Like a Waterford?

Cob Life

Visit site
I can ask my instructor Monday too but thought I’d give you lot an ask too!

As some of you may know I have what has previously been quite a difficult cob, 3 years ago when I first rode him he was in a Pelham on the bottom ring and used to just take off with me, so obviously very hard in the mouth and to be truthful sometimes it was a “I can’t do this so I’m going to run” and other times it was pure rudeness just because he could.

Thankfully he doesn’t do this anymore but I don’t think he’s particularly happy in his current bit. Since moving to a softer bit he’s always leaned on my hands slightly (this is improving as he gets stronger) but with the french link he’s very resistant to taking any sort of contact and then suddenly will go the other way and be leaning. He’s currently in an egg butt french link snaffle, he goes okay in it but I get the feeling he would be happier in something else, he was slightly better in the single jointed snaffle but it was borrowed and too narrow for him and I never replaced it.

oddly enough he really likes the loose ring Waterford and takes a lot more contact with it than he does the french link but it’s not dressage legal (and i think quite a harsh bit to school in) and was wondering if anyone knows of any dressage legal bits that are worth trying?
He does also like the Mullen mouth Pelham (If I use it I ride on the top ring only now because we don’t need that much bit)

I’m currently considering:
something with a losenge (possibly hanging cheek, full cheeks or just a standard loose ring)
magic bit
Maybe something with copper or sweet iron

Its going to take a little bit of playing around so I don’t want to spend loads on a bit only to find he hates it.

Obviously I’d love to get a bit fit consultant out but the closest is over 3 hours away

Jellymoon

Visit site
It sounds like he likes either a Mullen mouth, or a Waterford, but not a french link, so I’m not sure a lozenge would go down well as similar to french link, but with a try.
You could try mylers or bombers?
Or is the Stubben EZ control snaffle dressage legal? It has a smooth link, so not as round as a lozenge, not as flat as a french link, and lock like a Mullen mouth if they lean on it. The theory being that they learn not to lean themselves as they get the feel of it. My horse goes v well in the universal version out hunting, really lifts her off the forehand and stops her leaning.

HorsesRule2009

Visit site
Just thinking you've said he likes a loose ring Waterford, and current bit is an eggbutt french link have you tried a loose ring french link? Or just a loose ring single joint?
An eggbutt and loose ring will give him a different feel even with the same mouth piece and he may feel happier?

Goldenstar

Visit site
If horse prefers an loose ring to and eggbutt and goes well in a Waterford it suggests that the horse does not like tongue pressure .
My first stop would be the a loose ring ported bomber bit .
Any of the bits with a angled lozenge I would also try .
I would try the NS verbindend as this good for horses who dislike pressure on the tongue.

Cob Life

Visit site
It sounds like he likes either a Mullen mouth, or a Waterford, but not a french link, so I’m not sure a lozenge would go down well as similar to french link, but with a try.
You could try mylers or bombers?
Or is the Stubben EZ control snaffle dressage legal? It has a smooth link, so not as round as a lozenge, not as flat as a french link, and lock like a Mullen mouth if they lean on it. The theory being that they learn not to lean themselves as they get the feel of it. My horse goes v well in the universal version out hunting, really lifts her off the forehand and stops her leaning.

my only thought was that the edges of the french link are actually quite sharp, where they aren’t so much on a losenge

Just thinking you've said he likes a loose ring Waterford, and current bit is an eggbutt french link have you tried a loose ring french link? Or just a loose ring single joint?
An eggbutt and loose ring will give him a different feel even with the same mouth piece and he may feel happier?
he was slightly better in the loose ring single joint but still very hesitant to take a contact, I’m tempted to try the loose ring losenge first as it will have a similar action to the french link and I can borrow one from a friend where none of them use myler or bomber so I’d have to buy
If horse prefers an loose ring to and eggbutt and goes well in a Waterford it suggests that the horse does not like tongue pressure .
My first stop would be the a loose ring ported bomber bit .
Any of the bits with a angled lozenge I would also try .
I would try the NS verbindend as this good for horses who dislike pressure on the tongue.
Bomber were also on my list as I’ve eeen them recommend a lot for cobs with big tongues though they are pricey so I’d ideally like one second hand, as well as the myler

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Try from the bit bank, Bomber loose ring elliptical b, I've found that a complete game changer for jumping and riding in brisk company.
I use a Bomber happy tongue loose ring the rest of the time.
B doesn't like a French link but happily goes well in the elliptical, equines eh?

Goldenstar

Visit site
eBay is a good place for bits that where I buy mine what size is he ?

Waterford’s are are funny bit in that they look fearsome to the tongue but horses who have tongue issues often go very sweetly in them .

Cob Life

Visit site
eBay is a good place for bits that where I buy mine what size is he ?

Waterford’s are are funny bit in that they look fearsome to the tongue but horses who have tongue issues often go very sweetly in them .
The best he’s ever gone is in the Waterford, he’s 5 1/2, I can find loads of 5 which would be fine if I was looking for the other horse!

Try from the bit bank, Bomber loose ring elliptical b, I've found that a complete game changer for jumping and riding in brisk company.
I use a Bomber happy tongue loose ring the rest of the time.
B doesn't like a French link but happily goes well in the elliptical, equines eh?
Ive just had a look on the bit bank, can I just check I’ve got this right?
you buy the bits, if you return it you pay a hire fee and I’m assuming you get a refund on the cost of the bit?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
The best he’s ever gone is in the Waterford, he’s 5 1/2, I can find loads of 5 which would be fine if I was looking for the other horse!

Ive just had a look on the bit bank, can I just check I’ve got this right?
you buy the bits, if you return it you pay a hire fee and I’m assuming you get a refund on the cost of the bit?
You can either buy outright.
Or, hire, then either return or pay in full for the bit (so yes, you have bit hire on top of purchase, but if it doesn't suit horse you haven't paid shed loads, just hire and return fee).

Cob Life

Visit site
Just keep trawling I don’t think I have one my horses are bigger and sold a lot of my smaller ones
My local tack shop do the loose ring losenge in a sweet iron for £10 so I think I’ll start with that and then try the more expensive ones either as I can pick them up cheap or from the bit bank

Kaylum

Visit site
Have you checked the bit is correct in the mouth and that it is not hitting the molars.

Also loose rings move about a lot hence the name.

Bob notacob

Visit site
I am not entirely sure that bit banks accept back bomber bits as the blueing will go . Bombewr have a fantastic web site for choosing a bit .

Bob notacob

Visit site
Waterfords are a very kind bit in my experience. They cannot give any kind of nutcracker action unlike all freely jointed bits (snaffles ,French links etc) Straight bars and ported bars are often worth trying ,but ensure the port is not too wide as this will wedge against the bars of the mouth and cause pain and resistance. Hanging cheek bits are often liked by fussy horses as they like the stillness of the bit incidentally ,THERE IS NO LEVERAGE OR POLL PRESSURE WITH A HANGING CHEEK.

vhf

Visit site
I can ask my instructor Monday too but thought I’d give you lot an ask too!

As some of you may know I have what has previously been quite a difficult cob, 3 years ago when I first rode him he was in a Pelham on the bottom ring and used to just take off with me, so obviously very hard in the mouth and to be truthful sometimes it was a “I can’t do this so I’m going to run” and other times it was pure rudeness just because he could.

Thankfully he doesn’t do this anymore but I don’t think he’s particularly happy in his current bit. Since moving to a softer bit he’s always leaned on my hands slightly (this is improving as he gets stronger) but with the french link he’s very resistant to taking any sort of contact and then suddenly will go the other way and be leaning. He’s currently in an egg butt french link snaffle, he goes okay in it but I get the feeling he would be happier in something else, he was slightly better in the single jointed snaffle but it was borrowed and too narrow for him and I never replaced it.

oddly enough he really likes the loose ring Waterford and takes a lot more contact with it than he does the french link but it’s not dressage legal (and i think quite a harsh bit to school in) and was wondering if anyone knows of any dressage legal bits that are worth trying?
He does also like the Mullen mouth Pelham (If I use it I ride on the top ring only now because we don’t need that much bit)

I’m currently considering:
something with a losenge (possibly hanging cheek, full cheeks or just a standard loose ring)
magic bit
Maybe something with copper or sweet iron

Its going to take a little bit of playing around so I don’t want to spend loads on a bit only to find he hates it.

Obviously I’d love to get a bit fit consultant out but the closest is over 3 hours away
My very particular mare was only happy in a Waterford. She did agree to a verbindend as a dressage legal alternative, but nothing else was deemed acceptable! She's not especially strong, just knows what she likes.

Goldenstar

Visit site
My very particular mare was only happy in a Waterford. She did agree to a verbindend as a dressage legal alternative, but nothing else was deemed acceptable! She's not especially strong, just knows what she likes.

A horse with a sensitive tongue .

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Waterfords are a very kind bit in my experience. They cannot give any kind of nutcracker action unlike all freely jointed bits (snaffles ,French links etc) Straight bars and ported bars are often worth trying ,but ensure the port is not too wide as this will wedge against the bars of the mouth and cause pain and resistance. Hanging cheek bits are often liked by fussy horses as they like the stillness of the bit incidentally ,THERE IS NO LEVERAGE OR POLL PRESSURE WITH A HANGING CHEEK.
There is no "kind" bit, only educated (or not) hands. Most people who like waterfords IME tend to saw away like carpenters and their poor bl**dy horses of course acquiesce through pain. And hey presto! "My horse likes a waterford bit because I can control it". Before anybody asks, I have ridden horses in waterfords (client insisted), and the problem wasn't the bit, it was basic education. I absolutely loathe them.

Cob Life

Visit site
Thankfully he’s not majorly fussy and I can ride him in pretty much any bit but there are certain ones that he prefers over others. He will try to be strong occasionally but he’s taught to stop by weight aid and vocal so I’m not getting into a tug of war with him
There is no "kind" bit, only educated (or not) hands. Most people who like waterfords IME tend to saw away like carpenters and their poor bl**dy horses of course acquiesce through pain. And hey presto! "My horse likes a waterford bit because I can control it". Before anybody asks, I have ridden horses in waterfords (client insisted), and the problem wasn't the bit, it was basic education. I absolutely loathe them.
I think it’s the shape of the link in the french link he’s not keen on, as he’s better in a single joint or something with a Mullen mouth as well as the Waterford.

Reactions: vhf

Cob Life

Visit site
shires do a blue sweet iron ported mouth that looks quite curved, I’m tempted to try that first as it’s the same as I’d pay to hire a bomber bit

Cob Life

Visit site
One ride but he seems to like it, considering he was pretty spicy before I got on I was expecting a hard ride but he was really good. way more responsive and happy to collect which made things we usually struggle with like leg yields much easier