Ligament injury - how long until leg looks normal?

GrecianDawn

Visit site
Hey everyone! My 10 year old show jumper was feeling slightly off during his first trot and when cantering to the right was changing leads during 2 day competition. We found minor swelling, like a soft lump, on the outside of his right front, maybe 7-8 cm below the knee. There was never much heat and no pain to palpation. We did box rest and he was on some medication, and we cold hosed for good 20 days, and we did ultrasound. Vet said he did not damage any tissue, only his suspensory was 1.5mm larger than on his left leg. They did ultrasound both legs. Vet said one more week rest and I can start walking under saddle. It has been a month since then and I've been hestitant to ride because this swelling is still present. He has been rested for 2 months now. He is sound in trot both on circle ans straight lines. And passed the flexions. On some days swelling is gone, then appears to be slighty bigger. And maybe it is more visible after hand walking? So I'm afraid to start working, because what if he gets seriously injured? I'm putting some cream on his leg 2x times a day. Do you have any advice for me? Vet said I can ride him walk/trot, and I trust him, but to be honest show jumpers are expensive and I don't think I'll be getting a new one anytime soon, so I want to do what is best for him to stay sound in the long run. Did anyone experience anything similar? Is there anything I can do to help with the swelling? How long can it take for it to go down? Thank you all for taking time to read this.. <3