Livery/ producing : What do you charge?

fabregas

Visit site
Can you help me. I am an amateur event rider and have a new horse in to produce and event for a client. Client is very generous, and so I want to be professional and fair.
How much do you charge for : full livery, exercise 6 days a week, I take her to XC schooling, SJ training etc so these would be once a week on average. I compete her once a week at either ODE, UA dressage or SJ.
Entry fees are paid for.
Diesel can be shared as I usually have one of my own horses too.

Ideas... gratefully received. :)

SpottedCat

Visit site
I would say in the region of £130/week to include bedding and forage but not hard feed, farriery, worming, clipping etc. general tidying in terms of trimming would be included. All off site training extra - so they pay costs for arena hire, entries and diesel. I'd work out fuel at £1/mile split between the number of horses on board.

For that I'd expect you to be good enough to get placed reasonably regularly on a half decent horse (I.e not one which you've been sent to sort out issues).

Just bear in mind you may need to sort out things like insurance and an operators licence for your lorry because you are effectively doing it commercially.

JandP

Visit site
I would say more in the region of £160-200 per week.

I pay £120 for everything apart from riding. Dependant on the type of exercise, it is £5-15 per day extra. I'm more than happy to pay that safe in the knowledge my horse is being well cared for, and if exercised, it is being done properly.

tiggs

Visit site
I think it depends where you are, full livery in the south east can be £150 without exercise and competition livery is nearer £200. I would find out what the normal rate for livery is in your area then add on about £50 for exercise. If you are just starting up you might want to charge less

popsdosh

Visit site

I pay £120 for everything apart from riding. Dependant on the type of exercise, it is £5-15 per day extra. I'm more than happy to pay that safe in the knowledge my horse is being well cared for, and if exercised, it is being done properly.
Why pay that when you can get a good pro for less!!!!Its a buyers market at the moment the Pros are not exactly bursting at the seems with horses! £100/120 max I would pay with your experience to be blunt.

fabregas

Visit site
I would say in the region of £130/week to include bedding and forage but not hard feed, farriery, worming, clipping etc. general tidying in terms of trimming would be included. All off site training extra - so they pay costs for arena hire, entries and diesel. I'd work out fuel at £1/mile split between the number of horses on board.

For that I'd expect you to be good enough to get placed reasonably regularly on a half decent horse (I.e not one which you've been sent to sort out issues).

Just bear in mind you may need to sort out things like insurance and an operators licence for your lorry because you are effectively doing it commercially.

Thank you, that is helpful. And I will look into insurance etc. Great advice. :)

fabregas

Visit site

Thank you, that is interesting. Are you at a professional yard? What area? If you don't mind me asking :)

fabregas

Visit site
I think it depends where you are, full livery in the south east can be £150 without exercise and competition livery is nearer £200. I would find out what the normal rate for livery is in your area then add on about £50 for exercise. If you are just starting up you might want to charge less

Yes I am just starting up, and this is a young horse that the owner is rather reluctant to ride until she is quieter. She can be feisty! but very talented and I love riding her.

I think I should charge less, as I am young. Thank you :)

fabregas

Visit site
Why pay that when you can get a good pro for less!!!!Its a buyers market at the moment the Pros are not exactly bursting at the seems with horses! £100/120 max I would pay with your experience to be blunt.

It's fine to be blunt, I am used to it in the horsey world, and accept your point. Whilst I cannot afford to be out of pocket, I need cover costs at least. As I was thinking £80 per week, I am encouraged by your post. Thank you. :)

dominobrown

Visit site
IMO I would be wary of sending a horse to people who are way too cheap, as there is no way you can do it properly, unless you take short cuts, such as really cheap feed, bad quality hay etc etc.
To be blunt as well, I think some people don't care where their horse goes as long as it is cheap, and it is no longer their problem, then post on here moaning how badly looked after it was when it was sent away etc etc, when they should of twigged on that for that price things wouldn't be done properly!
I would say £100 min :)

Tiffany

Visit site
£80 per week for full livery, exercising/working 6 days a week including hard feed and forage is not enough.

If you include everything I'd expect in full livery I would think about £140 per week.

fabregas

Visit site
IMO I would be wary of sending a horse to people who are way too cheap, as there is no way you can do it properly, unless you take short cuts, such as really cheap feed, bad quality hay etc etc.
To be blunt as well, I think some people don't care where their horse goes as long as it is cheap, and it is no longer their problem, then post on here moaning how badly looked after it was when it was sent away etc etc, when they should of twigged on that for that price things wouldn't be done properly!
I would say £100 min :)

Thank you. I have the best quality bedding (sponsored) and local produced haylage that is second to none! Good facilities at home, stabling, grazing, own menage. Lovely educational hacking too. Great trainers, too. But I only have a couple of rides (my own). Both ex-racers, one just to Int level, to be established, so not much to shout about!

£100 sounds comfortable. :)

fabregas

Visit site
£80 per week for full livery, exercising/working 6 days a week including hard feed and forage is not enough.

If you include everything I'd expect in full livery I would think about £140 per week.

Thank you... It's so hard! I am trying to build up, so don't want to scare clients off, but don't want to be too cheap.
Argh!!!!!!

anna22

Visit site
I think somewhere nearer the £120 mark, full livery near me (south cheshire) is anything from £80-120. So adding in extra for exercising as well, and addition training costs for clinics/lessons...

dominobrown

Visit site
Thank you. I have the best quality bedding (sponsored) and local produced haylage that is second to none! Good facilities at home, stabling, grazing, own menage. Lovely educational hacking too. Great trainers, too. But I only have a couple of rides (my own). Both ex-racers, one just to Int level, to be established, so not much to shout about!

£100 sounds comfortable. :)

Well it sounds as though you should charge what you are worth, which would be more than £80 a week, otherwise you will get people taking you for a ride.
I have learnt the hard way (!) that is better to have owners who respect you, and even better, pay you, than just trying to get as many owners/ clients as possible!

JandP

Visit site
Crikey, with the cost of feed and bedding as it is, I don't think you could cover your costs at some of the prices suggested, and pay yourself a living wage.

I am in The Cotswolds - so it is a more expensive area.