Liver disease / brain tumour - please help!

scotsmare

Well-Known Member
Joined
7 May 2008
Messages
9,332
Location
Scotland
www.creativewritingforaliving.co.uk
I have a shetland pony who is 20, he's been out on loan to a lovely lady who has looked after him for the last 14 years.

She's phoned this morning to say that the pony has been ill for the last couple of days and that this morning she found him staggering round his stable, foaming at the mouth and pressing his head against the wall.

Vet has been and taken blood but is suspecting either some sort of liver problem or a brain tumour. He's had an injection of something by vet. However the outlook is not good and he is recommending that unless there is an improvement this afternoon the pony is PTS.

Has anyone experienced anything like this and is there anything we could try? Is it worth trying or should we accept defeat and have him PTS?

This is truly turning into the worst week of my life.........
 

Bossanova

Well-Known Member
Joined
30 November 2004
Messages
10,284
Visit site
Oh no
frown.gif

I think the kindest thing would probably be to PTS sooner rather than later
 

quirky

Well-Known Member
Joined
3 January 2008
Messages
9,846
Location
Purdah
Visit site
I had a pony that had suspected liver damage. The vet saw him on a Friday and gave him an injection to kick start his liver, don't remember what it was.
He didn't pick up and I had him pts on the monday.

I would say if the vet was advising pts, then I would go with that opinion.
Sorry, probably not what you want to hear.
 

Chavhorse

Well-Known Member
Joined
12 August 2008
Messages
1,591
Location
Kent
Visit site
So sorry to hear this.

I know it is hard but sometimes the hardest and best thing we can do for our beloved companions is to hold them when a vet we trust quietly puts them to sleep.

If it is a liver problem then yes you can delay the enivitable but my gut feeling would be don't let him suffer.

I am so sorry and hope there is an improvement by this afternoon so that you can look at options if not then just know you are doing the right thing for him been here and I know it is harder for us than them.
*hugs*
 

devilinajar

Well-Known Member
Joined
19 August 2008
Messages
1,071
Visit site
I would listen to what your gut is telling you and go with what the vet has advised if there is no improvement this afternoon.
Sending you the biggest (((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))) as i think you will be needing them!!!!
 

lexiedhb

Well-Known Member
Joined
30 January 2007
Messages
13,959
Location
Surrey
Visit site
Pony is 20, has had a good innings, and now is the time to continue to be kind to it and have it PTS......... hugs!
 

HelsB

Well-Known Member
Joined
18 June 2008
Messages
680
Visit site
So sorry to hear this - certainly sounds like liver failure

I would be making the decision ASAP to minimise the suffering

Big Hugs xxx
 

Theresa_F

Well-Known Member
Joined
10 August 2005
Messages
5,577
Location
London - Essex side
Visit site
I found Cairo, bent bow shaped, sweated up like he had galloped the national and staggering. I managed to get him into the indoor school from the field where he immediately laid down (as I thought he would). He was 22, showing signs of aging but on the whole very healthy and looked fantastic for his age. Two hours earlier he was fine in the field, this came out of the blue.

Vet came out and wanted to pts and she said stroke or possible liver failure/infection.

He was a fighter he had fought cancer since 7 and we asked she did everything possible for him. He was given various injections and he got up. She then looked him over and it was obvious not a stroke so went for liver infection and treated with anti-bs.

He seemed to have recovered and vet was amazed how well she looked when she came back a few days later to take more bloods. They came back not to bad and we hoped that we would have him for longer.

Sadly three weeks later, he had difficultly getting up and was starting to show the same symptoms. Again he went down in the school whilst waiting for the vet, but this time, despite trying everything again, he would not get up.

We nursed him overnight in the hope he would get up, but come the morning, we realised this was the end - he would not get up, and looked old and tired and it was time for us to let go. He went to sleep with sedation and was peacefully sent on his way via injection whilst we sat with him.

If he improves, give him a chance, we did get another three weeks with Cairo to enjoy him and he was happy in the sun in the field and who knows, he could have been ok.

If he does not improve by the afternoon, then yes, sadly it is time to say goodbye. I am so sorry for you as it is hearbreaking to say goodbye to an old friend.
 

fatpiggy

Well-Known Member
Joined
1 December 2006
Messages
4,593
Visit site
It does sound like liver disease I'm afraid. Given the severity of the symptoms I don't think your vet will turn this around. Better a day early than a day late because although you will feel terrible, imagine how much worse it could all be for you and your pony. He has had a long life and clearly enjoyed it. That is worth everything. My vet reminded me that horses have no concept of tomorrow and I think that is very good advice.
 

Box_Of_Frogs

Well-Known Member
Joined
1 May 2007
Messages
6,518
Location
Deepest Wales
Visit site
Sadly some of the end stage symptoms of liver disease is the horse standing in a corner pressing its head against the wall, along with other clearly neurological abnormalities. If it is liver damage, you need to know if it's from ragwort or not. Ragwort damaged livers can't regenerate. PTS is probably the kindest option before he gets worse xxx
 

kellyeaton

Well-Known Member
Joined
13 June 2008
Messages
3,685
Visit site
i would say it was liver diease/ faliure with the foaming at the mouth that is the anioma running through his body and with him staggering around are you sure he has not gone blind my girl did this just before i lost her. It sounds like head pressing to me . I am sorry to me it sounds has it has gone right to the very last stages. The only i could say was what the vet said to me was fluid theopary vit b,s injection and vi sobin. How long did they say the bloods would take? follow your heart that will make your desicion. Good look please keep us informed!xx
 

palomino698

Well-Known Member
Joined
7 April 2007
Messages
687
Location
East Anglia
Visit site
It's absolutely heartbreaking but this doesn't sound like something that can be 'fixed' and I hope your vet gently recommends PTS rather than an expensive and probably very unfair attempt to buy the pony another week or so.

Owning animals sadly often brings the terrible responsibility of authorising euthanasia, and whether a horse or a hamster it's hard not to feel like its executioner. Please don't feel guilty - easier said than done, I know. As so often advised, better a week too early than a day too late.

Remember the happy times.

((( hugs )))
 
Top