the place.