Livery yard for horse prone to laminitis?

ponyparty

Visit site
I really really REALLY don't want to move yards as I love where I am currently, but my horse is only going out for 1.5-2 hours per day in a muzzle and although he's lost weight, he's gone a bit cresty again. I'm doing everything I can to manage the situation without him being on box rest just to avoid the grass. It's an old dairy farm so the grass is super rich, I'm fighting a losing battle :( I can see this is going to be a constant source of worry for me except for in the depths of winter when the grass is rubbish.

I am going to ask yard owner about putting up a track system, but I don't see how it'll be feasible to be honest. He doesn't have his own dedicated paddock, as those that are out overnight share with those out during the day and the paddock he's in at the moment is the one that all the horses have to be led through to get to/from the fields.

So, does anyone know of a yard close to south Birmingham (Wythall/Earlswood/Ullenhall and surrounding areas) that has either dry lots/woodchip or other surfaced turnout, no grass/limited grass?

I do not want a "laminitic paddock" that is riddled with ragwort and acorns, as I have seen at some places!
I do not want herd turnout - he'd probably need to be on his own or with up to 2 others if introduced VERY carefully.
I need an arena as need to be able to exercise him to rehab from kissing spines.
I'd prefer part livery (Monday-Friday) and am having a baby in November so may need additional support around this time.
A track system would be ideal but aware this setup on a livery yard is about as common as hens teeth.

All suggestions welcome.

sandy3924

Visit site
Hi. I understand and sympathise as I have a laminitic. Does your horse stay out on his own or does he always need another horse for company?

ponyparty

Visit site
Hi sandy - he is out with one mare at the moment but he's mainly been on individual turnout as he can be a grumpy so-and-so! He does need to be able to see other horses though.

However, I have found somewhere! A little yard with grass turnout in the summer, but the option for them to go on hardstanding pens instead (so he could have some time on grass and then be moved to hard standing, limiting intake whilst still being able to see and interact [over the fence] with other horses and move around freely).

In winter they put woodchip down on all the hard standing pens and they just go out on those - no mud, no mud fever!

Not that my boy is ridden at the moment, but when he does come back into work there is a 10 acre field to ride in over summer and a bridleway directly off the property. There is also a lovely school with a carpet and silica sand surface, and the stables are nice and well maintained.

Gutted to be leaving my current yard but if my horse can lead a slightly more natural life and not be cooped up in a stable 22 hours per day it's got to be worth it!

sandy3924

Visit site
Hi. That's fabulous news. I only asked as my YO has let me put a track around a field for my laminitic and we are based on the Wythall border. The track system, I think, is the way forward for laminitics/metabolic issues/EMS/IR as grass intake can be regulated and closely monitered but the horse has to move more to get to water etc. thus increasing movement which is so useful for keeping their weight down. Good luck, I hope you have a content, happy and healthy horse.

ponyparty

Visit site
Hi. That's fabulous news. I only asked as my YO has let me put a track around a field for my laminitic and we are based on the Wythall border. The track system, I think, is the way forward for laminitics/metabolic issues/EMS/IR as grass intake can be regulated and closely monitered but the horse has to move more to get to water etc. thus increasing movement which is so useful for keeping their weight down. Good luck, I hope you have a content, happy and healthy horse.

That is interesting! My friend is on a yard that has also had a track system put up, also in Wythall. Wonder if it's the same one?! Unfortunately, the school is not level at her yard - something which I don't want to risk lunging a horse who is rehabbing from kissing spines and potentially a hind leg problem on. I would prefer a track system in all honesty, to encourage movement, rather than a hard standing pen; but even that got to be better than lush ex-dairy farm grazing and being cooped up in his stable most of the time :(

Thank you - and the same to you, with your horse!