livery yard fencing regulations?

marion95

Visit site
Does anyone know if there are any regulations regarding the fencing that livery yards use?

The last two yards I've been at have both had some barbed wire fencing and before I moved yards I went to look at about 5 others all of which had it too, bar one which was used primarily for show ponies, but completely unsuitable in every other way.

My mare has just cut both her back legs really badly on barbed wire in the field and it makes me really angry that yards can get away with charging all that money and not have safe, suitable fencing.

I hate having to turn her out knowing there's barbed wire in the field, but really have no option as my dream of my own land with post and rail fencing is still a long way off!

IMO it really should be made compulsory for barbed wire to be prohibited in livery yards...

tigers_eye

Visit site
In mine too! So many yards have it round here. I don't think your YO/YM is liable for your mare's injury, but if she were to break out due to insufficient fencing and cause an accident the YO/YM would be liable. There are some lawyerly types on here who might be able to give you a more in-depth view of the matter! Sorry about your mare, hope she makes a good recovery.

marion95

Visit site
Thanks.

I'm not really thinking about them being legally liable. It's more that I just think it is generally wrong that there aren't more stringent regulations for livery yards when there are so many safety laws etc for most other kinds of businesses.

barkinghorse

Visit site
I agree, but not only on the barb wire issues.
I think that having an accident prone horse (as i have) makes me look at the potential hazards on livery yards, and not just on mine.
Machinery left out
piles of wood with nails in scattered around
blind corners
poor yard sufaces
sharp edges
unsecure gates
low over hangs
I pay a lot of money out for these things and more, to be hazards to my horse......
And this is a good yard in my area
Jo

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Unfortunately, I don't think there is any legislation relating to the type of fencing.

I did look in to this a while ago as I was having problems at my yard. The YO had put stock fencing (large square hole, wire netting) over the post and rail, "to stop the horses putting their heads through". Ugh.

Finni ripped his face open and took a shoe off (I found it hanging on the fence!).

As the yard is BHS approved I looked in to their regs, but didn't get anywhere.

Eventually, after lots of diplomatic meetings with YO, they agreed to put electric fencing on the top rail (it juts out on long poles from the rail so keeps them away from fence). This seems to have stopped the problem.

How large is the field and how approachable are the YOs? Perhaps if you point out the injuries your horse has from the fencing they may agree that something has to be changed.

Could you perhaps double fence with elelctric tape to keep them away from the barbed wire.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
At my previous yard there was barbed wire, which was in good order, so no problem re: horse escaping, but my mare took to running along it and ripping her rugs. However YO was happy for me to double fence with electic, which solved the problem (cost a bit for fencing/plastic posts/energizer and battery, but less than replacing loads of rugs & vet bills in the long run).

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
shocked.gif
The worst livey yard I was on (I was only a sharer) the YO thought it was acceptable for horses to stand on a bank and lean over sheep netting and barbed wire to drink from the trough in the neighbouring field!!!
shocked.gif
OMG

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
My previous yard was rylock and barbed wire fencing. TBH the only damage to the horses was the ocassional ripped rug in the winter where the horse had leaned over the top to get to the grass on the other side.

However, owners who were concerned clubbed together and bought electric fencing and put it up. The YO was more than happy for people to do this.

In an ideal world all fencing would be post and rail - or natural hedge. However, realistically most yards can't afford to lay out the kind of expenditure that post and rail would entail.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
One of my previous yards was horrendus, and they put both stock wire and barbed wire up. Being young I didnt put two and two together until pony got himself stuck behing the fencing, panicked and ripped his flanks.
there isnt any legalisation on this. There isnt a body you can go to re livery yards (unless they're BHS). What yard you use is up to you. You could try your local council, though i don't know how far you'd get.
I think there should be some sort of body which regulates livery yards, but then it would drive many livery yards out of buisness and drive costs up. it's a no win situation.

allijudd

Visit site
we have had a probelm with barbed wire which the majority of we have removed...(we still find some occassinallybut are getting there!)

there is no legislation about fencing...all our liveries know to ask if tehre is something that they want...we have cornish hedges which have all been rebuilt this year and on the weaker areas (ie where they keep climbing over!) electric fencing....