Link between stopping balancer and horse itching?

mytwofriends

Visit site
I have the vet coming to run bloods on my elderly horse, but I was searching through some old threads on itchy horses and found some interesting replies, specifically regarding when stopping feeding a balancer.

So I'm just wondering if anyone else has any experience of dropping their horse's balancer, then the horse becoming very itchy? Maybe a vitamin/mineral deficiency?

My boy is about 25, I've owned him for nearly 10 years, and up until recently he's never been an itchy horse at all. However, now he is. Very. He's rubbed the base of his mane, he bites at his belly, and he occasionally has hives. He's never had sweet itch, he's been wormed, I can see no sign of lice or mites, and, apart from dropping his Top Spec senior balancer this summer as he was looking so good, his diet hasn't changed. He's on chaff and conditioning cubes (I realise there is probably alfalfa in the chaff, but it's never been a problem before.) I was planning on resuming with the balancer when the grass goes, but I'll do it sooner if necessary.

So, has anyone else had a similar experience, or have any other bright ideas before the vet comes?

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

be positive

Visit site
At a guess the balancer provided essential minerals that he is now missing in his diet, that combined with the high starch content of the average conditioning cube has probably set off an itch scratch scenario that needs to be stopped, I would probably take him off of all feed if he looks well and if he stops itching, which he may well do if it is too much starch/ sugar causing it but there is no guarantee it will stop quickly, then gradually introduce feed one at a time with at least a week between each new one.

As he did well on the balancer I would feed that in preference to a conditioning cube and make up some bulk/ calories if required with something less starchy/ sugary.

Achinghips

Visit site
Ive heard that a lack of magnesium can cause itchiness. Maybe there's something relevant in the balancer that activates or includes it ....

mytwofriends

Visit site
Ive heard that a lack of magnesium can cause itchiness. Maybe there's something relevant in the balancer that activates or includes it ....
That makes sense. I'll be curious to see how the blood results come back, but he's definitely going back on the senior balancer in the meantime.

Tnavas

Visit site
Have you tried a bath using Nizoral Shampoo? Could be a fungal infection - they are extremely itchy. You can buy Nizoral from the chemist - contains ketaconisol. Also great for mudfever and greasy heel

windseywoo

Visit site
If you put him back on the balancer without changing anything else and he stops itching, then I'd say something in the balancer is helping him. I don't know where you are, but by us there are still a lot of midges about and even the horses that don't scratch a lot are itchy due to their winter coats coming through. As said earlier get rid of the conditioning cubes if looking well, but just keep an eye on him as winter kicks in.

mytwofriends

Visit site
I had in itchy horse which went when fed micronised linseed and minerals and a small amount of salt daily.
He already has micronised linseed. No extra vits/minerals or salt though. I'm starting to think it's a deficiency which his balancer used to address.

mytwofriends

Visit site
Have you tried a bath using Nizoral Shampoo? Could be a fungal infection - they are extremely itchy. You can buy Nizoral from the chemist - contains ketaconisol. Also great for mudfever and greasy heel
No, the only shampoo I've used recently is tea tree. I'm hoping the vet can shed some light on it, but I'm willing to try anything to help him.

mytwofriends

Visit site
If you put him back on the balancer without changing anything else and he stops itching, then I'd say something in the balancer is helping him. I don't know where you are, but by us there are still a lot of midges about and even the horses that don't scratch a lot are itchy due to their winter coats coming through. As said earlier get rid of the conditioning cubes if looking well, but just keep an eye on him as winter kicks in.
I'm in the South West, and yes the the midges are still horrendous. They go for me too!

I'm going to get some more balancer, and yes, I'll omit the cubes to see if that helps. Poor old guy, there's definitely a case to be made for "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", as he never had a problem before I decided he didn't need his balancer.

_HP_

Visit site
Considering his age, it may be an idea to test him for Cushings (PPID). Skin conditions can be a clinical sign. The lab test is free ATM so if you are having your vet out anyway, it won't cost much.

mytwofriends

Visit site
Considering his age, it may be an idea to test him for Cushings (PPID). Skin conditions can be a clinical sign. The lab test is free ATM so if you are having your vet out anyway, it won't cost much.
He has Cushings and is on 1 x Prascend a day already. It's the initial reason I had scheduled the vet to come, to check his ACTH levels. It's entirely possible they've gone up.