Liveries taking the pee....

Berpisc

Visit site
If I knew the vet was due to another horse and I wanted a consultation I would phone the surgery to request one and not just ambush them once they were there and I would expect to be charged an element of the call out fee but maybe I am just strange.
Would have thought it was basic good manners to be honest, but hey...

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Would have thought it was basic good manners to be honest, but hey...

Ha! I have on occasion booked a vet, dentist or farrier for my horses at a certain time, and helpfully told the other liveries, only to find they usurp my place ('Oh yeah, I wanted to have Dobbin at 10am so you're now at 2pm'). There are not enough 'f u c k yous' in the world to deal with this.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
As others have said I'd ring the practice and ask for a split-call charge.

OP. None of my business I know, but I'm concerned that you are in the position where you don't own the horse in question, yet you are paying someone else's vet bills?? Do you have any usage of this horse at all?? Because if you don't, then frankly I think someone is taking the P!ss out of you big-time. If I was paying vets bills for a horse then I'd jolly well want some usage of it!! FFS!

OK so none of my business I know, but you shouldn't have been in this position in the first place. End of.

Then the cheeky livery turns up with her nag when the vet shows up and expects YOU to pay! Honestly!. Sorry to be blunt, but I think you need to put your foot down with the so-called "friend", concerning the paying of the vets bill for this horse in the first place, as you're obviously seen as being a soft-touch where people can just turn up with their horses and you will pay! I rather suspect "friend" (I wouldn't call her that) is a bit of a free-loader and if you investigate you'd probably find that she CAN damn well pay! Her horse for pity's sake! Her responsibility! People like this often tout themselves as being hard-up but they can still afford foreign holidays, plus they'll quite happily drink, smoke & go clubbing, yet still plead poverty! I've been a soft-touch in the past and got taken the mickey out of well and truly, so know what I'm talking about here!

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
Myjods
The horse is suffering to a fairly high level friend is a friend of over 10 years she's a young lass 3 horses earns minimum wage, and is currently taking home 500 quid a month.

I've known the horse as long as I've known the owner I've always ridden him and friend would always let me ride any of her horses when ever I needed it's not about my usage or what I'm getting back it's about the horse and ending his suffering.

I am forcing her to sell things saddles etc and I have mentioned selling one of the other horses if it comes down to life or death choices.

The only holiday she's ever been o. Was a sun holiday with me she doesn't go clubbing drink or even have a car.

So no I'm not a soft touch I'm just in a position where I've got money in the bank and I can prevent a horse suffering any more.

HOTTODDY
Thank you.

be positive

Visit site
You are being very kind, no need to justify why you are helping your friend and the horse, who obviously means a lot to you, I hope it all works out and he can be fixed, I am sure you can easily sort out the bill with the vets.

Most of us with horses will do our best to help if we can, it is not always financial help but a few hours of our time can make a huge difference when someone is struggling.

fusspot

Visit site
It’s a very kind thing that you have done for your friend and for getting the horse sorted. I would be miffed if somebody had done that too-just stand your ground and make sure you get some money from her.If the practice Invoice you just call them and make sure they have her name,if not I would call the vets and tell them that as you have paid this one and covered both,the vet will be looking at both next visit and the whole call out is to be charged to her.I would mention in passing to the girl that you have let the vets know so that you have paid for one call out each Which is fair.
It does my head in when the vet/farrier is late for me as the yard before has added an extra couple,I totally respect their professionalism at not saying no, but cannot understand that they have a days appointments,you know in advance if you have a couple extra,ring or text the vets/farrier in advance so they can adjust the rest of the days appointments-I know emergencies happen but not when they are routine or longer standing issues.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
That is very generous of you and your friend is very lucky to have you.

Yes, I would be fairly unhappy with the situation unless it was pre-agreed.

I’d probably be more irritated at the lack of courtesy than the bill, as I suppose I would be paying it anyway.

I’m sure we have all had to wait for a vet who has been unexpectedly delayed - and often the delay is due to and emergency or another really valid reason. Chancing it that the vet will agree to see them isn’t great manners, and could really throw the vet out just due to poor planning rather than a legitimate reason.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
3 horses? Blow me, I can’t afford a 2nd, it would come to a quarter of my wage, I just can’t justify it.

Did you pay the vet visit up front, J? If so, other person pays the next one. We share call out fees and always try to coincide with farrier, vaccinations etc, makes financial sense. Unless there’s an actual emergency, Dobbin next door does not take my slot! Saying that, I usurped Dobbin’s sport with the farrier one day when the owner asked the groom to turn out and the groom said I could go first!

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
Yes CT I had paid up front
Can't for the next visit as vets unsure how far we will be going with nerve blocks/X rays etc

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Yes CT I had paid up front
Can't for the next visit as vets unsure how far we will be going with nerve blocks/X rays etc

Then tell the cheeky biatch she pays for the next one and don’t pay up front again! Alternatively, suck it up as you’d have paid the same anyway and if she tries to muscle in on your visit, tell her....well you know what I’d say, so just say that.