Liverpool Wood Pellets good/bad experiences please :)

Escada2004

Visit site
As in the title really, im changing bedding from straw and have read some threads and done some research and they seem to supply a lot of people and are very cost effective 1 tonne in 15kg bags of their premium pellets for £225.40 inc VAT and Delivery :)

oscarwild

Visit site
I use them and had no problems with delivery. We bought a few pallets in last order and we got the premium ones for £3.62 per bag delivered.

Escada2004

Visit site
thanks all, ive heard mostly good things about them so nice to hear from people that are currently using them. Thye have a discount on at the moment and quoted me £3.36 if i have 1 tonne which is fine by me and its nice to know that after the discount they arnt much more! They seem to be the cheapest around even for the premium ones so think i will give them a go. How many bags do ou use for start up and then topping up and how much water did you put on them at first? Do you add water when you top up or just mix those in to then absorbe any wet?

McNally

Visit site
I added water when i topped up but others i know didnt- My horse was so dry i had to or else it never broke down.
I used premium but they go greyish anyway so would go economy next time I think thats the main difference.
Small muck heap, dense bed easy to muck out and i had no problems with delivery.

Oberon

Visit site
I've been using LWP for the last 2 years now.

The only problems I've had have been with resentful and slightly bizarre delivery drivers, but the issue is with the courier they use, not LWP themselves. And a quick call to LWP will rectify the problem.

I have bought both the premium and economy pellets and saw no difference between them. So I'd plump for economy each time.

I usually start each bed with a massive 13 bags each. If it's winter I never wet the pellets. This dry weather, I'd pile them in the middle and chuck a bucket or two over them.

(I have asthma and a severe dust allergy - staw makes me quite ill, but even when the pellets are 'dusty', they never set me off.)

Then I top up with a couple of bags each week. My horses are very wet;)

I find my beds get saturated if I don't keep the beds deep enough.

CastleMouse

Visit site
I use a different brand of wood pellets (based in Ireland), and switched over from shavings a couple of months ago. I have to say that I'm very happy; it's very absorbent and easy to muck out.

oscarwild

Visit site
When I set up my bed, I used 8 bags to start my bed and then top up with 1 bag a week. My mare is reasonably clean but when on then with my gelding who was dirty I could still get off with 1 bag a week.

tibby

Visit site
I orderred my LWP last Wednesday they were deliverred on Friday, I live in Norfolk, I think that is brilliant service. I have been using them for about two years, to damp I put a bag of pellets in a tub trug then add a bucket of water I leave them about an hour while I do the other stables by the time I use them they are nicely broken down and not too wet or dry.

grandmaweloveyou

Visit site
oooooh i just found this in the search after posting for some advice and am going to move from straw to pellets...i was looking at whitehorsebedding but will look at this one now too. nice to see some positive comments, any negatives?

Visit site
used them for about a year now - excellent service and prices. find premium slightly more absorbent so stick to them - still much cheaper than hunters we used to use. really good for box walker. make sure you soak them as some sites say uou dont need to but there have been incidences of horses eating. my friend added a little disinfectant first time hers tried and hasnt looked back since. Special forks are available but I bought the large one and it really is too big with my back!! just use a normal plastic shavings fork now and works fine. really is much quicker to muck out.

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
Is there anywhere you can go and collect them, like local feed merchants ? I live in Cardiff, you only seem to be able to get them delivered from the manufacturers

Escada2004

Visit site
ive had mine from Liverpool now for a week and i actually quite like them :) i started the first stable by tipping out 10 bags and then tried sprinkling water on them, it took forever and i was started to wonder what i had done :/ so on my second stable i did what someone had suggested and tipped a bad in to half w tub trug of water, left it a cuple of mins until it exploded like popcorn and then tipped out, i used two tub trugs at a time and took me a fraction of the time! I have one messy mare and one clean, the messy one i found it a little difficul to get the little bits of poop out but then bought one of the special forks and althoug a little on the expensive side £30 it is great! I havent taken any wet out since i put them down last sat so tomorrow i will turn the beds and take most of the wet out and mix some in, and will add a bag of pellets in each if they need it but to be hoenst the beds look as big as before. I definately recommend putting the pellets in half a tub trug of water though as its a really quick way of doing it :) and its so nice to come home and not stink of pee like i did when they were on straw :D

Escada2004

Visit site
Is there anywhere you can go and collect them, like local feed merchants ? I live in Cardiff, you only seem to be able to get them delivered from the manufacturers

Have you got a price off liverpool wood pellets for delivery? They didnt charge me any extra, i know im closer to them but its worth asking :D also the delivery company were great, they even helped me upload 1 tonne of them and stack them in the barn as its difficult to access with the lorry :D

Oberon

Visit site
Another method of wetting is to make a slit in the bags and fill up with water (like a Pot Noodle).

Ladylina83

Visit site
Fantastic !! I am going to give these a go as I stink this morning !! I think I will try with my mare first as we use straw at the moment as it is easy to get my hands on cheep and delivered but these seem to have the same values !! quite excited actually :)

Does any one have any photo's of thier beds ?? Do you just use a normal shavings fork ??

Escada2004

Visit site
Fantastic !! I am going to give these a go as I stink this morning !! I think I will try with my mare first as we use straw at the moment as it is easy to get my hands on cheep and delivered but these seem to have the same values !! quite excited actually :)

Does any one have any photo's of thier beds ?? Do you just use a normal shavings fork ??

honestly i never ever smell now, its fab! My clean mare i can use a normal shavings fork but my other mare kicks it round the stable so i invested in one of the special plastic ones as the prongs are a lot closer together. So i get the big bits out with the normal fork then go over it with the plastic one, works a treat :D

Naryafluffy

Visit site
Have you got a price off liverpool wood pellets for delivery? They didnt charge me any extra, i know im closer to them but its worth asking :D also the delivery company were great, they even helped me upload 1 tonne of them and stack them in the barn as its difficult to access with the lorry :D

We're up in Scotland, just outside Edinburgh and they only charge us £11 for delivery.

Naryafluffy

Visit site
As in the title really, im changing bedding from straw and have read some threads and done some research and they seem to supply a lot of people and are very cost effective 1 tonne in 15kg bags of their premium pellets for £225.40 inc VAT and Delivery :)

How many bags are you getting?
I used Liverpool in the past but switched to a local company that do the verdo pellets, I'm getting 65 x 15kg bags for £220 which is just under a tonne (975kg), do you get 66 or 67 bags.
What I liked about Liverpool pellets is that you could actually request different bag sizes, we used to order a tonne of 10kg bags and a tonne of 20kg bags, don't know if they still do this, the dirty horses got the bigger bags and the cleaner horses got the smaller bags.

Escada2004

Visit site
How many bags are you getting?
I used Liverpool in the past but switched to a local company that do the verdo pellets, I'm getting 65 x 15kg bags for £220 which is just under a tonne (975kg), do you get 66 or 67 bags.
What I liked about Liverpool pellets is that you could actually request different bag sizes, we used to order a tonne of 10kg bags and a tonne of 20kg bags, don't know if they still do this, the dirty horses got the bigger bags and the cleaner horses got the smaller bags.

I got 67 15kg bags for £220ish and so far i really like them, ive just put one in a week but might put two in every now and again although thats just me being picky and wanting a hige bed ha ha. Not sure if they do different bag sizes but i do know you can order a big sack with 1 tonne or so loose ones so i guess that could be good for some people if they can store inside and you can use as much or as little as you want at a time :)

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
I notice there are 2 different VAT rates

What's stopping anyone ordering saying they are for biofuel and only paying 5% VAT, just curious, do you have to show proof ?

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
if you have a company you have to declare they are for bedding and pay the full VAT otherwise you may well be caught out. I have a legitimate livery yard, registered as a company, I am VAt registered so i have to pay VAT on them at standard rate, but then i claim it back in my return at standard rate

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
if you have a company you have to declare they are for bedding and pay the full VAT otherwise you may well be caught out. I have a legitimate livery yard, registered as a company, I am VAt registered so i have to pay VAT on them at standard rate, but then i claim it back in my return at standard rate

I don't have a company just lil old me lol, I was just curious, I bet people do it if you don't have to give proof

wispa

Visit site
out of interest then, on aan average messy horse in a 12x12 stable, how long would you expect a one tonne pallet to last???

just the bedding I get is 750kg for just over £180 delivered and inc vat and would likely last me about 3 months including setting up the bed s well

9tails

Visit site
3 months? Lord, no, I'd expect a 1 tonne pallet to last almost if not a full year. Mine lives out during summer though. 10 bags to start, 2 bags per week for around 35 weeks of the year. Occasionally throw in a couple of extra bags as she is in longer during the really bad days in winter.

http://s654.photobucket.com/albums/uu262/9tails_2009/Woodpellets/

The link above is 8 weeks of a wood pellet bed. I've used them for 3 years and wouldn't try anything else.

Ladylina83

Visit site
3 months? Lord, no, I'd expect a 1 tonne pallet to last almost if not a full year. Mine lives out during summer though. 10 bags to start, 2 bags per week for around 35 weeks of the year. Occasionally throw in a couple of extra bags as she is in longer during the really bad days in winter.

http://s654.photobucket.com/albums/uu262/9tails_2009/Woodpellets/

The link above is 8 weeks of a wood pellet bed. I've used them for 3 years and wouldn't try anything else.

Really helpful post thanks !! I am just waiting to get through the last of my large bale of straw then I'll order prob next week and update on how we get on !