Lights on in Lorry whilst travelling

dieseldog

Visit site
Someone at a show on the weekend said he had been pulled over by the police for not having the lights on in the horse section whilst driving.

Is this actually true and you are breaking the law if you don't have them on?

Or is it a bit of an urban myth?

Tempi

Visit site
i cant believe thats true, and we ALWAYS turn off the internal lights when we are driving our lorry (mum thinks it will flatten the battery if we leave them on, altho i know it dosent!!)

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
When we were travelling, we'd start off with the lights on then when all had safely settled down they would be turned off while driving (sometimes 2 - 3 hours) If it was dark when we pulled up for a break of any time they'd go on again.
It's a new one on me but nothing would surprise me if they thought they could catch someone out with something like that. One of the transport firms should be able to tell you if it's right.

Ferdinase514

Visit site
I would have thought the opposite would be true...they'd be more likely to tell you to turn them off. How bizarre?!

They'd have to have gone to some trouble to look and see there were horses on board!

Rambo

Visit site
I wasn't aware of it being a requirement
crazy.gif
In fact, if i'm driving alone I tend to have the living lights off anyway as I think they distract you as a driver...a bit like having the interior lights on in a car when driving at night.

dieseldog

Visit site
I didn't think it was the law, but everyone went away from the show with their lights on....

He was saying apparently that the law had changed recently

samp

Visit site
If it is is dark I would probably leave mine on for my horse, though if settled I may switch them off

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't think it was the law, but everyone went away from the show with their lights on....

He was saying apparently that the law had changed recently

[/ QUOTE ]

Methinks dear plod might be confusing his laws....with the one about side lights on vehicles greater than a certain length
tongue.gif

hjw

Visit site
You are supposed to travel horses with a light on in the lorry or trailer. Dont know where it comes from but I have always been taught that this is the correct way and it is a legal requirement to do so..... *goes off to scour internet*

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
Nope think someone is confused, it is not a requirement of the law with any livestock, especially not horses!

If i am travelling a new one with a neddy they dont know in the dark, I leave the light on. If they know each other and are settled, the light goes off and they snooze!

Depends on the distance of the journey too.

VOSA are the best people to check with for legislation....

Vehicle & Operator Services Agency
RTE Division
33 Woolwich Road
Belvedere
Kent DA17 5EE

Office: 01322 440923

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
There is no problem with either having the lights on or off in a trailer or lorry whilst travelling along. The problem comes when any of the light is visible to the rear of the vehicle. Construction & Use Regulations say it is illegal to show white light to the rear of the vehicle. So if any light shines from the inside of the vehicle out towards the rear you will commit an offence.(a fine but not endrosable)

Additionally having a light on in the vehicle you are driving along in can be a distraction to the driver causing reflections in the windows. It also makes it very difficult to see out of the windscreen from a light cab into the dark outside.
smile.gif

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
I've always been told that you had to have the horse area lights on whilst travelling with horses on board in the dark. So we always have those lights on but the living area lights off as it's distracting.

JohnT

New User
Visit site
TITLE Animal welfare - additional provisions re cattle, sheep, pigs, etc
PNLD REF NO D9440
NARRATIVE Part II of Schedule 2 to the Welfare of Animals (Transport) Order 1997 provides additional provisions for the transport of cattle, sheep, pigs, goats and horses.
SCHEDULE 2 PART II

10. Animals must be loaded and unloaded in accordance with this paragraph. Unless exempted below, suitable ramps, bridges, gangways or mechanical lifting gear, operated to prevent injury or unnecessary suffering to an animal must be used. The flooring of loading equipment must be constructed to prevent slipping. (This does not apply to ramps of a vehicle specially constructed to carry horses if they are loaded and unloaded by leading each one into and out of the vehicle). Subject to the first exemption below, ramps, bridges, gangways and loading platforms must be provided on each side with protection which is strong, long and high enough to prevent the animal escaping, and positioned not to cause injury or unnecessary suffering to it. The exemptions mentioned above are that an animal may be loaded or unloaded:

(i) by manual lifting or carrying if it can easily be lifted by not more than two persons and the operation is carried out without causing injury or unnecessary suffering to the animal;
(ii) without equipment or by manual lifting or carrying if, considering the age, height and species of the animal, it is unlikely to be caused injury or unnecessary suffering by such loading or unloading.

11. Movement of animals from one floor or deck of a vehicle, vessel or receptacle to another must be done in accordance with this paragraph. Unless exempted below, suitable ramps or mechanical lifting gear must be used and operated to prevent injury or unnecessary suffering to an animal. Where a ramp or mechanical lifting gear is used it must have protection on each side which is strong, long and high enough to prevent the animal from falling or escaping, be positioned not to cause injury or unnecessary suffering to the animal and have a slope suitable for the age and species concerned. The exemption mentioned above is that manual lifting or carrying may be used if the animal can easily be lifted by no more than two persons and the movement is carried out without causing injury or unnecessary suffering to the animal.

NOTE:
See exceptions to this paragraph.

12 & 13. When animals are tied, the ropes or other attachments used must be strong enough not to break during normal transport conditions, designed to eliminate any danger of strangulation or injury, and long enough to allow the animals, if necessary, to lie down and to eat and drink. Animals must not be tied by the horns, or by nose rings.

14. Unless exempted below, a cow with a calf or calves it is suckling, a sow with unweaned piglets, a mare with a foal at foot, a bull over 10 months of age, a breeding boar over 6 months of age, or a stallion must not be carried in an undivided vehicle, rail wagon, pen or receptacle with other animals. Apart from exemption (ii) animals must be segregated according to species. The exemptions mentioned are:

(i) bulls may be carried with other bulls, boars with other boars and stallions with other stallions if they have been raised in compatible groups or are accustomed to one another;
(ii) animals of any species may be carried in the same undivided means of transport as their companion animals if separation would cause either of them distress.

No unsecured animal shall be carried in the same undivided means of transport as an animal which is secured except unweaned young transported with their dam or other animal which they are suckling, or a horse registered under the Rules of Racing accompanied by an animal which is its companion. If, considering their differences in age and size, injury or unnecessary suffering is likely to be caused to one or both animals, an animal must not be carried with another animal. Measures must be taken to avoid injury or unnecessary suffering to an animal as a result of carrying it with animals which are hostile to each other or are fractious, or being caused by an animal which becomes fractious during the journey. Uncastrated male adults must be segregated from females unless they have been raised in compatible groups or are accustomed to one another. Horned cattle shall be segregated from unhorned cattle unless they are all secured and broken horses shall be segregated from unbroken horses. Segregation of animals in rail wagons may be effected either by means of suitable partitions or, if space permits, by tying them in separate parts of the wagon.

15. Without prejudice to the provisions of article 6(6), animals must not be suspended by mechanical means, nor lifted or dragged by the head, horns, legs, tail or fleece. No person must use excessive force to control them. Unless exempted below, no person must use an instrument capable of inflicting an electric shock to control an animal, a stick, goad or other thing to hit or prod cattle aged six months or under, or a stick (other than a flat slap stick or a slap marker), non-electric goad or other thing to hit or prod pigs. The exemption mentioned above is that the prohibition on the use of such instruments does not apply to its use on the hindquarters of any cattle over the age of six months or on adult pigs which are refusing to move forward when there is space for them to do so, but such use must be avoided as far as possible.

NOTE:
This paragraph does not prevent the suspension by mechanical means of a receptacle in which an animal is being carried.

16. The attendant or consignor's agent must look after the animals, and, if necessary, feed, water and milk them. Animals in milk must be milked at appropriate intervals and, in the case of cows in milk, that interval will be about 12 hours but will not exceed 15 hours.

17 - 21. When transported in groups, horses must wear halters unless they are unbroken animals, and have their hind feet unshod. Horses must not be transported in vehicles with more than one deck in operation. Where they are transported in rail wagons and are not in individual stalls, they must be tied in such a way that they are all facing the same side of the wagon or each other. Foals and unbroken animals must not be tied. When transported by water each horse must be carried in its own stall or receptacle, except that small ponies, small asses, small mules and unbroken horses may be carried in groups and a mare may be carried with her foal at foot. Horses in individual stalls must be carried athwartships unless they are in a vehicle on a vessel which has effective stabilisers in operation.

22. When transported by rail, large animals must be loaded so as to allow an attendant to move between them.

23. Vessels used to transport animals must, before sailing, be provided with sufficient supplies for drinking (unless capable of its production) and appropriate foodstuffs, having regard to the species and numbers being transported and the duration of the voyage.

For other documents providing requirements or provisions concerning the transport of animals see:

Schedule 1 Part I - general requirements re transport of mammals/birds
Schedule 1 Part II - general provisions for the transport of mammals/birds
Schedule 2 Part I - additional requirements re transport of cattle/sheep/pigs/goats/horses
Schedule 3 - add requirements & provisions re transport of poultry/domestic birds/domestic rabbits
Schedule 4 - additional requirements & provisions re transport of domestic dogs/cats
Schedule 5 - add requirements & provisions re transport of mammals/birds not in Schedules 2, 3 or 4
Schedule 6 - other vertebrate animals and cold-blooded animals
Schedule 7 Part I - watering/feeding/journey time/rest periods re cattle/sheep/pig/goat/horse
Schedule 7 Part II - transit through market - documentation not available

Index to this Welfare of Animals (Transport) Order 1997

SOURCE Welfare of Animals (transport) Order 1997

ALL RELATED MATERIAL Schedule 2 Additional requirements & provisions re cattle, sheep, pigs, goats & horses

NATIONAL REGION GB

<span style="color:blue"> </span> NO MENTION OF IT IN THERE?