Linseed Oil??

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
I normally give my girl a bit of soya oil in the winter but after our little episode today I have been looking at some other supplements for her.

It looks like Omega 3 & 6 are what will help her joints and muscles and the richest source is Linseed Oil. I have tried searching on here for other posts but I hate the search feature and I can never find what I am looking for.

Hope that I can get some opinons from you guys
grin.gif

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Linseed oil is indeed the highest in the omega oils and also provides a very glossy coat and is good for weight gain as well. It can be quite expensive though. Aran on here research's arthritis and she swears by it for her horse, maybe worth PM'ing her.

JaneSteventon

Visit site
Hello I hate the search feature on here to can never find what i am looking for. You have three options that i know of. Buy linseed oil ready prepared, which i think is far to expensive. Buy ready prepared linseed from simple systems they have a website and i know other forum users use it so they could probably tell you more about that because i have never used it. Or do what i do and buy a sack of the grains which costs about £12 and lasts my two horses about three months in winter. The only problem with the grains is you have to soak them overnight and then boil it hard for about ten minutes the next day or it is poiseness (sp). Linseed is a brilliant feedstuff not just for joints but for coat and hooves too.

bellgave

Visit site
Linseed oil is great, like Lucy-spring says ots very high in omega oils. I am a bit of a hippy in some ways and like linseed oils as it is a natural non animal derived oil, you have to be so careful, really read what it is exactly you are feeding your horse, I will never feed codliver oil for instance as horses were never meant to eat fish!!!

Clodagh

Visit site
I feed raw linseed and have had no problems from it, horse looks great. I weas a convert at the latter part of last year. She gets about 2 garlic scoops a day, so very little, but people say you can give a lot more.

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
I have been reading up on it tonight and I didn't realised that linseed oil is made from flax, they blue stuff I kept seeing in the fields a few months ago, I wondered what it was!!

I have found it here http://www.highbarnoils.co.uk/acatalog/buyonline.html
£18 for 5 litres doesn't seem bad, if I only feed 4 tablespoons (like it suggests on the site) it should last a month or so, is that enough?

TGM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I feed raw linseed and have had no problems from it, horse looks great.

[/ QUOTE ] Raw linseed grains contain prussic acid which is poisonous. The grains must be boiled before feeding. However, linseed oil or prepared linseed - ie linseed cakes or Simple Systems Instant Linseed is fine to feed as is.

star

Visit site
technically yes, but a lot of people feed raw linseed and dont have a problem with it - not something i would do - knowing my luck horse would keel over and die!

i feed NAF's Linseed Oil. It's £12 for a litre and they recommend 30ml 4 times a day so it lasts about 2 months. Horse is certainly looking well on it.

TGM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
but a lot of people feed raw linseed and dont have a problem with it - not something i would do - knowing my luck horse would keel over and die!

[/ QUOTE ] Do they really
shocked.gif
! I wouldn't dare either - I'd be awake all night worrying I'd find them with rigor mortis in the morning
crazy.gif
. You mean I didn't need to spend all those hours boiling the blinkin' stuff all those years ago!?

star

Visit site
it was always drummed into me that it was poisonous raw, mostly by BHS textbooks when i was studying for stages - cant actually remember if it was ever mentioned at uni - we didn't really do much on nutrition. but it seems people do feed it raw with no problems, so maybe all us others are being paranoid about nothing, but i dont think i'd take the risk!

TGM

Visit site
Bit like sugar beet pellets! Apparently some people feed them unsoaked with no ill effects! But I've been brought up to believe that it is such a big 'NO NO' that I just wouldn't dare risk it
crazy.gif

Parkranger

Visit site
I use the Naf one too - worth going to a pet shop though. My dad uses them for his zebra finches in the winter....it works by slightly raising the animals blood/body temperature and thus stopping arthritic joints getting cold.....didn't realise this until he told me! he uses it to stop the chicks getting cold and dying.....

star

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Bit like sugar beet pellets! Apparently some people feed them unsoaked with no ill effects! But I've been brought up to believe that it is such a big 'NO NO' that I just wouldn't dare risk it
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

definitely - i am just as paranoid about my sugar beet! i think i am just a paranoid owner!

Theresa_F

Visit site
I am using Simple Feeds linseed, actually I am feeding using their system and feed their total supplement plus extra linseed for Cairo's joints and Chancer to have a show coat.

Great stuff - I have noticed that Mr C is moving very well at the moment - so the linseed, cortaflex and magnetics are doing their job.

I have used gold label linseed, both the instant linseed and the oil in the past.

Don't have the time to boil the stuff up.

S_N

Visit site
That's really interesting Frankie - how much do you feed? I have been thinking about using straight linseed, as I feed straights anyway.....

flyingfeet

Visit site
I feed gold labels ready linseed- its cooked and slightly mushed.

I prefer it as I hate pouring oil / liquids, invariably end up cleaning half of it from the ground.

JaneSteventon

Visit site
Hello. I feed a teacup of grains a day per horse in winter, but mine live out. Don't know if this would be a bit much for a stabled horse. In summer I do cup every two days between the two of them. The teacup per horse I got from a Sue Mcbane book on horses who live out. Hope this helps.