Likits and Uncle Jimmys..

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
Has anyone tried the Uncle Jimmys Licky things?..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNCLE-JIM...t=UK_Horse_Wear_Equipment&hash=item19cc9e0443

Ive heard they last a lot longer than the likits and are more healthy, the horses get so bored, no grazing here, and I can only give them so much straw and alfalfa in a hay net..
(no hay here) Trying to find things to keep them occupied, they all live out, 4 in one paddock and the stallion in other, If I used feed balls I have to separate them all, swedes are no good, as they are expensive here and tiny!, I bite and they would be gone..

so an ideas welcome..

Archie73

Visit site
Both things I have fed. I wouldn't again. A lickit is exactly like kids sherbet lolly. My horse could demolish it in about 2 hours and then had terrible sugar rush. If Jimmys balls. He also loved them would last a few days but it's still sugar. Your horses live out,you don't say if the paddocks have grass but if they do they also have haynets to entertain them. I reckon they are quite lucky already!

Archie73

Visit site
Oh sorry. No grazing. Hmmmmmnnnn..... Just spread the Alfafa and straw on the ground to mimic grazing maybe?

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
Both things I have fed. I wouldn't again. A lickit is exactly like kids sherbet lolly. My horse could demolish it in about 2 hours and then had terrible sugar rush. If Jimmys balls. He also loved them would last a few days but it's still sugar. Your horses live out,you don't say if the paddocks have grass but if they do they also have haynets to entertain them. I reckon they are quite lucky already!

They do sugar free ones now, so I was thinking of those... nope, no grazing at all :-(

They have breakfast at 9am, then nothing until 2-3pm when I give them a net, then last feed is at 8-9pm which is another feed and another net.. so its the hours inbetween they get bored and start fence chewing grrrr....

mtj

Visit site
Tried all three with my horse:likits, uncle jimmy's, sugar free uncle jimmy's. he loves them all.

Likit disappears in under an hour. Sugar free uncle jimmy's (think its actually made with sugar beet) several hours. The standard uncle jimmy's can last from several days to several weeks depending on his mood.

Personally think these are just as likely to cause fighting problems as balls.

Its a waste of time with my horse, but have tried them with apples in the water. Its suppose to keep a horse amused for a long time - takes my horse under 20 seconds.

Last edited:

PeeGee

Visit site
Hi,
I've used both and Uncle Jimmys last longer especially if you use the holder made for them. The Sugar Free ones are good, they seem to last mine longer as he prefers the flavoured ones. Lickits only last one night with mine so they work out expensive.

Archie73

Visit site
Not to argue but the sugar free jimmys balls are on the label 31per cent invert sugar..... Still think spreading forage is best. Good luck.

be positive

Visit site
I have used the Dengie stable licks in the field, they are in a tub and lasted weeks, mine did not like the field ones for some reason. They may be a better bet than the small ball types, not sure how much molasses in them but they do have mins/vits in them which is more than most of these treats have.

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
Oh sorry. No grazing. Hmmmmmnnnn..... Just spread the Alfafa and straw on the ground to mimic grazing maybe?

I used to put the alfalfa ans straw on the floor.... lasted 20 mins!....such pigs, in nets though it can last upto 2 hours, as I have them hung between the trees so they cant push them against the trees and make it easier to grab hold of...

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk