Lice on yard! What to do about the grazing?

PaulineW

Visit site
So a horse on our little yard was found to have lice and was treated. Luckily he was in his own field at the time. We thought he was all clear and he joined our herd. Today I found out that he is still showing new lice, and owner has put him back in his own field!
So, apart from treating our horses, tack, etc, do we need to so anything about our field? The horse with lice was seen to scratch on the trees and fencing, so there is a good chance he left something. So annoyed right now as my cob is the hairiest thing out, and now needs treated.

honetpot

Visit site
Wait till you kids get headlice from school, its far more of a problem. There is no point in treating if you horse hasn't got lice, you either see the eggs or the little devils come to the top of the coat in warm weather. Some just seem to get them every year and the rest in the same field not.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I think you're being a bit over the top.. I use to turn my 2 in a herd of 16, one always had lice in his feathers and the owner struggled to get rid of them for the 5 years I was there. Resorted to jabs in the end but not one other horse caught lice. Never once did I think about tack, or grazing. Tons of horses have lice and you wouldn't even know. You don't treat unless they have it.

fredflop

Visit site
You can have a massive herd of horses and only one have lice, it’s not a massive problem just treat the affected animal

windand rain

Visit site
lice usually are found on a horse with compromised health. Keep them healthy and treat when needed. I conceed this is a generalisation but as others have said you can have one horse in a herd with lice and no others get them

Shay

Visit site
Horse lice are not like human head lice (other than the fact that they are the same genus of course!!) but I mean they are not as prone to spread through the herd as head lice do in a school. Basic normal bio security of cource - don't share rugs, brushes etc. But outside that there is no reason to belive your cob will get lice just becuase a herd mate has. If you are really worried get the doesect injection but to be honest i wouldn't worry.