Livery or home dilema, advice needed please.

mastermax

Visit site
I have kept my horses at a fantastic private livery yard for some time now. Just me there, amazing owners, gorgeous school but not such good hacking although you can pick and choose your times when the "rat run" isn't too bad. The stables are all internal so lovely and dry to muck out on wet mornings and there are also spare stables I put them in to feed in the mornings so I can crack on and muck out. I love it there but sadly have known for some time that they are selling up and moving on. Property due to go on in the spring.
I have been quietly looking at other yards but they all seem to have issues and not sure if I want to get involved in yard politics anymore.
My other issue is I seriously don't have much time at the moment at all to enjoy them, it just seems like all the work and no play. We are dairy farmers and right in the middle of block calving and is all a nightmare.
Both horses have had problems of late, horse one went and royally "did" his suspensory and off til new year, horse two has just had his spavins treated and xrayed and still appears to have back pain so hacking only really.

I have two stables at home. a ten acre paddock split for me to use and a flat paddock for schooling in, in the summer only as SO wet in winter. The ground is wet clay so wet, muddy legs are the norm. Absolutely NO road hacking anywhere as on a main road but 300 acres of empty fields to ride around although very wet and boggy.

On the plus side, if they were at home, I would have more time to enjoy them but it feels like I would be going backwards as they are kept in such luxury at the moment and would be going back to wooden stables in my little yard (or am I being a snob)
There is a fantastic equestrian centre only 5 mins from home and have a trailer and lorry so could box up for lessons and schooling when his back is better.
Any advice very gratefully received. Thank you

CBAnglo

Visit site
No contest; home. The one with the suspensory will need small paddock turnout etc which you can do. The other just hack it during the day when you can fit it in. If the susp one comes sound etc find a new yard next year otherwise just box to the equestrian centre.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It's a no brainer home home home .
Honestly horses don't care if the stables are wooden or palatial it's the care they get that they value .
Take your horses home ,box up now and again for different hacking .

SusieT

Visit site
without a doubt I'd bring them home and let them have a light winder especially when you can't ride much due to injury anyway

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Another vote for home here. You will find that you get to know them so much better when you get to watch them all the time, it may reduce the amount of work you get done elsewhere thought :D

Zipzop

Visit site
I have been on my private, just me and the owners, yard for a year. The property has been on and off the market, for sale, for most of the time. My advice is to not panic yet. They are now taking it off the market til next spring but have had no interest even though it's lovely.

I wouldn't do anything until it's actually all in writing and a date has been set. Your set up is ideal as you can just move them home when the time comes and then find something more suitable, if you want to, at your leisure. Many people would be envious of this situation and would be at home instead of livery anyway!

soulfull

Visit site
I nearly always vote livery as I love the company. But you are the opposite
I understand about the indoor barn being so much drier and warmer though. I couldn't cope with out door stables anymore
but with the money you would save on livery you could have either a canopy or even a barn built around the stables :)

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I can identify with your situation OP, and associated dilemma. A few years ago I put my traddie cob on working livery, even though I've got my own place with a lovely yard and 13 acres; simply because (a) he had a lot of issues which I didn't have either the experience or the confidence to deal with; (b) I was looking after my mother and just didn't have the time to "sort" him. It was just easier to chuck him at someone else for the duration. I'm happy to say that now, some years on, he's back at home with me and I'm enjoying having him home, along with a lovely little Welsh D mare who came along as a week's "borrow" initially, and ended up staying here!!

As you have your own transport (oohhh, you lucky thing! I'd kill for this, I really would - turning green with envy) I think you'd certainly find it a lot cheaper to keep yours at home, especially as you can transport to a local equestrian centre where you'll still have the feeling of being among other horsey folk for support, and any tuition etc you may feel you need.

As someone else has said though; if yours are settled at livery and there is no pressure, and you are happy with the situation, then I'd leave be until you need to make any changes - tho' it IS lovely to have that wonderful experience of a head looking over your OWN gate............ :)

catkin

Visit site
The biggest advantage with the horses being at home in my eyes is that you can fit the horsey jobs in around whatever else needs doing. you don't get any 'dead-time':- waiting for the horses to eat their feed? no problem, stick the washing on and make some phone calls etc etc etc........

debsflo

Visit site
As they are both recuperating i would opt for home. I think if they were in full work and you needed an arena daily it would help to be on livery but bring them home ,relax over winter and come spring you can get out and about. I have stables and grazing at home but will have a new horse at livery for the winter just because of the facilities but will be time limited as you cant beat having them on the doorstep.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I don't really understand why you ever put them on livery , as you have facilities so nearby. The only thing you will need to be careful about, imo, is the grazing, which may have been overfertiised for horses.

mastermax

Visit site
Thank you so, so much for really informative and helpful replies. Sorry for my late reply, had a busy night in the maternity wing!!! All mums and calves doing well this morning. I guess I had already decided home was for the best for now but its always lovely to hear others opinions.
My husbands horse with his susp lig certainly only needs what we can offer him at home as he has a long road ahead of him and my own horse with spavins has lost most of his summer fitness and now needs quiet, gentle hacking until either the steroids and cartrophen kick in or he fuses.
I have never taken my chap though open fields so it could prove "interesting" as we have a 100 plus head of deer in our bottom fields!!!
Myjodsare2blinkingtight I am also in Devon, not sure where you are but hey, I could always come and get you if you ever wanted to go anywhere?
Thank you again for all your lovely comments