Lice

moocow

Visit site
Finally have the rescue foal quiet enough for a vet exam and he is riddled with lice. He is down in another yard at the mo and I wasn't there when the vet came so just asking if anyone has any experience of this kind of thing.

Vet says worse case he has ever seen. Vet has given antihelmintic injection but the amount of eggs on him are unreal. Any particular products, treatments or washes to recommend or avoid? Treatment wise anyone know how to get rid of such an infestation. Regular treatment everytime the eggs hatch is fine in theory but realistically there will always be viable eggs remaining.

Any advise would be great. Thanks.

ETS: The vet that has looked at him is 150 miles away so wont be following up.

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
You have to treat the foal again in 10 days because that's when the eggs hatch. The eggs are largely unaffected by the stuff that will kill adults, that's why you have to do it again in 10 days or so because the eggs will otherwise re-infest your ned. If the foal will tolerate it, I'd groom and groom and groom. Any insecticidal shampoo safe for young animals should offer some protection but I'd also look at building the foal up from the inside as a massive burden can cause anaemia in young animals, as well as loss of condition caused by the constant stress of terrible itching.

amycov

Visit site
I agree with BoF. But if you can't zap them then the kindest thing may be to clip the foal and rug. Weight of rug will obviously depend on breeding and amount of meat the little thing has on it.

Tnavas

Visit site
Bomb drench him with an Ivomec based wormer. Worm him weekly for three weeks and he'll come right. Ivomec kills all parasites through the blood supply. You could ask your vet to give him an intravenous dose to speed things along but that will be expensive.

As a rescue case he will probably benefit from a bomb drench for other internal parasites. My mare now nearly six had been running on the hills when I got her and at 6months had never been wormed the parasites that came out of her were horrendoous.

kellyeaton

Visit site
i wormed clipp the horse then wash in insectisedtal shampoo then apply coopers or spot on from the vets but if you do clip you are going to have to rug to keep him warm!

moocow

Visit site
thanks for the replies. I know they have to be re-treated but what I meant was that the infestation is so bad that it will be very difficult to break the life cycle i.e in 10 days the eggs will have hhatched and laid more eggs! Vet has injected him.

His condition is desparately poor. he is very underweight, spine fully visible and all ribs, hips and chest bones prominant. I don't think he could withstand constant heavy worming and drenches. Clipping is certainly an option.

Oh just in case anyone thinks I am horrible - he is a cruelty seizure.

Cahill

Visit site
deosect is very good.a small tin is £30 but it is very strong and has to be diluted and will last you ages.
you will need to use it 7-10 days again after.

angel1c

Visit site
My yearling had a really bad case of lice, i gave her ivermectin wormer, doused her in louse powder, then treated her every couple of days with coopers fly stuff, that stuff is great coz it kills the eggs too, which means you just have to groom groom groom as someone else said to get rid of the eggs that are left as once they are stuck to the hair, they stay there dead or not, the need to come out with the coat.

My little one is much happier now and although she still has some eggs, they are dead and i am just trying to groom them all out, most are gone except along her mane, but as she loses her winter coat she loses the eggs. Definitely keep up with the coopers stuff though coz it will stop re-infestation, kills any adult lice and kills egg development.

Mine's condition has really suffered and she nearly got some bald patches but i got to the lice before it got that far.

Hope this helps and sorry for rambling on !!!
blush.gif

Rainbowrider

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
deosect is very good.a small tin is £30 but it is very strong and has to be diluted and will last you ages.
you will need to use it 7-10 days again after.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this. It zaps lice dead within about 20 minutes. I re-treated for 3 weekends in a row, and they were gonners.

moocow

Visit site
Thats great advice. Thanks. Would the deosect be OK on his skin. He is so run down I would be a little bit worried that something so strong would irritate his skin. Poor little man.

Tnavas

Visit site
If you feel he'll not cope with the worming then at least give him one good dose of an Ivomec based wormer. It will help.

For the rest rub in liquid parafing into all the areas with the lice - this will smother them, he'll look a bit manky for a while but if you keep it up for a couple of weeks you should be able to get on top of them.

Piccies would be great 'cause then we can see his steady recovery.

I once had a wee welsh foal that had such bad lice that his hair fell off in sheets - we used Louse powder then, Ivomec wormers weren't available then.

Good luck with your rescue foal - it's really rewarding to see them come back to health.