Livery decision

MissFliss

Visit site
I’m thinking about moving livery yards and have the choice of 2 yards, both a similar distance from me. I’m going to look at them tomorrow but I’d appreciate input on which one sounds best.

Yard 1- year round turn out, only 1 stable at the mo (I need 2) but the pony can go out 24/7 rugged up and am sure there will be another stable come up before next winter. Indoor school small and very deep so no suitable for my horse but ok to go in with my daughter and her pony. Outdoor school decent as well, and good hacking. I’ve been there years ago with a part loan and the yard owner was great, very chilled out. £45/ week to include all haylage and straw. £2.50 per turn out//bring in. Id need 5 of these a week so total 57.50/week.

Yard 2 large indoor, outdoor plus outdoor jumping and lunge pen. 2 stables available . £60/week to included 5 turn outs or bring ins. Includes basic hard feed (not sure I’d use this but would need to find out what this was but bedding extra (£7.50/ shaving bale). BUT winter turnout is only in pens with all weather surface and hay nets rather than field. I’m not sure whether my horse would be ok with this. Hacking superb.

Decisions decisions! Hopefully I’ll know tomorrow after I’ve seen the second one!

On the Hoof

Visit site
Does yard one really have all year turn out - or is it weather dependent? I would want to be sure about that and if not I’d go for yard two especially as it seems to have better and more suitable facilities for your horse

mariew

Visit site
If no restrictions on use of indoor (i.e. times etc) for me it would be a no brainer on number 2, if you like riding. If you don't ride much then first one may be better, as long as this is guaranteed turnout and doesn't end up with turnout every now and then for a few hours if weather hasn't been bad, and it is an assisted service that is not just a livery who could decide to up and go at any point. I'd probably still go for number 2 though.

Annagain

Visit site
For me, it would be the turnout that would decide it. If number 1 is proper, out in all weathers turnout I'd go for that. If there's any chance they could be kept in during wet weather, I'd go for yard two - provided the turnout pens are big enough for them to have a good run around, they're not on their own and they can go in them for as long as you want, not just an hour or two at a time.

be positive

Visit site
If yard 1 genuinely turns out all year then I would go for that provided the outdoor is good, at yard 2 you will end up paying for extra bedding all winter because they will be in so much so the costs will rise well above the £60, if they need 2 bales most weeks that is an extra £15 per horse, I would also want to ensure they are generous with the hay and not limited to a certain amount each day.
I think turnout pens can be useful but the horses will require more exercise and however good the facilities are it can be hard to ride every day in the middle of the winter and at busy times the schools may be full of everyone trying to do the same.

MissFliss

Visit site
Yard 1 def turns out all year, i was there a good few years ago and we turned out in all weathers. I think I need to see what the turnout pens are like really, that’ll be the clincher. I ride 4/5 times per week during the daytime so prob not a huge competition for the arenas and I also mostly hack at the moment so exercise wise my big horse will prob be ok thinking about it. Am excited to hopefully find somewhere good! Am currently having to rely on other liveries to help me on nights when I work despite me being promised assisted bring ins when i went there, and i absolutely hate having to rely on other people, especially when mybhorse is occasionally a bit of a tit-I always feel super guilty!

Shooting Star

Visit site
Yard 1, I’ve had restricted winter turnout before and seen the difference in my horse when they’ve moved elsewhere without restrictions - never again!

GoldenWillow

Visit site
Yard 1 as turnout genuinely is all year. I've been on a yard that heavily restricted/stopped turnout in winter but used turnout pens. The horses just stood there and waited to come in, unless the pens are very big even turned out in pairs they didn't really move around.