Livery Prices

Charliechalk

Visit site
Hi,
How much would you expect to pay for the following livery

Stable
Individual or group grazing
Hay and straw
Feed,rug change, muck out,bring in (mon - fri)
Indoor school
off road hacking
Feed is charged extra

and is this classed as part livery?
Thanks

Batgirl

Visit site
It sounds like 5/2 livery presuming DIY at the weekend.

I pay £75 pw for 5/2 including feed, bedding, haylage, outdoor all weather school, walker, M/O, T/O during the week (rug change if necessary but mine lives in his turn out). No off road hacking which I would pay extra for :)

Syrah

Visit site
It really does vary from area to area. It might be best if you let people know roughly where you are (county).

My yard charges £60 for:

Turn out/bring in
All rug changes
Muck out
Rug/numnah/boots washed (turnouts reproofed too)
Facilities include:
Stable
Horse Walker
Outdoor school with floodlights
Hot wash area
Solarium
Excellent Hacking

Adlib Haylage is £12 per week

1 bale of Nedz Bedz is around £7 per week, although less is used in the lighter months.

Forgot to add the above is called Full Livery around here.

Solo1

Visit site
For £40 we get:

-Ad lib hay/haylage
-Bring in and turn out and rug changes
-All winter turnout rain, shine or snow!
-Summer grazing with option of keeping horses out 24/7 (okay paddocks aren't that big buuut perfect for my fatty)

Facilities are:

-Loong outdoor with mirrors and decent surface (floodlit)
-Proper jumping paddock with course in summer
-Round pen being built
-Trailer parking
-Tea/coffee station
-Locked and alarmed tack room

I think full livery here is £70-80ish? Must say horses are looked after impeccably, full livery includes the occassional school by YO to keep them ticking over. Each horse gets checked over, feet picked out, legs checked. Farrier comes every 2 weeks and is excellent. Can't fault it really.

Cheryl&Donny

New User
Visit site
For Full livery offering little more that what you posted her in cumbria is around £90 (but that includes feed, shavings hay etc.)

Parker79

Visit site
You would be lucky to find that here with an indoor school. 7 day livery is anything from 95 - 130pm round here, not including grooming or exercise. We have a couple of 5 day liveries around who charge 95pw for 5day.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Round here that would start from about £100 pw though it would usually include basic feed.
Indoor schools are quite unusual though and the only livery yards I can think of that do have them are upmarket ones and charging alot more.

Javabb94

Visit site
I have 5 day livery (so full livery but I do weekends)

That's including -
Huge stable
Rugs changed
Hay
Bedding
All year turn out
Secure tack room
Toilet/kitchen
Xc course
Farm ride
20x40 outdoor floodlit with few jumps
40x60 outdoor with full set of jumps
Comps regularly

That's £60 per week cumbria

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Thanks, a friend has been quoted £100 per week in Gloucestershire- thought that was a bit steep!

It's pointless trying to compare what one person pays in one county against anothers livery bill in a totally different area. It would be best for you to phone several local yards & see what they offer & for what price. That way you should have an understanding of prices of livery local to you.

Partoow

Visit site
I find this kind of post so frustrating!
As aYO I'd like to point out some of my costs running a yard and then you tell me if you could provide a service for £70 pw oh and remember this is my living!
Cost of box ( I rent my yard) £35
Business rates per box pw £5
Water £3.50 per box pw
Electricity Inc school lights winter
£7.50 summer £2.50
Insurance (care cust control) £2.50pw
I have 2 staff paid £7.50 an hour
So you tell me how I'm supposed to charge less than £117.50 per week for part livery ?
Bear in mind I have not included any feed or bedding ,waste disposal, paddock maintenance
Or my time!
Yards providing a good service where horses are the priority with caring knowledgeable staff cost.
Those cost do vary where in the country you are but I would quite honestly say running a yard is not going to make anyone a fortune apart from maybe my bank manager!

ihatework

Visit site
Lesleypg, I fully support the sentiment. But am quite gobsmacked you are trying to run a viable business by renting boxes at £35 per week minus water/leccy/maintenance !! Financial suicide?!

topclass

Visit site
Ive just had a girl come to me who is paying £30 just for a stable x 2, he doesnt feed, t/o nothing they have to buy in all there own stuff and then pay for a storage place £15 a month they also pay £5 pw for electricity and £5 pw for water and this is purely DIY? My guys pay £40 which is for stable, t/o, feeding, menage, water, electric, straw, haylage . Jo's paying for 2 horses £295 a month and they have no menage and one 5 acre field for 7 horses!!! I must be the cheaper yard going at £160 a month and offer more for less money I need to out my prices up (not)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Lesleypg, I fully support the sentiment. But am quite gobsmacked you are trying to run a viable business by renting boxes at £35 per week minus water/leccy/maintenance !! Financial suicide?!

A whole yard was let out near me, with small indoor, and 20x40 outdoor schools, plus 30 boxes, and it worked out at £30/box. Bills extra. It is quite common for a decent yard, it seems.

Around us, full livery (or part) is anything from £60pw (scruffy but good yard with outdoor school) to £110pw (nice experienced competition yard and venue with two indoors..) The indoor school bumps the livery up a lot - as it should, as it adds a lot of rates onto the business.. Don't think your friend is getting ripped off at all.

*Maddy&Occhi*

Visit site
It really does vary from area to area. It might be best if you let people know roughly where you are (county).

My yard charges £60 for:

Turn out/bring in
All rug changes
Muck out
Facilities include:
Stable
Horse Walker
Hot wash area
Solarium
Excellent Hacking

1 bale of Nedz Bedz is around £7 per week, although less is used in the lighter months.

:eek::eek::eek: £60 a week, in my area that would be about £120 a week. I live in the south east and the minimum for a bog standard full livery is about £90 a week. If you wanted such as the above, definitley £100+ a week.

I need to move to your area ;)

AngieandBen

Visit site
As aYO I'd like to point out some of my costs running a yard and then you tell me if you could provide a service for £70 pw oh and remember this is my living!
Water £3.50 per box pw
£7.50 summer £2.50
So you tell me how I'm supposed to charge less than £117.50 per week for part livery ?
Bear in mind I have not included any feed or bedding ,waste disposal, paddock maintenance
Or my time!
Yards providing a good service where horses are the priority with caring knowledgeable staff cost.
Those cost do vary where in the country you are but I would quite honestly say running a yard is not going to make anyone a fortune apart from maybe my bank manager!

Exactly why I stopped doing livery, people expect so much for so little, charging £35 a week for part livery is just not worth the effort. I use the field for hay now :)

Luci07

Visit site
See I am in Surrey and pay more than that and my yard is not one of the more expensive yards in the area. You have to look at where the yard is based as you cannot do a uk comparison. My friend moved down to Kent and pays around £150 less a month for the same services..,basic costs are much higher in the southeast.

And with one exception, I have never met a wealthy yard owner!!!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Water £3.50 per box pw
£7.50 summer £2.50
Or my time!

I don't think anyone is complaining about prices they are just discussing what they can reasonably expect for a certain price. And I agree with you I can't work out how anyone makes a living from it :eek:

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site

My yard charges £60 for:

Turn out/bring in
All rug changes
Muck out
Facilities include:
Stable
Horse Walker
Hot wash area
Solarium
Excellent Hacking

But if it does not include feed and bed then it's not £60.

£12 for haylage
Then bedding:- when I was on shavings I was using 4 bales a week so £28, about the same of straw at £4.50 a bale.
Then feed on top - I don't feed much hard feed so £5 a week.

So £60 becomes £95 to £105 if you have a big, greedy dirty horse like I do.

What I alway ask for with all in prices is how much is included as some yards say it's an all in price and then ration; so I always prefer to check before exactly what is included and warn potential yards of how dirty my horse is.

Last edited:

Starzaan

Visit site
I run a livery yard, and I wouldn't class that as part livery. That is bespoke livery, assuming that the owner would like to have the horse on DIY at the weekends.

I charge £110 a week for part livery, which includes all day to day care of the horse seven days a week, all bedding, feed and hay/haylage, tack cleaning twice a week, turnout all year round, stunning courtyard boxes with automatic waterers on a private country estate down a mile long private drive, 6000 acres of off road hacking, 50m x 30m outdoor school, 60m x 40m grass school/jumping paddock, wash box with hot and cold water and solarium, I live on site, and all stabled horses are skipped out and hayed and watered again at 11pm every night. Basically, everything except riding.

Bespoke livery would be £80 per week with the owner doing their own horse at the weekend.

I charge £150 a week for full livery which is all of the above plus exercising the horse six days a week, and owners are handed a fully tacked up horse when they arrive, and can hand it back when they've ridden.