Linseed - how to cook?

vicm2509

Visit site
I just wondered how do I cook Linseed? Do I soak for 4 hours then boil for 6 or have I got that totally wrong?

Also how much should I feed and how often? It will be fed to a 16.3 who has been out of work and just about to be brought back into work, hes been very ill and lost his really shiney coat, just thought the linseed may give it a bit of a boost.

He was fed soya oil all winter and his coat was gleaming before he got ill
frown.gif

ThomasTank

Visit site
Ive been poring boiling water on and putting the lid on straight away and leaving it to steam over night.
My horses arent dead yet and have been having it that way for years
grin.gif

vicm2509

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you just buy the jars of linseed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been given some seeds so thought I would give them a go. Out of interest where do I buy the jars? Feed store or supermarket?

flowerlady

Visit site
Sorry they're not in jars anymore. NAF do a linseed oil they come in 1 litre or 2 litre from about 7.95. You should be able to buy them from a good take shop that does NAF things or a good feed merchants

dozzie

Visit site
It depends what you want it for. I dont think the bought cooked stuff is as good an appetiser and it doesnt help with weight gain with the same effect. I have used both.

If I wanted weight gain and a pick me up I would cook it myself. I would also add boiled barley and sugarbeet to his feed!
Im really old school though!
grin.gif

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Actually, I microwave it, too
blush.gif
blush.gif
I soak overnight and then give it ten mins of actual rolling boil then feed it. Wasn't going to recommend it in case it killed Baron!

Have you ever smelled it an hour into soaking? It has a dreadful bitter smell, quite unlike the lovely nutty smell it has when ready to feed. That's the prussic acid (aka hydrocyanic acid) released on soaking. Boiling drives it off - hence why not using a lid? Anyhow, you can grind up dry seeds and feed them immediately but any uneaten feed - as it will likely be dampened - has to be thrown away. I wouldn't even go there I don't think!

Simple Systems do a ready to go linseed.