Livery advice

asmp

Visit site
Sorry to say it looks as though she wants you out whatever, probably to get to get a full livery in.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It does sound as if the steroids have helped your horse, if you haven't heard her cough for 3 days. We had an elderly horse with a cough, she responded well to steroids and Ventipulmin. TBH, if I were the and felt that the horse should be examined/treated, I would be pushing the owner to get something done. However she should not have allowed any-one else to inject your horse, as you hadn't agreed to that. I would also want to soak/steam the hay or give haylage. You can't just ignore symptoms because the horse is elderly. Is there a spare stable on one of the other yards, or could you turn your horse out with suitable companions on one of the other yards?

apkelly01

Visit site
You might want to be a bit careful about how much info you're giving about yourself online. You're pretty identifiable and I'm sure will piss off a few people should they see this post - not what you want if you're looking to build bridges/move.

I can't edit or delete but I've reported my thread and they are sorting it for me

apkelly01

Visit site
It does sound as if the steroids have helped your horse, if you haven't heard her cough for 3 days. We had an elderly horse with a cough, she responded well to steroids and Ventipulmin. TBH, if I were the and felt that the horse should be examined/treated, I would be pushing the owner to get something done. However she should not have allowed any-one else to inject your horse, as you hadn't agreed to that. I would also want to soak/steam the hay or give haylage. You can't just ignore symptoms because the horse is elderly. Is there a spare stable on one of the other yards, or could you turn your horse out with suitable companions on one of the other yards?

I haven't heard her coughing in 4 days now and she only got the steroid yesterday. I wasn't ignoring it, just didn't think it was worth a vet call as she was only coughing occasionally and not constantly. If she was continuously coughing then yes I would have called a vet. There's other horses in the yard with coughs and we (horse owners) all agree it's the dusty hay. I don't know why suddenly my horse is dying in the eyes of the YM.

apkelly01

Visit site
Move.

£65 a week DIY? Do they do your horse for that? I pay £35 a week including hay/haylage but thats pure DIY.

I'm sure you could find a much friendlier yard.

They put her out in the morning and if I haven't done it yet, they'll bring her in. I do everything else - muck out, feed, hay, water etc

apkelly01

Visit site
Tbh looks like a bargain price to me - if they are selling they may be short of cash ... as for the vet the yard manager has a duty of care and one et believes your horse is ill... if they have lots of competition horses they won’t want it to spread.

No the sale of the property is for other genuine reasons. YM rents from the owner and sublets it to the liveries. We're hoping if it sells, the new owner will keep us on as tennents as the yard is not connected to the house and is a 3/4 mile hack away. Unless they want to turn it back into a foaling yard.

My mare hasn't left the yard in 5 years, so it would be the other way round. If any contagious diseases came in, it came from the competition horses as they're heading out to other venues.

blitznbobs

Visit site
No the sale of the property is for other genuine reasons. YM rents from the owner and sublets it to the liveries. We're hoping if it sells, the new owner will keep us on as tennents as the yard is not connected to the house and is a 3/4 mile hack away. Unless they want to turn it back into a foaling yard.

My mare hasn't left the yard in 5 years, so it would be the other way round. If any contagious diseases came in, it came from the competition horses as they're heading out to other venues.
But if your horse is old it may have caught it -and just cos it’s not left the premises doesn’t mean it can’t get sick ..norovirus goes round nursing homes like wild fire - most of the residents never go anywhere ... but it does spread round from person to person .

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think it’s pretty significant that your vet saw the horse after treatment, that doesn’t mean the first vet was wrong. I can totally understand where the YM is coming from- I wouldn’t want a horse with a persistent cough undiagnosed on the yard.

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
For future reference (and I’m guessing Ire is the same as U.K.), contractually the person who calls the vet is liable for the bill. However they would have to do this without your knowledge or authority to be “truely” liable for it. In this case it looks like they did make you aware they were going to get the vet to look at your horse

I'm afraid this is not the case here. I was in a yard that ran lessons and had a very similar looking horse to my own. They called the vet for their own horse and told them I was the owner and gave the vet my details.

The procedure that was done was clearly not done to mine - but I couldn't legally prove it and the bill landed in my name. I contested it with the vet's practice and they said the waived it and brought it up with the yard owner.

7 years later I got the same practice to vet a horse and paid by CC. Only when the receipt came back did I realise they had added this contested charge onto the account that I had just paid.
It was up to me to prove that it wasn't my horse. unfortunately both horses had been sold on and passed away at that stage.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I think the first thing you need to do is speak directly to the first vet and get the diagnosis etc from her.

As others have said the price issue is completely separate to the vet issue and it is a business. Maybe she wasn't in favour of the prices anyway the way they stood and wanted the DIY to be higher. It is up to a business to decide what and how much to charge and then customers decide whether they find it reasonable (pay for it) or not (do not purchase product/services).

From what you say, I would have decided the same as you - if my horse coughs it's always in winter and it's occasional (once or twice a day max) and always after we've started to feed hay. She's always bright/eating/drinking etc so I monitor her if/when she starts. If my other pony were to cough I'd be getting a vet as I don't think I've ever heard her cough.

If my YO told me to get a vet for my first pony I'd politely explain to them about her history (ie hay and coughing) and if that didn't appease them I'd tell them I'd get my own vet and would be declining their vet.

tristar

Visit site
first thing is wet the hay, today, it will help if its an allergy, and if the horse is older to soften the hay, and monitor cough.

if you want to stay stay just take a load of no notice of ym, she might leave, just say yeah yeah yeah to keep her happy, don`t react and wait a while to see what happens, if it gets worse you can`t beat telling it straight to them, say the authentic truth of how you feel and how they are personally spoiling your ownership of horses with their unprofessional and spiteful attitude.

i would ring the vet concerned, and discuss the situation with her, and point blank ask her why she treated the horse without your consent, as this was not an emergency situation, and tell her what your own vet said, also point out that you feel bullied at the yard, you have a right to express your feelings she might be surprised not realizing how you feel, but you need to offload some the distress that you are experiencing, and also say you now have two vet bills - and two diagnoses so would like know which is correct, are you to call in a third vet? ask her what she suggests, and ask should you really be giving your horse doses of antibiotics for a suspected allergy and is she certain it is an infection etc, if so what was the horses temperature? all this you would have know if you could present.

if the price goes up and you want to stay, looks like you have to pay.

kc921

Visit site
They put her out in the morning and if I haven't done it yet, they'll bring her in. I do everything else - muck out, feed, hay, water etc
That still doesn't validate charging £65 a week. Thats very expensive for DIY livery. I paid £37 a week which included T/O and B/I everything else was DIY.
After everything you have explained it sounds like YO wants you out. I would make that move before it is forced upon you

only_me

Visit site
OP just to say that there’s been an outbreak of a new strain of flu (well it was last seen 2010) in your area so just be aware as you’re also on a competition centre. It’s free to get checked for flu so might be worth getting your mare checked if still coughing.