Lice - Please help!!

saddlesore

Visit site
Hey guys, sorry for the topic but it turns out my new horse has lice
frown.gif
bathed him today with insecticide and left on the full 10 mins etc. However, after drying he was still itchy and i could still see some lice in the coat
confused.gif
I have never had this problem before so am a bit of a numpty! Should the shampoo kill the lice instantly or will thet die over the next day or two? Please help!!
confused.gif
confused.gif

samstar

Visit site
If that doesn't work then try lice powder. powder from top of mane down to top of tail along the spine, do this everyday. They are orrible little b****rs aren't they. good luck

carys220

Visit site
The vet gave us some liquid stuff, sure it was for sweet itch but it worked. Had to apply it from head to tail along the spine once a day for 3 days I think it was.

oklahoma

Visit site

My new horse had the same prob couple of months ago, i tried the powder and the insecticide but both never fully got rid of the problem. In the end i got a solution from the vets that works fantastically, had to put in on every few days- smelt horrible but it certainly did the job very quickly!!

pairciban

Visit site
The best thing imo is an injection of ivermectin from your vet, it's the same stuff that is in wormers.
My dad has two ponies that we tried EVERYTHING!!!!!! Powders, shampoo's, the liquid from the vet's, full clip and hog it get all the eggs of and get all of the above closer to the skin. The little b*****ds live on! Then had the ponies injected and finally got rid of them.

joeanne

Visit site
yeah get the ivermectin jab. you will need two jabs 14 days apart, rugs etc will need changing if you are using rugs.
we paid £110 for the two jabs plus call out, but we had tried everything to no avail, and probably spend that on powders and shampoo's that didnt work!

D

Donkeymad

It takes time for even a shampoo to kill off everything. Whatever treatment you use, you will need to repeat it until every last nit has hatched and the lice killed.

carys220

Visit site
Just remembered....the treatment the vet gave us was called Switch and it was made by Day Son & Hewitt. It contains permethrin solution as the active ingredient.

Have absolutely no idea why the vet prescribed a Sweet Itch product for lice but it worked!
grin.gif

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I use Cooper's Fly Repellent Plus - works well. It's also the only thing I've found that DOES work on midges. I have a mare who has suffered hell from Sweet Itch despite all the usual creams, lotions and potions - since I started using the Cooper's, she's not got a new rub on her (and we have BAD midges!)

carys220

Visit site
Just remembered, it was called SWITCH and it was made by Day Son & Hewitt, no idea why she gave us sweet itch treatment for lice but I aint gonna moan cos it worked!

BackInBlack

Visit site
my pony had injections from vets as well. one to kill the adults and the next one to finish off the eggs that had been laid. had to wash all his rugs, disinfect all brushes, buckets any equipment i used. also moved him out of his field for 2 weeks because they can only live off the body for that long - so that should have finished off all the ones that he had scratched onto trees, stable, etc