Lifting back legs high in the morning?

Skhosu

Visit site
My connie has started looking a bit stiff, I think, in the morning. HE lifts his back legs very high when he comes out of his stable

Could it be a sign of arthritis? He is only 12..

claire1976

Visit site
He could have some stiffness in his hocks. Does he have a nice deep bed?
My TB mare used to walk very funny out of stable then when I changed to rubber mats she stopped. I think it helped ease her stiffness.

Enfys

Visit site
Sounds as if it could be stringhalt. I had a mare that did this, it used to wear off a bit after she'd walked for a minute or two and never affected her performance, I know someone who hunts a gelding with stringhalt and although his action looks weird he's perfectly happy.

Is there any chance you can leave your connie out so that he doesn't have chance to stiffen up? I know that that isn't always an option.

Perhaps your best bet is to get the vet out to have a look and put your mind at rest, at least then if it is arthritis/stringhalt you can do the appropriate thing towards easing it. I think arthritis can strike at any time especially if there has been a previous injury.

leanne123

Visit site
could be the on set of stringhalt, i had a tb once that had mild stringhalt, he didn't quite track up as much on one side as he did the other. and walked really funny for a few paces when you put on his back boots.
it never got any better , but also never got any worse while i had him and i found him a lovely hacking home where he will stay forever.

Skhosu

Visit site
but would the vet be able to diagnose? It is just the first few steps in the morning.
He has always been a little stiff seeming. I will give him a deeper bed and keep an eye on it!
What is stringhalt?

Kezza

Visit site
He's having a stretch by the sounds of it! Try not to worry too much and if you really are concerned, or he appears unsound, seek veterinary advice. My boy does this when I put his travel boots on but I wouldn't say he was stiff, even at age 20, he just wants to stretch his legs out ...