Liveries taking the pee....

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
I am miffed, now to make this slightly more difficult... I don't own a horse and I'm not on a livery yard

However close friend is her horse is very lame I called the vet and I'm paying his bills. However due to the overall situation I am requested to be prescent at all visits as decisions about treatment are ultimately mine as I'm paying (friend can't and has a history of been a bad payer another reason I called vet and paid visit/examination up front)

So when another livery on the yard drags her horse In Waits patiently for us to say goodbye to vet before going can you just look at mine..
Vet spends a good 20 mins on said horse diagnoses lami. Girl said she knew vet was coming so had brought horse down. Vet will re see this horse next week when vet is out to us (afternoon with us as nerve blocking/xrays) so he will recheck her horse then

Am I wrong to be slightly miffed that she's using my call out charges to see her horse? I did make a flippant comment about paying 2 people's bills but it went over her head
How do I bring this up again? As I think she needs to pay half

be positive

Visit site
The vet should take responsibility for splitting the call out, if you think they will not do so automatically phone the office and tell them that is what you are expecting, I wouldn't bring it up with the livery in case it is ignored, far better to get it done at the other end, no room for arguments or misunderstanding.

JFTDWS

Visit site
If you paid this call out up front, technically she should pay all of the next one. I don't know that the practice would do that for you, but they should certainly split it 50-50.

w1bbler

Visit site
Yep, just call the practice & confirm they are splitting the call out charge. - I have tagged onto someone else's call out in the past, I automatically expected to be sharing the call out. Didn't discuss it with the other party as just assumed it was split - subsequent bill had half a call out on.

NinjaPony

Visit site
That wouldn't bother me at all, I'm always keen to split call out charges where possible, and especially at the moment I'd rather the vets saw several at once rather than wasted their time coming multiple times. IME vets will always split a call out charge when they see multiple horses.

Joyous70

Visit site
Vet should split the call out automatically, ring the office to make sure that they do.

Have to say at least the livery waited until your appointment was over, I have had a livery jump on the vet the minute they got out the car once wanting their horse looking at, when I had made the appointment and was waiting patiently for them to arrive.

skint1

Visit site
I wold never do that without prior agreement from the person who called the vet and I would fully expect to be billed. As it happens on our yard we do stuff like that, but not in the way it's been done to you. Try calling the vet office and telling them to split the call out fee, good luck!

Visit site
It's cheeky but it does happen. My vets have always automatically split the call out for anyone jumping onto "my appointment", just give them a call and ask to check that youre only paying half the call out.

teddypops

Visit site
It’s quite usual and vets will split the call out. As you have paid up front, you will be in credit with your vet. She waited until you were finished, so I can’t really understand the problem.

bonny

Visit site
It’s quite usual and vets will split the call out. As you have paid up front, you will be in credit with your vet. She waited until you were finished, so I can’t really understand the problem.
This, it doesn’t actually make any difference to you if the vet saw another horse or left. If it bugs you and you are both having the vet out again I would ask the other owner to pay that call out charge if the initial one isn’t split.

chocolategirl

Visit site
I am miffed, now to make this slightly more difficult... I don't own a horse and I'm not on a livery yard

However close friend is her horse is very lame I called the vet and I'm paying his bills. However due to the overall situation I am requested to be prescent at all visits as decisions about treatment are ultimately mine as I'm paying (friend can't and has a history of been a bad payer another reason I called vet and paid visit/examination up front)

So when another livery on the yard drags her horse In Waits patiently for us to say goodbye to vet before going can you just look at mine..
Vet spends a good 20 mins on said horse diagnoses lami. Girl said she knew vet was coming so had brought horse down. Vet will re see this horse next week when vet is out to us (afternoon with us as nerve blocking/xrays) so he will recheck her horse then

Am I wrong to be slightly miffed that she's using my call out charges to see her horse? I did make a flippant comment about paying 2 people's bills but it went over her head
How do I bring this up again? As I think she needs to pay half
I would expect the vet to automatically share the fallout fee tbh? this is what my vet would do for sure.

PSD

Visit site
If you’ve already paid, ask the vet to reissue the bill and split the call out, they should be able to just credit your account with the difference for any future call outs.

Chianti

Visit site
Is the other horse registered with that vet? I once had my vet out and just as he was about to go another livery appeared and asked him if he could 'just have a quick look while he was there?' He asked if it was urgent , which it wasn't, and was she one of his clients, which she wasn't. He very politely said that it wouldn't be appropriate for him to do so and she should book a visit from her vet

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
Is the other horse registered with that vet? I once had my vet out and just as he was about to go another livery appeared and asked him if he could 'just have a quick look while he was there?' He asked if it was urgent , which it wasn't, and was she one of his clients, which she wasn't. He very politely said that it wouldn't be appropriate for him to do so and she should book a visit from her vet

Yes horse will be registered as its owned by yard owner and onloan to said girl,
I've left it with my friend to discuss it with her today other wise ill mention it to the vets as suggested next week
I've not paid for next visit as they are unsure of how far we will go they know I've put a limit on a grand

Bloody friend last year when the horse had issues I told her to insure it! But ohhh no.

9tails

Visit site
Vet should split the call out automatically, ring the office to make sure that they do.

Have to say at least the livery waited until your appointment was over, I have had a livery jump on the vet the minute they got out the car once wanting their horse looking at, when I had made the appointment and was waiting patiently for them to arrive.

Me too! I had to go looking for the vet after 30 minutes who was deep in conversation with another livery. Then, as we were walking towards my stable, there was a voice calling "Can you just..." I told the livery he would be free after me, she said "Oh it's not that important".

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
This has happened to me not very long ago - the vet automatically split the call-out charge, although if they hadn't I was prepared to ask them to do so.

I get very annoyed at people who insist on speaking to the vet during my time, even if it is about my horse (I have one livery who just will not p*ss off and is constantly up my nose waffling crap) - I have now gone with the tactic of 'if you are so eager to be involved in my consultation, I will ensure that 'x vet' knows to charge you for 50% of all fees. If you wouldn't like to pay, please feel free to go away'. That may sound harsh but I am seriously quickly approaching the end of my patience with her.

be positive

Visit site
If I knew the vet was due to another horse and I wanted a consultation I would phone the surgery to request one and not just ambush them once they were there and I would expect to be charged an element of the call out fee but maybe I am just strange.

This is what should happen it is also why so often vets end up running late for appointments, much the same as the farrier who gets asked to put a shoe on or trim one that was not booked in, we are possibly all guilty of doing it occasionally, although the same people will usually be the first to complain when they are waiting for an appointment ;)