lightning & horses

SEL

Visit site
Out! Im not a million miles from you and it is so hot and humid here. Mine is normally in all day but I've relented and chucked her out as its horrible inside the stables at the minute. It definitely needs a storm to clear this!

Actually going into their stables tonight made the decision easy - they were sauna like. At least there was a bit of a breeze in the field. I can see storm clouds building....

SEL

Visit site
I hope they're ok SEL. It's horrible to be worried but you've just got to do the best you can... unfortunately we can't control everything! Give M an extra scratch from me!

M thanks you for the scratch! He was in a very special grumpy old man mood tonight. I think if he'd realised the car had aircon there would have been a draft horse in the boot....

silv

Visit site
I leave mine out, but then they are both middle aged so I tend to think they have lived through multiple storms without incident.
In the main scheme of things the chances of getting struck by lightening are quite slim and horses scared of loud noises like thunder could be easily injured in their stables if a loud clap happened above them and they panicked.
I know of a lady who had a stud and she went outside at night to bring her horses in during a storm and they stampeded bowling her over and she was killed.
Just my thoughts anyway.

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
Always out, but there are horses in the field who have been there for 20 years and seen every bit of weather/fireworks ect so nobody spooks and they all just stand grazing. Plenty of room on 25 acres to run around if they like. Funny I'm on top of a hill and never heard of anything being hit by lightning in the village, ever.

HashRouge

Visit site
We got one hell of a lot of rain but I'm not sure if we had thunder and lightning. I'm inclined to think not, or at least not much, as I was awake for quite a long time and didn't notice anything. My two were out but I put a rain sheet on my oldie and was very glad after hearing how heavy the rain was!

Peter7917

Visit site
I would always keep in whatever their normal routine is.

Must be just me but I literally have never even considered doing anything different because of thunder/lightening.