lightning & horses

SEL

Visit site
Monday dithering going on here!

Last night it looked like the storm was going to pass us by. This morning though we are predicted 20mm of rain in about 2 hours with a likely thunderstorm in the early hours. I think even my PSSM mare will have to put up with the rain because its so humid and that kind of rain will go straight through a rainsheet. My OH thinks I should bring them in, but my little draft horse absolutely hates loud noises and I think he'll be better in a field than a small stable.

OH then tells me lots of horrible stories about cows dropping dead when lightning struck their field (he used to work for one of the electricity companies). Thanks for that!

So do you leave out in storms? My gut feeling is to let them get on with it, although I will probably be wide awake worrying if we do get a decent storm here - doesn't happen very often :oops:

HEM

Visit site
I agree with you, let them get on with it. Plus I also think they are more likely to hurt themselves if they spook in a stable.

I do not envy you!! Times like this make me really happy I don't own at the moment:oops:

Reactions: SEL

be positive

Visit site
I leave mine out, the last time we had a really bad storm at this time of year it continued for over 2 hours of almost constant thunder/ lightning during a slight lull I ran outside to look at mine, feeling rather guilty they were out in it naked, only to find them in the middle of the field grazing oblivious to the water building up around them and seemed to be totally unconcerned about the noise.

bluepegasus

Visit site
I'd be inclined to leave them out. I always think they are better if they can see what's happening and have room to run around/away if necessary. But saying that... a friend had hers out in a storm. One panicked and bolted through several fences/hedges and was found in a ditch with a broken neck :(

Reactions: SEL

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I was going to ask this as well as we had storms predicted today but it looks like they're not coming after all. But I decided I would probably fetch in because The Beast is happy with more or less anything as long as there's hay in front of her so I know she'd be ok in her stable. If likely to panic in her stable I might leave her out but her field is quite exposed so I don't know.

SEL

Visit site
I leave mine out, the last time we had a really bad storm at this time of year it continued for over 2 hours of almost constant thunder/ lightning during a slight lull I ran outside to look at mine, feeling rather guilty they were out in it naked, only to find them in the middle of the field grazing oblivious to the water building up around them and seemed to be totally unconcerned about the noise.

We haven't got anyone on site which is why I'm probably more worried than normal. I'm thinking if I move the fence line a bit then the attraction of fresh grass might help. It is hot too, so their stables are really steamy and uncomfortable.

ihatework

Visit site
As with most things horse related it might well depend on the horse and the set up.

I wouldn’t have an expensive competing one out in a lightning storm these days I’m afraid.
But herd horses young/old/not working would stay out in their group.

SEL

Visit site
But saying that... a friend had hers out in a storm. One panicked and bolted through several fences/hedges and was found in a ditch with a broken neck :(

That'll not help me get to sleep tonight! The draft has form with bolting through fencing when fireworks went off right next to their field. I'm hoping a storm is something he will understand and ignore. The other will copy him so if he's calm, she'll be fine.

Neither are expensive competition horses, but still priceless to me ;)

chaps89

Visit site
I keep out personally- mine used to be in grass livery so had no choice and if the field is sheltered and they have enough (preferably high value) food I think they don't usually give a monkey's about being out in it.
Moved to a new yard at the weekend and they bring in when stormy as don't like the risk of lightning strikes on shoes.
Personally I feel the risk is low as the yard is sheltered, no lone trees etc but it's their yard, their rules and as I think mine will probably be fine either way it's no biggy.
If you've got the choice though it definitely sounds like out might be better for you. As a one off moving the fence a bit more than usual for more grass or putting hay out might be worth considering though?

Goldenstar

Visit site
I can remember two horses being killed by lightening when I was a child .
We lost one due to injury during a terrible storm it was in a field a couple of miles away ( with an older friend ) and it got tangled in a fence .
But I tend to leave mine out .

Muddywellies

Visit site
A friend of mine had a horse killed by lightening. I believe this is slightly less likely with un-shod horses but I will absolutely always bring in if there is lightening. Mine is miserable in heavy rain so that another reason (though not quite as essential)

Fiona

Visit site
I'm very torn, as have had friends with injured (stabled) and dead (turned out) horses during bad storms.....

Hubby is at home today, so they're out, and I'm hoping he can bring them in if anything looks like its going to happen.

Fiona

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Difficult because there are as many fors as againsts! Personally I think they are better out as they have more room to move around so the percentage chance of them being hit by lightening must be lower! Its also so muggy here that it would be almost cruel to keep him in :(

Orangehorse

Visit site
If I have a choice I bring mine in. I wouldn't get up at 2.00 a.m. and go out in pouring rain if the thunder starts then, but if I have enough notice, or it starts in the daytime then I fetch in.

I have known one struck by lightening and killed and its companion left unridable through injuries received and another that broke its leg in the field during a storm, and a youngster that jumped out of its field and got hit by a car so it is a bit by own experiences I think.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I would be inclined to leave out if they are used to being out; in if they come in regularly (as mine do). Many years ago we lost seven horses all struck by lightening as they huddled under a big tree in a terrible thunderstorm. You could see where the first horse was struck (on the ear) and how the bolt ran through all seven and grounded through the last horse's shoe (they were all shod). It was devastating when we found them all together the next morning; I'll never forget the smell of cooked meat.....

TPO

Visit site
I'd normally say out. Ours are being brought in just because the rain is so heavy (working close to my parents on site today and very heavy rain/thunder/lightning is just passing, after 20mins, and heading out their way) and there is no shelter that they can get under in the field. The rain has just been so heavy here that you couldn't see and I no LW rainsheet will stand up to that so they'll be in just to miss that. They are probably happier out because the barn roof amplifies that sound so it's just weighing it up.

Randomly my electrian dad was just telling me stories about electrocuted animals yesterday. Apparently it's because if one gets hit (although he was talking about electrical faults more than lightning) the others go along for a sniff and then they go. According to him it takes a surprisingly small amount of electricity to kill livestock.

Snowfilly

Visit site
Horrible one! I know of 4 storm deaths, two were out and two were in so I panic either way. I always left mine out as I figured they were slightly safer but I feel sick whenever there's a big lightening storm.

SEL

Visit site
I would be inclined to leave out if they are used to being out; in if they come in regularly (as mine do). Many years ago we lost seven horses all struck by lightening as they huddled under a big tree in a terrible thunderstorm. You could see where the first horse was struck (on the ear) and how the bolt ran through all seven and grounded through the last horse's shoe (they were all shod). It was devastating when we found them all together the next morning; I'll never forget the smell of cooked meat.....

OH "assures" me the shod versus unshod argument doesn't hold up if there is a direct hit to the field or a tree in the field. When he used to work for the electricity companies if a power line came down in the field it could take out nearby cows - he's full of comforting stories like that. I cannot imagine how horrific it would be to find your whole herd gone like that. Even knowing its instantaneous isn't really a comfort.

I'm leaning towards leaving out, letting them get soaked and hoping the line of poplar trees a few paddocks away take any strikes if we're really unlucky. They are extremely tall and if they come down its just onto hay fields. Neither like being in and I think my little draft is more likely to panic and hurt himself in a stable if there are a lot of bangs.

I can't see me getting much sleep tonight though - for various reasons I've turned into a bit of an over anxious horse mum recently second guessing myself all the time!!

Reactions: TPO

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I hope they're ok SEL. It's horrible to be worried but you've just got to do the best you can... unfortunately we can't control everything! Give M an extra scratch from me!

Twohorses

Visit site
This is one of those issues where there is no correct answer. I personally know two ladies who lost their horses to lightening.

One horse, lightening hit the ground the horse was on.

The other lightening strike hit a power transformer in the pasture. The BIG power line snapped, falling to the ground, electrocuting anything within a one hundred foot radius.

I keep to my normal schedule, and hold my breath -- in at night out during the day and hope the horses remember they can get in the barn.

That said:

My horse with an old fractured sacrum, re-injured himself in a hail storm several weeks back. The hail was about walnut size. The other horse went stupid, spinning and running the fence; this horse followed along twisting his already fragile back.

I would have gone out in the hail and walked them the 500 feet to the barn but they were not about standing still, so I held my breath. $500 U.S. Dollars later, my horse is still recuperating and I'm still doing PT on him for an hour EVERY morning:(

In or out is a roll of the dice -- sometimes one works, sometimes the other works better-----

Gift Horse

Visit site
I get worried about it too lighting has stuck the phone line outside our house a couple of times. The last time it travelled through the copper pipe plumbing in the house and blow a hole near a radiator (no one hurt)
I saw it happen as I drove home from work it was terrifying - like a ball of light. I sprinted over to the horses but neither were bothered they were watching from their field shelter.

Cortez - I’m sorry that is awful.

Last edited:

Leo Walker

Visit site
Out! Im not a million miles from you and it is so hot and humid here. Mine is normally in all day but I've relented and chucked her out as its horrible inside the stables at the minute. It definitely needs a storm to clear this!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

How awful :(

Welcome back C. I hope you are feeling OK, we missed you.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Out, and I sit praying that the lightening will go for the electricity pole or the phone line.

We had an answerphone unit jump off the table in flames once! All part of the fun of living on a hilltop.

paddy555

Visit site
Definitely in so I know where they are. If they get hot because of the weather it is hardly going to kill them. If it is bad I go and stand in the stables with them and hand out sweeties to anyone who is upset. The rain is usually hammering on the roof by then. OH goes to one lot of horses and I go to the other.
One time we were hit so suddenly with a storm, first thing we knew was a streak of lightning which came down the side of the bed. We dashed out realising on the way we had lost the router and probably the phone line to the lightning. Our ponies were out in their field and it was a very long 2 hours until it was safe to go out to look for them.

Marigold4

Visit site
I keep mine in, but my stables are feet away from the house so I can go and check. If I wasn't on site, I would keep out.