Liver Shunt

moscow_mule

doggy paddling through the custard of life
Visit site
Hi, a friend of mine got his first GSD (bitch) pup last Friday from a breeder in Dundee.All appeared well except the pup wasn't eating as well as she should.I suggested adding a little bit of Nature Diet to her dry food to tempt her and feed little and often so as to not overface her.
As he was worried, he took her to the vet this morning.The vet has done tests(not sure which ones-he spoke to hubby,not me) the results should be back on Fri or Sat. The vet has mentioned it could be Liver Shunt.
I would love to find out more info for him,as I have no experience of the condition.
Any help would be great..pup is 9 weeks old,he spoke to the breeder who seems genuinely shocked.
Thanks Lynn
ps for those who responded to my previous thread Torrin is indeed 9yo.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Wow, Torin is looking well, I guessed about six!!!

I've never heard of that condition and I've had GSDs my whole life :eek:
Just Googled it and seems a bit of a drastic spot-diagnosis for a baby puppy off her food before test results are back, JMO!

Can you PM me the name/kennel of the breeder if that is possible?

Hope it's nothing serious.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Ooh I was spot on with Torin, brownie points to me. Certainly never heard of liver shunt in GSDs, do you know what it was that pointed the vet in that direction. I always tell people who have puppies from me not to worry if the pups go off their food for a week or so, in my experience it is quite common. I hope everything is ok with your friends pup.

moscow_mule

doggy paddling through the custard of life
Visit site
Hi again,

Well,it's not liver shunt.Think that was what you lot assumed.Pup is going back for more tests today nd the results will be known shortly.The vet is saying there is some prob poss concerning the liver.Does anybody think it is a pup just settling into it's new house ?.

Lynn.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
He does seem to be going for the worst case scenario! I'd be going for a second opinion.
I lost a ten year old to a liver/spleen problem and she did not go off her food until the very last few days of her life, she was in super condition. I know all dogs are different of course.