Light at the end of the tunnel for Henry

blood_magik

Visit site
I don’t know if anyone remembers me posting about the issues we were having with our then-new horse back at the beginning of the year but I thought I’d do a quick update as we turned a massive corner today.

To keep a long story short, we bought Henry back in November last year and things weren’t quite right from day one, which we put down to him having had a few days off and being at another new yard (had been at the dealers for only two weeks).

Noticed he was girthy plus wasn’t gaining weight/muscle so scoped and then treated for very minor ulcers. A few weeks after that he rodeoed and my dad ended up being knocked out when he came off. We put that down to him spooking at something but when he did it again, my dad decided he wouldn’t be getting back on.

At this point I’d asked the vet to check henry’s back but he didn’t find anything and the behaviour was intermittent - sent him to a pro who had no issues whatsoever so I started riding him. He was fine for a few weeks but then did exactly the same thing with me - one minute we were walking and the next I was rodeo-ing my way down the arena and he kept going until I was on the floor.

It was at this point that my vet agreed there was something going on and a few days later Henry was diagnosed as having 5 processes that had narrowed or were touching. We went down the medicating route and 7 months plus hock injections and a new saddle later we've just started jumping again.

Onto the light at the end of the tunnel - We went to a local UA show this afternoon and it was the first time I’ve gotten on without lunging first. I was 😳 but I Needn’t have worried because he was a total dude. 😅

He just went a little backwards on me when we went in for our first round but bless him, he let me hold his hand and he jumped a slightly sticky clear for 2nd, then went on to win the next class.
I’m so happy he’s coming right because his future with us was in doubt a few weeks back. Once I learn to ride him forwards I think he could be an absolute machine - I’m really enjoying riding him just now so hopefully my dad will let me keep him 🤞🏻😄

Sorry for the gushy post (and some of the riding 😳 Only been riding him for two weeks in my defence). I’m just really proud of how far we’ve come ☺️

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
He looks lovely, you always have such super horses. Maybe it's the tension, but he doesn't look comfortable to me, he's not coming through from behind.

DressageCob

Visit site
Well done! Sounds like good progress. I'm glad you've given him the chance too...many wouldn't. Hope he goes from strength to strength.

blood_magik

Visit site
He looks lovely, you always have such super horses. Maybe it's the tension, but he doesn't look comfortable to me, he's not coming through from behind.

He was quite tense, bless him... he went a bit hollow on me plus it was the most he’s done since we started back in ridden work.

We had to medicate behind a while back and the vet has said that while not 100% after the injections, he’s happy for us to crack on just now. He didn’t think it was worth redoing.
He has a shiver as well and I’m wondering if he was maybe a bit footsore after the farrier on Friday 🤔

Will mention to the physio/vet when they're out next just in case as I’d hate to be pushing him when he’s not right. Hoping it’s just a case of having to build up after being sore for so long and trying to avoid working correctly 🤞🏻

Last edited: