Livery stables and hacking facilities around Musselburgh?

nivelan

New User
Visit site
My girlfriend, her two horses and myself are keen to move from Manchester to the Edinburgh area in the summer of 2007. As I can't seem to find any information on the area despite my googling skills, I am wondering if anyone knows anything about livery stables near Musselburgh, Dalkeith, or Southern Edinburgh. Could you provide me with links, e-mails, phone numbers, or just stories? Please contact me.

Twiglet

Visit site
I have friends in North Berwick, which is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been (I'm sure!).

Don't know how horsey it is, but boy would I love to ride along those beaches.

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
Can't help but just wanted to say I was born in Mussleburgh - used to live directly opposite the racecourse
grin.gif

Tia

Visit site
Hacking in Musselburgh is wonderful! The beach is fantastic and I don't know if you are allowed these days, but I used to take my ponies on the racetrack which was fantastic. There are literally tonnes and tonnes of trails and bridleways surrounding Musselburgh - some really lovely ones down by the river where is is smaller (I guess it must be a tributary or suchlike).

There is a boarding stables in Craighall I think. Google the area and see what you come up with.

Dalkeith has good riding too. Melville Castle is close by - this was my old stomping grounds so to speak!
smile.gif
You can (or could) ride in the Duke of Buccleugh's grounds, tonnes and tonnes of rides up by Lasswade, Bonnyrigg and Dalhousie.

Roslin Glen is a fantastic place to ride; used to love going to the old gunpowder caves there.

Around Loanhead and onto the Pentland Hills are lovely. God I could go on and on about the fabulous riding up there. What a heck of a place to have a horse.

hussar

Visit site
Try Pentland House livery (constance@pentlandhouse.com) which is just south of Edinburgh. Or there's Edinburgh Equestrian Centre in Dalkeith. If you can get hold of the Scottish edition of the November issue of EquiAds you'll find two pages of livery yard ads in the area.

Tia's right - the riding is lovely round there - payrides have been set up too and you can get onto the beach at Gullane and Dunbar.