Limited Water...naughty me!!!

_OC_

Visit site
At my yard we should consider ourselves lucky,as YO does not interfere and left much to our own device.........however,got told last night that my cob and his TB mate(as out in small paddocks as pairs)did not have a enough water in their trough,by Mother (of daughter and Mum team),and it was green and slimy........err been bl**dy working all weekend, then told if I should purchase today a connector they would give me a spare bit of hose so they would fill it up when they did their's....(Yes I know I sound like a ungrateful cow).....but, it was the way I was told like I'm 7 years old....Oh, and I should scrub it out as horses like clean trough's...funny thing is both horses drunk out of it this morning......so will go later with gritted teeth and mate and deal with it.... I hate to be patronized!!!!
mad.gif

TGM

Visit site
Sounds reasonable to me - they noticed there was a problem, realised you were tied for time and came up with a solution that helps both you and the horses!

Sounds like a nice YO to me
grin.gif

JACQSZOO

Visit site
Think your being over sensitive. Working all weekend is no excuse for your horses to be without water. Sounds like the other liveries are just trying to make your life easier.

filly190

Visit site
They havent perhaps been very tactful, but at least the subject was raised which makes life easier for everyone. I personally hate troughes and use plastic bins which I empty and scrub out twice a week to avoid the slime, bird droppings etc. This way I know exactly the amount of water being drunk.

I would'nt take it too personally, I think they are trying to be helpful and lack of tact has come into it. Horses and water are funny things, they can appear to go ages before drinking loads and one day they drink the lot, making you look bad.

I do mine every morning because its tubs, but with troughs it is harder to monitor.

_OC_

Visit site
Yes I know should not be green and slimy.....I have to set up hoses and connect bits together,to be honest it was done and cleaned 2 weeks ago and their is water in there....but, will be done today honest!!

Chex

Visit site
I hate people interfering! Even if they mean well, its just rude to presume you wouldn't have noticed that the trough was a bit slimy. If they had absolutley no water, then maybe. Mind you, I give Chex fresh water, but he'd rather drink the stagnant water from the big puddle, or the dirty river water, lovely pony!

Skhosu

Visit site
Sorry..... water is a big thing for us.
Green + slimy=bad water!
I would say they were concerned (as I would be...) for a horse with no apparent clean water.
Do you know I think you can be done for cruelty if no fresh clean water? (and rightly so!)
At least from now on everyone will be happy.

airedale

Visit site
No water is bad - but the implication is that there WAS water - just that it wasn't sparkly clean.

bear in mind that in the summer any slightly standing water will go slightly green due to the action of the sun in making natural stuff in the water grow and turn into algae, etc.

This autumn in certain parts has been very mild and there has been - this weekend round me - nothing but sun - mild, warm and ideal growing weather for bits in water troughs

There is an old saying "people who live in glass houses should not throw stones". Before you throw bricks at OC (assuming there WAS water - just that it wasn't crystal clear) then consider the last time YOU cleaned out your water trough....!!!

If it isn't every 2 days and the tank scrubbed clean of all algae then YOUR water will be 'green' toooooo

I've got dogs horses sheep and poultry that will turn their noses up at a bucket of clean water and drink the slightly green stuff out of the water butt

Tia

Visit site
No I can't see a problem either?? They highlighted that your horses had hardly any water and gave you a solution. No big deal. Sounds like they were merely concerned that your horses may be left without any water. Surely any horse owner would say the same in their position? I know I would - can't bear horses left without the bare necessities.

Skhosu

Visit site
The water in the field they are in is cleaned out every day. Therefore eliminates need for scrubbing. If it was a huge concrete thing (we have some) it is harder but def not impossible, and ours are cleaned out most days, as I hate green water with a passion, in my view if I wouldn't drink it, I wouldn't expect my horses to.

JessPickle

Visit site
Our water troughs are cleaned at least twice a week, plus are automatic drinkers so fresh water is dispensed a lot anyway. Even when they were not automatic though it was always made sure they had plenty of water and the container was cleaned every couple of days.

I think those people sounds perfectly nice, they at least came up with a solution for you