Livery dispute advice

Winters100

Visit site
Seriously you have to accept that turning your horse out with others is a calculated risk, and one that you took. If yours seriously injured an uninsured horse in the paddock would you be expecting to pay the vet? Or to pay the market value of the horse if it had to be pts? It sounds to me like the owner was bullied into agreeing, and that having since learned how unreasonable the request is she has decided to move to be far away from you. A court will not enforce payment from her, even though she agreed initially, since there was never any legal obligation. For this to exist every owner in the field would have had to agree to such liability (including you). If you cannot accept the risk of such accidents I do understand it. I have a mare who shows little interest in others, so I choose to have single turnout but with the option of interaction over the fence if she chooses. That having been said my previous horse would have been miserable alone, so I took the risk with him. Only you can decide if the benefits outweigh the risks, based not only upon your attitude to risk but also the the character of the horse. If you don't put this behind you then you risk becoming someone who is unwanted on every yard. I would certainly not allow my horse to be turned out with one whose owner might be thinking of taking me to court over a scrap in the paddock! I am guessing that you have not had horses for very long, so do try to learn what is reasonable and normal practice.

Doublethyme

Visit site
I should have mentioned half the excess is £250, I have received £50 but had no further payments despite agreeing to £25 a month until the full amount was paid.
So you obviously have a cheaper lower rate insurance cover as your excess is £500......yet you expect someone else to foot the bill! I know what I would have told you and it wouldn't have been polite. Your post and the words you have used smack of bullying to me and as someone else said I hope you weren't the cause of the livery moving, but I suspect you were. The horse world is a small place and always better to create friends not a reputation for being small minded and petty.
Move on, pay your own bill and learn that if you cannot cover your £500 excess, buy more comprehensive coverage with a smaller excess 🤷.

Doublethyme

Visit site
There is still £200 of the £250 excess due.

My mare got a away lightly, stitched and pain killers, thankfully she was turned back out as soon as she had be stitched up. She was torn by a gelding serving her whilst out with a mixed herd.

The owner of said gelding was asked by the yard owner to test the gelding to see if it was fully castrated which was the case.

I believe I have a good case and want to take this further on the condition I am likely to win.

Jeez you need to have your own place on your own. My niece's new horse went out with my two mares and my sister's boy on arrival. All fine for a month or so till hormones took over. He mounted my old girl and she had a few bites and scratches, but also ended up with a nasty cut from a kick on her chest (most likely from my other mare or the older gelding who she'd known since they were youngsters). Did we all do the blame game, no....we just revised the turnout arrangements immediately for everyone's safety, realising the new gelding whilst not a proper rig is very hormonal and so are my mares (takes two to tango usually where mares are concerned!!).