Litter on riding routes, anyone else fed up with it

Pedantic

Visit site
Made a compliant to the council regarding litter, particularly McCrap litter now since a new McCrap opened nearby, on top of the usual rubbish
such as larger cans etc etc, we now have MCrap rubbish as well, obese outlet for the brain dead who can find their fat mouths, but can't spot a litter bin if they fell in it, maybe they live in bin and think the rest of us want to as well.

Caracarrie

Visit site
Made a compliant to the council regarding litter, particularly McCrap litter now since a new McCrap opened nearby, on top of the usual rubbish
such as larger cans etc etc, we now have MCrap rubbish as well, obese outlet for the brain dead who can find their fat mouths, but can't spot a litter bin if they fell in it, maybe they live in bin and think the rest of us want to as well.

I used to keep my horse quite near a McCrap as well and there was always the residue scattered on the verges - they drive off and chuck it out of the windows. Mind you, there was a large council tip just as close and you wouldn't believe the flytipping that went on too, rather than drop it off there - most was what you would easily put in a car, no van required. In my experience, it is the lowest social classes that live in the filthiest areas and then complain how terrible their lives are, how much snobs (ie everyone else) looks down on them and calls them chavs etc. You don't have to go back all that far in time to when the true working classes were proud of the little they had and kept their standards up. But I guess when you haven't had to save up for something, it doesn't mean anything.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We get the double whammy of a "common" where people come to eat their lunch in the car, to look at the view, and then chuck the rubbish out of the window (presumably to keep the inside of their cars clean!) and a hotel, which advertises itself as a country house hotel, and we end up with bottles and cans strewn down the grass verges. We have no pavements, so end up with the horses in the middle of the road to avoid the broken glass and squashed cans :(

skint1

Visit site
I have to say this kind of thing seems to be getting worse, sorry to all those who must endure it

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I past a pile of crap today, straight out of some ones stable. Horse poo and sawdust dumped in the woods.

You're lucky. I've passed a pile of crap straight out of a human, plus loo paper they had in their pocket! Why they couldn't have gone in the wood instead of on the footpath is beyond me.

I love McDonald's, there's nothing wrong with the food (in moderation unless you are eating the grilled chicken salad, fruit bags, grilled chicken wrap, carrot sticks which are disgustingly healthy). But why people drive five miles into a National Park before they open the car window and drop the rubbish out escapes me. But not quite as much as the cyclists and their healthy drinks, or the healthy options Tesco sandwiches and fruit juice, which are also regularly dumped on my country lane.

And why do some cyclists think they should leave their punctured inner tube hanging on a gate or tree instead of taking it home?

The wine bottles and lager tins have stopped since Eric's mother died. That was interesting! When he moved and his house was sold, it had a hole in the kitchen floor full of them instead. Poor guy obviously has an alcohol abuse problem :(

Visit site
You get everything round here. Poo bags hung on trees, or just left sitting on the path. Chippy boxes/papers, burger king bags, loads of cheap lager cans and crisp packets etc. Then today a broken builders wheelbarrow was dumped at the side of a road - still clogged with concrete. There was a fridge and an oven the other week. It's an absolute disgrace. And this isn't a particularly jakey area so people must be coming from a wee drive away. Probably past the council tip in the process!

And then you get the obligatory shaggers at least once a month!

Last edited:

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
We sometimes get a lot of fly-tipped waste especially at the end of byways and bridleways. We now need a residents permit to take stuff to the local tip and the council are charging people if they take builders rubble so I think more stuff is just being dumped. One local bridleway was especially bad but a temporary camera was put on there which seems to have solved the problem, at least for the moment. There were several bags of stuff at intervals along one of the roads last week - presumably chucked out of a moving car. Charming.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
We used to be very rural but now the nearest town is expanding and the level of rubbish in the lanes is shocking. This weekends offering is a large fridge freezer thrown in a ditch.

I have lost count of the number of cars I have followed in the lanes that lob out takeaway rubbish. No body seems to have any respect for anything anymore.

HashRouge

Visit site
We get the double whammy of a "common" where people come to eat their lunch in the car, to look at the view, and then chuck the rubbish out of the window (presumably to keep the inside of their cars clean!)
This always astonishes me! I have to say the village where my parents live and the surrounding countryside is generally pretty good from a litter point of view (as in, there is very little) but they do have the above problem. Two gorgeous view points, which look out over the pennines and to Manchester in the distance, where people pull up in their cars to (presumably) eat their McDonalds and look at the view, then dump their rubbish out of the window. I've never understood the mentality of someone who can appreciate a nice view but thinks nothing of spoiling it for the next people to come along by littering :(

cauda equina

Visit site
Or that of people who dump bin bags full of garden waste.
As long as their own garden is perfect, what does it matter if someone else's ditch is full of rubbish?

RunToEarth

Visit site

Have you spoken to your parish council? I'm lucky enough to be nowhere near a McCrap, but a new one has sprung up close to an estate we manage. I contacted the local parish council regarding the litter and together with some other locals we lobbied McCrap directly. Initially they weren't bothered, until we had some local press interest. They installed cameras and brought a prosecution for littering - it's worth a try?

We seem to get a lot of house clearance crap from the take-what-you-likies. They tip in on verges, down bridleways and in field gateways. The last lot had asbestos sheeting in and cost quite a bit to get rid of. The police as usual are not interested.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I'd love to find the person who throes mini plastic spirit bottles put of their car near my house, I find loads of them, as well as the obligatory cans and rubbish wrappers. I do a litter pick along 200m or so of verge near me a few times a year, I always feel like I should do it more bit it's not exactly the most appealing job!

We used to have some shaggers near our stables for a while parked on the verge. A local smallholder told them to go, and got told to f off. So he reversed his pick up with tow point into their little city car. Didn't see them after that lol.

McFluff

Visit site
That's what we have it's vile! What on earth goes through people's minds to think it's ok to bag up poo and hang it in bushes and trees.

Ahh yes, dog poo tree baubles. Seriously have to question the motives of some people. I'd actually rather the poo was left on the ground rather than swinging from a tree at head height.

Fragglerock

Visit site
Funnily enough I thought the same yesterday. Mostly it was plastic water bottles which makes me suspect walkers and cyclists (although I think most of them carry bottles attached to their bikes).

Fragglerock

Visit site
You're lucky. I've passed a pile of crap straight out of a human, plus loo paper they had in their pocket! Why they couldn't have gone in the wood instead of on the footpath is beyond me.

I love McDonald's, there's nothing wrong with the food (in moderation unless you are eating the grilled chicken salad, fruit bags, grilled chicken wrap, carrot sticks which are disgustingly healthy). But why people drive five miles into a National Park before they open the car window and drop the rubbish out escapes me. But not quite as much as the cyclists and their healthy drinks, or the healthy options Tesco sandwiches and fruit juice, which are also regularly dumped on my country lane.

And why do some cyclists think they should leave their punctured inner tube hanging on a gate or tree instead of taking it home?

The wine bottles and lager tins have stopped since Eric's mother died. That was interesting! When he moved and his house was sold, it had a hole in the kitchen floor full of them instead. Poor guy obviously has an alcohol abuse problem :(

Last time I trod in crap it wasn't of the doggy variety, we had stopped on the motorway as our car had a problem and I got out straight into a dirty nappy. Lovely.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Ahh yes, dog poo tree baubles. Seriously have to question the motives of some people. I'd actually rather the poo was left on the ground rather than swinging from a tree at head height.

I'm fairly certain that these people only pick their dog poo up in the first place if someone is nearby or watching them. Then, once everyone has gone, they hang it on a bush.

I'm particularly guarded about people who do this, as one of my geldings' is impartial to a carrier bag and can't seem to fathom that no goodies are lurking in those tree baubles.

pansymouse

Visit site
I ride on Salisbury Plain and even see litter quite often there. It saddens me that soldiers are prepared to die for a country they don't respect enough not to litter (most of the litter I see apart from spent munitions and flares is ration pack wrappers).

Caracarrie

Visit site
This always astonishes me! I have to say the village where my parents live and the surrounding countryside is generally pretty good from a litter point of view (as in, there is very little) but they do have the above problem. Two gorgeous view points, which look out over the pennines and to Manchester in the distance, where people pull up in their cars to (presumably) eat their McDonalds and look at the view, then dump their rubbish out of the window. I've never understood the mentality of someone who can appreciate a nice view but thinks nothing of spoiling it for the next people to come along by littering :(

I'm afraid that many Mancunians are the worst litter droppers ever. The city centre is always filthy. I have to pick up fast food, bottles, drinks cans and sweep wrappers from my garden on a daily basis - there is a primary school and a corner shop at the end of the road via a walk-through and despite there being a big dustbin provided, they think my garden hedge is preferable. I couldn't believe the difference whenever I visit Liverpool which always seems spotless in comparison (there are always rubbish collectors out in the city centre whatever day of the week it is). But look at any rough estate and see how they flytip in their own gardens without any sense of shame, gardens which many private renters and home owners would love to be able to afford to have. And it isn't just poorer people either. One time I was waiting on an M60 sliproad and the smart car in front of me opened the front window and chucked all the fag ends and sweet wrappers out on the verge. I just don't know what is wrong with people.