Live out at night ??

racebuddy

Visit site
My horse has always stayed in at night , but due to current hot wheather and flies its horrendous for them to stay out , toying with the idea of letting him stay out at night for few nights when flies not as bad

thoughts ??

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My horse has always stayed in at night , but due to current hot wheather and flies its horrendous for them to stay out , toying with the idea of letting him stay out at night for few nights when flies not as bad

thoughts ??

Mine are out at night and are currently snoring in there stables they really seem to want to come in by mid morning.

Reactions: TPO

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Mine is out overnight - I'm hoping he'll stay out overnight until November but that depends a bit on what others do on the yard.

I mainly do it as grass is generally safer and for the relief from the flies but it is nice knowing you don't have to rush to the yard first thing on a weekend morning ?

eggs

Visit site
Mine are out at night and in during the day in summer and then swap over in winter. One was banging the gate to come in at 7 this morning.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
mine are keen to get inside early too. the ones at the yard are normally in by 7, i was late this morning so it was closer to 8. fortunately the horse flies weren't bad but the annoying buzzy flies were out in force.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
possibly depends on the kinds of flies you get and what shelter is available. At the yard they don't get a lot of midges but just annoying flies that get in their eyes, and horseflies when it's hot. there is no shelter.

My nursery field has terrible midges and horseflies :rolleyes: the horses use their shelter throughout the day and evening.

My retirement field often has a decent breeze, there are not usually midges or buzzy flies, though i do see bot flies occasionally there. those horses are the happiest to be out all the time, though they also have the best shelter.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I love this routine. Mine hear me mixing their breakfast and wander in themselves. I have wooden stables and they do get warm so i turnout again at about 3 but will do earlier if it’s really warm in them.
Being out at night must be so much nicer and it’s longer, also has the advantage of them being inside already for appointments or to be ridden.

hobo

Visit site
I also love this routine in the summer for the same reason as poiuytrewq said. Mine come in about 8:30 have breakfast they than have a snooze and are ready to ride when I am and are nice and relaxed. At the moment they show no interest to going out until 5pm. On a normal summers day they will go out when ever I have finished with them for the day.

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Mine have been up by the gate and wiggling their eyebrows at me at 9am every morning recently. The flies are starting to get bad by then. The horses are so relieved to get into the stables, I let them out at 6pm, any earlier and they refuse to even put a hoof out of the door.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
I'm not sure.

They get bothered most by flies first and last thing, so unless I bring them in by dawn (before 5am) and put them out at dusk (after 9.30pm) they are still out when the flies are at their worst.

They seem to be much less bothered by flies when out during the day.
It is the midges that get mine stamping and cross.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Mine also switches to in in the day and out at night in the summer. The flies are bad at dawn and dusk, but because it is cooler, he can have a proper fly rug on, and he is definitely ready to come in in the morning, but happy to go out in the evening. Personally, I like him being in his stable in the heat, he has natural shade in his field but does not always choose to use it, and he often chooses to sleep mid morning in his stable.

He is very good at letting me know if he is unhappy and he seems to like his summer routine! I would definitely try switching and see how they go!

Visit site
Yes, mine are in during part of the day and out the rest of the time in the summer. I actually put them out a bit earlier than usual today as it seemed a lot hotter in the stables than outside and we have plenty of trees for shade in our fields.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I also love this routine in the summer for the same reason as poiuytrewq said. Mine come in about 8:30 have breakfast they than have a snooze and are ready to ride when I am and are nice and relaxed. At the moment they show no interest to going out until 5pm. On a normal summers day they will go out when ever I have finished with them for the day.
It’s lovely isn’t it!
I aim this year as I’m a horse down to maybe be able to keep this up all year. Maybe a slight tweak, I may keep them in a little later but in winter this would be amazing!

racebuddy

Visit site
I might try him and see if he settles , he loves his bed and most of the yard is in but hes happy on his own anyway as has individual turnout anyway xx

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I so much prefer night turnout - I only switch mine to day turnout for about 3 months of the year.

Right now they want in by about 7:30am because of the horse and deer flies. When it is 'just' the midges they are far more tolerant of staying out longer, so long as they have fly masks on.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Yes, mine are in during part of the day and out the rest of the time in the summer. I actually put them out a bit earlier than usual today as it seemed a lot hotter in the stables than outside and we have plenty of trees for shade in our fields.

My 2 were sweating in the stables so about 3pm I put them out and I know they have shade if they need it, so I agree they get a bit of breeze out.

TPO

Visit site
You would think being Arabs the heat wouldn't be a problem but they love there shade and sleep, they are Russian and polish bred so maybe that's why:D

I tell Chip hes bred to work full days in American summer temps but he denies his heritage and has firmly adapted to Scottish weather and a full wardrobe!

Last edited:

TGM

Visit site
Ours are out at night and in during the day almost all year round. Only when it gets horrendously wet in mid-winter do I reverse the routine. As mentioned above, it means they are in the stables when needed to be ridden, groomed, shod etc., and gives them more turnout time.