Livery yard issues am just been grumpy or should I say something to the YO

Mary3050

Visit site
Nothing to do.with your problem which sounds unfixable but the nosey side of me is wondering how much it costs to keep nine horses at your yard ?

I haven’t got a clue. I am also noisy and when my niece meet them she went how does she afford that lot . What she says she does for a job could actually cover the cost but she always there on the yard so I don’t see how she actually works . My niece thinks the business she says she has is a front ?

Mary3050

Visit site
How long has this person been at the yard OP? Do you/yard owner know the history? Sounds exactly the type to do a moonlight flit owing money in the not too distant future. Hopefully not but may be worth you riding it out for a period to wait and see, if you can possibly bear it. May be worth asking the YO what they know, just as part of your discussion.

The first two arrived in November she was okay when she first came. Then the ponies arrived from a yard/riding school place think they had been there a while . Then the new horses she buys keep arriving . She sold on that originally arrived ?

Velcrobum

Visit site
As others have suggested speak to the yard owner explain that your property is being moved/used. Ask that some form of booking system is implemented for the arena so that all liveries have equal opportunities to use. Highlight the safety aspect of the children's activities etc etc. If this yard is important for your requirements you can either speak to the YO or put up with selfish behaviour. I would regardless padlock everything and anything that can move, label everything very clearly so easy to identify.

Winters100

Visit site
I would definitely talk to YO. I disagree with those who say don't compromise, I think you may have to if you want to stay at the yard, since the YO has clearly made a decision to allow children and all that this entails.

I would say however that this lady is never going to be the only client, and as such YO has an incentive to make things acceptable for their other clients. Several of us on the yard where I am have more than 1 horse, but of course we are still expected to abide by the rules and show consideration to others. I do not take my children to the yard, but as with your yard children are permitted, so I do compromise in respect of a bit of noise and play from the children of other owners, obviously within reason, but actually I think it is quite good for my horses as they need to tolerate all sorts when we compete.

I would imagine if YO has a word regarding your belongings being moved, and general supervision, it might do the trick. Jumps would depend upon rules of the yard. Our yard is not a jumping yard, although there a a few who do, and the rule is clear that it is only with acceptance of all in the arena. Other yards I know have different rules.

Nothing to lose in trying to sort it out, and if this fails look for somewhere else. I do hope that you find a solution, as it sounds pretty miserable as it is.

neddy man

Visit site
Look on her Facebook page see if it shows where she was before then make further enquiries so you have any bad info for the yard owner, but be cautious how you tell her ( maybe if it's bad have an anonymous person ring the YO and tip them of how bad they are and the YO may ask her to leave) it may be a little difficult to find a yard to take on your 4 horses so tread very very carefully. As previously said the other liveries all need to be in harmony when complaining and do it together not individually as some will get cold feet. Sadly it seems you may have to move yards so keep quiet while looking as others on the yard may be doing the same. Hope it's a happy outcome for you.

mariew

Visit site
I'd move, the only way the situation would improve is if she went so that depends if you want to approach the yo and whether you think they would throw them off.

The Irish Draft 2022

Visit site
Op I think the only way to get around this is to leave because if this livery has 9 horses they aren’t going to kick them out and yard owner is getting big money and only dealing with on person. You know the yard owner will agree with this person for obvious reason. Also the yard owner isn’t stupid they probably now what’s going on they are just turning a blind eye. How someone afford 9 horses on livery yard.

PaulineW

Visit site
I used to have a horse on livery at a place in Dundee. One of the livery’s had 10 horses. All stabled and on huge deep beds. Spent her days mucking them out. She could have financed her own yard..

OP, can you ask on the group chat if a general meeting can be held with the YO and all liveries, and set an agenda? Give everyone an idea of what is to be discussed so they can prepare.

chocolategirl

Visit site
Hi Guys,

So I am unsure if I need to be less grumpy and just get used to it . I really like the yard I am with my ridden gang . Until this one person can onto the yard at first it wasn’t to bad but now it’s starting to be irritating. I find I am avoiding riding at set time due to it .

So this women moved onto our yard at first it was just two horse . But I was aware more were coming . Now she has 8 on the yard with another one arriving this week . She also has 5 kids . So 4 horse are kids ponies . Since the ponies have arrived there are always kids running around playing shouting. My stuff is always going missing ie I leave stuff in the tack room it goes missing never happens previously. I found the kids using my hass brushes after they had been missing a week . When I asked where they got them as they are kept away in a grooming box for competitions with my name on . They said they found them on the floor which isn’t possible . Stuff is always missing whips, sponges, cloths, brushes etc

She doesn’t keep an eye on them when they are riding two are Particularly whizzy and gallops up behind you, rides at you the works .

My tack and equipment keeps getting moved in the tack room and store room as she “need” more space. My jump saddle was left on the floor taken off it’s saddle rack . When I asked why it has been moved the grooms said she did it . So I asked her why she said because I don’t use it so should take it home . I have 3 horses on the yard and have 4 saddle racks . May people have 1 horse and two saddle racks . I use the saddle once or twice a week.

The equines are as bad as the kids . One pony is constantly shouting , badly behaved in the school ie usually everyone rides together she has 2 that are nuts she doesn’t want you in the ring with meaning I get ready to ride and can’t ride. Then one is near the school and gallops up and down. To get my horse out of the field I have to walk through one of hers which I can’t do as it charges and paces at the gate. Then another is out near one of mine the grooms keep bringing him in early when asked why they said well the horse next to it doesn’t like been in on its own and it’s owners coming to ride it .

She seems to think she owns the yard now . Like the other day my friend arrived to practice my dressage test with me . I started warming up . She walked in and said my kids want to jump so can you hurry up . I explained I would be at least 30 minutes I had been in 5 minutes . So she started putting up jumps when I asked her to wait she said she didn’t have time . I said okay but could you not put them on the centre line so I can get down she then proceeded to put bounces up on the centre line .

This had to someone else on the yard the horse is spooky she asked then to wait until she got off to put jumps up and they didn’t the horse took off with its rider and they still didn’t stop . Since she put in the group chat if people want to get jumps / poles out please pop it in the group chat . She has ignored this and continued to do as she pleases .

Should i tell my yard own I have now had enough of the situation and am concerned for my safety too . Or do you think they will not do anything. Since she’s arrived a couple of long standing livery's have gone . My friend left as she said she was fed up of the kids in the school . It’s a meant to be a professional yard ?
As a YO, I’m absolutely astonished yours would want someone with so many horses on their yard! I have a limit of 2 per client. Your yard sounds dreadful, sorry to be blunt, but I’d be high tailing it out of there as fast as I could?

Lois Lame

Visit site
Sounds an absolute nightmare and my idea of hell. Got to wonder if she has ever done a flit without paying from previous yards as 9 must cost a fortune each month. If I was a YO I wouldn’t have somebody with that many horses, it’s too much of a risk if they stop paying.

Interesting thought, because a person like this probably has no morals. She reminds me of a woman who was at my local paddock and did whatever she wanted. Awful creature. Also tricked her ex husband so she could claim the house.

My thought is, if you retaliate in any way (taking down jumps) she'll only put it up a notch. You can't win with that sort.

Winters100

Visit site
I haven’t got a clue. I am also noisy and when my niece meet them she went how does she afford that lot . What she says she does for a job could actually cover the cost but she always there on the yard so I don’t see how she actually works . My niece thinks the business she says she has is a front ?

Sorry to sound critical, but I do not really like this sort of speculation about the private life of others. If the only reason for thinking that her business is a 'front' is that she keeps 9 horses and is frequently present at the yard then it seems rather weak. It is always surprising to me that people will comment on the cost of keeping animals, but they would not bat an eyelid about going to expensive restaurants or changing cars frequently. Do you not think that there are several much more likely scenarios, such as that her business is mature and no longer requires so much daily input from the owner, or that she rises early and works early mornings and late nights?

Bernster

Visit site
Blimey, I’m getting annoyed just reading your post! I’d be looking for new yards too but in the meantime seeing if others feel the same (must be) and raising politely but firmly with yo. With that many horses yo might side with them but if they are going to lose lots of other liveries you might have a chance.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
It sounds like an awful situation for you. I think the only thing you can do is share all your concerns with the YO. It is possible that the YO may not be happy with this livery already but there is no way of knowing until you have that conversation. you can then decide next steps and whether you need to think of leaving. It won’t be an easy conversation but the YO needs to know that this person is going to affect their business. I doubt it will be long before everyone in the area avoids as ‘there’s that awful woman with her feral kids’ at this yard.

maisie06

Visit site
Hi Guys,

So I am unsure if I need to be less grumpy and just get used to it . I really like the yard I am with my ridden gang . Until this one person can onto the yard at first it wasn’t to bad but now it’s starting to be irritating. I find I am avoiding riding at set time due to it .

So this women moved onto our yard at first it was just two horse . But I was aware more were coming . Now she has 8 on the yard with another one arriving this week . She also has 5 kids . So 4 horse are kids ponies . Since the ponies have arrived there are always kids running around playing shouting. My stuff is always going missing ie I leave stuff in the tack room it goes missing never happens previously. I found the kids using my hass brushes after they had been missing a week . When I asked where they got them as they are kept away in a grooming box for competitions with my name on . They said they found them on the floor which isn’t possible . Stuff is always missing whips, sponges, cloths, brushes etc

She doesn’t keep an eye on them when they are riding two are Particularly whizzy and gallops up behind you, rides at you the works .

My tack and equipment keeps getting moved in the tack room and store room as she “need” more space. My jump saddle was left on the floor taken off it’s saddle rack . When I asked why it has been moved the grooms said she did it . So I asked her why she said because I don’t use it so should take it home . I have 3 horses on the yard and have 4 saddle racks . May people have 1 horse and two saddle racks . I use the saddle once or twice a week.

The equines are as bad as the kids . One pony is constantly shouting , badly behaved in the school ie usually everyone rides together she has 2 that are nuts she doesn’t want you in the ring with meaning I get ready to ride and can’t ride. Then one is near the school and gallops up and down. To get my horse out of the field I have to walk through one of hers which I can’t do as it charges and paces at the gate. Then another is out near one of mine the grooms keep bringing him in early when asked why they said well the horse next to it doesn’t like been in on its own and it’s owners coming to ride it .

She seems to think she owns the yard now . Like the other day my friend arrived to practice my dressage test with me . I started warming up . She walked in and said my kids want to jump so can you hurry up . I explained I would be at least 30 minutes I had been in 5 minutes . So she started putting up jumps when I asked her to wait she said she didn’t have time . I said okay but could you not put them on the centre line so I can get down she then proceeded to put bounces up on the centre line .

This had to someone else on the yard the horse is spooky she asked then to wait until she got off to put jumps up and they didn’t the horse took off with its rider and they still didn’t stop . Since she put in the group chat if people want to get jumps / poles out please pop it in the group chat . She has ignored this and continued to do as she pleases .

Should i tell my yard own I have now had enough of the situation and am concerned for my safety too . Or do you think they will not do anything. Since she’s arrived a couple of long standing livery's have gone . My friend left as she said she was fed up of the kids in the school . It’s a meant to be a professional yard ?

I would leave - stating the reason why, IMHO the yard owner is more likely to try and keep her with 8 happy than someone with 2 or 3, Got to say if I had a yard I wouldn't rent to someone with 8 unless I was renting a sole use yard, causes too many issues in the long term.

Widgeon

Visit site
i would also raise with the YO. Saying this woman's 8 horses is worth more than the OPs 4 is one way of looking at it... the other is that the woman with 8 might leave and take a huge amount of business at once, and in the meantime is driving away other long term clients..

Exactly. If your YO is not intelligent enough to see this or manage the situation then I would suggest you consider moving.

However - are this family known for being serial yard hoppers? Might be worth asking around. If yes, then it might be worth gritting your teeth and waiting for them to flounce.

Sorry you're having to deal with this, it sounds like a nightmare.

ETA - yes, this....

Got to wonder if she has ever done a flit without paying from previous yards as 9 must cost a fortune each month. If I was a YO I wouldn’t have somebody with that many horses, it’s too much of a risk if they stop paying.

ThreeFurs

Visit site
Phew! makes me relieved my YO [or in Australian, 'agistment property owner'] won't agist to anyone under 18 or have anyone on the property under that age ride. My YO made that decision due to OPs issues as she's described them, [4 demon kids, 8 demon ponies +plus 1 entitled narcissistic personality disorder mum] and public indemnity issues viz accidents in under 18s not being fully covered by Equestrian Australia's insurance.

But hey look, what, with Covid, Brexit, the Ukranian war, rise of autocracys, climate change, looming recession, interest rises ... the sense of living 'in the autumn of things' ... one's horses are one's happy place, God knows we spend enough on them. So make that place truly happy. I would be leaving.

I mean, if you need to use your highly developed WORK place people management skills for your 'horse place', that's a sign things are going to shit. Yes whereever there is a group of humans, there is conflict, but on sensible yards its usually minimal, and dealt with by negotiation.

Last edited:

Lyle

Visit site
If it's the best livery in your area, I'd be inclined to stick it out, after having an adult discussion with your yard owner and bringing forward some ideas to make the use of facilities more fair for everyone.
As mentioned above, some form of booking system for arena use, for specific things such as lessons, jumping or dressage test practices.
Jumping on specific days (usually consecutive so jumps don't have to be put up/down all the time) leaving arena free on alternatives.
Labelled saddle racks/specific tack areas.
And a hearty discussion about the respectful nature in which all must conduct themselves whilst at the yard.
If nothing improves, then I fear you may need to find alternative livery.