Livery at competition yard

Helga1980

Visit site
Do any of you have your horse on livery at a competition yard?

I've know got my list of potential livery yards down to two, both pretty equal in terms of facilities, distance, YO, vibe etc. but one is a competition yard which runs unaff / aff SJ and dressage every weekend.

This is obviously a pro in terms of access to the comps but I'm thinking it could also be a con in terms of the yard being very busy at weekends. What are your views on this sort of situation?

Thanks

Rambo

Visit site
Depends on the location of the yard in relation to the competition centre itself. I know of one where the yard is fairly detached and wouldn't have a problem with that at all. However, if my horses stable overlooked the indoor arena for instance, i'd be less happy
shocked.gif

Claireg9

Visit site
i agree with Rambo, if it was to near id be worried about my horses security, alot easier to just pop in take a horse and load it up without anyone questioning!
Surely the comp yard cant be far from the uncomp yard if there both close to you so you can still get easy acess to comp's without living on site?

Helga1980

Visit site
Thanks, the stables are reasonably detached from the competition aspect of the yard but close enough that you'd still hear / see what was going on.

However, thinking about it, it is pretty difficult for visiting people or horses to access and wander round the stable area without being noticed.

dieseldog

Visit site
There aren't very many places in South Wales that run competions every weekend - which one are you looking at? - Rough area if you don't wan to name it.

Helga1980

Visit site
Your assumption is very logical, but sadly logic doesn't come into it with Welsh roads!!

uncomp yard is 2 miles west of me, comp yard 4 miles north of me via lanes, but couldn't really take a trailer along the back roads so would be a trip of about 12 miles to get from one yard to the other!

miller

Visit site
Just left one like that and personally I wouldn't do it again (horse at home now so don't need to worry) would travel to shows, not only is use of facilities disrupted on show days, often tend to hire out the facilities o a regular basis. We got to the point were the only times one of the arena's was free was after 10am morning and before 17:30 great when you work.

Also full course of SJ's were left out for the whole of the summer - not so good if you want a dressage lesson.

Helga1980

Visit site
Livery yard is near Caerphilly, only really started running competitions every weekend this year and has/is starting BD and BSJA this month.

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Also full course of SJ's were left out for the whole of the summer - not so good if you want a dressage lesson.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like heaven
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Helga1980

Visit site
Miller - did the yard have more than one arena?? Was it only the access to an arena that put you off??

The yard I'm looking at has an indoor which is used for competitions and hired out and an outdoor which is avaialble for liveries during the week but used for warm-up on the weekends.

Petrie

Visit site
Just left one which ran competitions and it was a bit of a pain, I have to admit.

They were PC comps, so lots of kids on ponies running about, and we also had PC camp there too - nightmare!!

There was always a set of show jumps set up on the school, which was annoying when I was trying to school.

They weren't competitions I could have entered myself though (pony size show jumping and PC one day events etc) perhaps if they had been, I would have really liked it.

Jemayni

Visit site
I use to have my horse at a competition yard (and its still there but the owners of the yard have stopped doing competitions,) I really enjoyed it, there are problems sometimes with courses being left out, but then again its nice to be able to school your horse round bsja fences
smile.gif
Its also brilliant if transport is a problem, but I did find comps there got a bit boring as your horse knows the place so he doesnt get the competition/show-off vibe! (Also great value for money if you get reduced competition fees, often makes the fact your horse is on a more expensive yard irrelevant!)

miller

Visit site
Sorry, only just got back on!

2 arena's on 25x35 on 45x65.

On show/pony club/riding club days both hired out.

Big school was hired out most often but the smaller school had no membrane and was full of stones so not IMO rideable.

Yes it was access to arena that was the main problem - my lad is a dressage horse, even if they had BD on they would leave jumps up until night before so no space to school sensibly.

Was more annoying in the fact I moved there as the arena was 'promised' to be accessible at all times apart from show days and no more than 2 SJ's to be left in! Didn't woprk like that in the end - great if you are a jumper not so good if you do dressage!

Helga1980

Visit site
Thanks, it's looking like I will be going for the uncomp yard.

The comp yard was very nice but, because they run comps so often, they are very strict in terms of routine / access etc. and whilst routine is important for horses I'd like a little more flexibility!