Livery yard issues am just been grumpy or should I say something to the YO

moosea

Visit site
I can understand why op would be wondering about the money. Since no legit job would would make you able to afford 7 thousand a month on horses . It sounds to me like someone abusing the benefit system . It annoys me so much people who abuse benefits system just so they can have a horse ( that clearly doesn’t have a disability just won’t work) because it’s takes away from people who generally need it

I used to know someone who made £8-10k per month playing online games.

Visit site
You could try talking to YO but as others have said they are unlikely to get rid of her because she has a lot of horses and it’s a huge chunk of money to lose but a good YO would have a chat with her about what is she isn’t acceptable. It sounds horrendous - I’m not sure I would have kept my cool as well as you if somebody was interrupting my schooling session and not listening… ?

moosea

Visit site
Bloody hell send me a link to those games!

They played whats known as a massive multiplayer online (MMO) game - usually over 1million active players.

Probably a popular streamer, it's pretty intense/full time, probably wouldn't have time for a horse!

You tube videos - two or three a week, involving lots of organising, lots of editing and sound countrol. I doubt the guy had time to eat let alone own a horse!!
Think he was making that sort of money for a couple of years then faded into the background.

Just for those who don't game - minecraft has around 141 million registered users.

Winters100

Visit site
I can understand why op would be wondering about the money. Since no legit job would would make you able to afford 7 thousand a month on horses . It sounds to me like someone abusing the benefit system . It annoys me so much people who abuse benefits system just so they can have a horse ( that clearly doesn’t have a disability just won’t work) because it’s takes away from people who generally need it

I find this really disturbing. This lady has now gone from being an inconsiderate fellow livery to someone defrauding the government via the benefits system? This is absurd. I know plenty of people who can and do spend these sorts of sums on their hobbies, or are you saying that everyone who owns that number of horses is fraudulent? You would in this case also need to assume that any family with more than 1 child at boarding school is committing benefit fraud, since these costs are roughly the same as having 2 children away at school.

I think it is also worth remembering that, although this forum is anonymous, it is not impossible for someone who knew the yard to recognize the situation, and to look at OPs previous posts, perhaps about health or training issues, to make a good guess at who this is about. I would imagine that if this was to be brought to the attention of the lady concerned that she would be absolutely livid, and would then be the one complaining to YO.

LegOn

Visit site
I feel very lucky that at my current yard my YO actually is really particular about the atmosphere and how happy the liveries are aswell as the horses, we have been lucky enough but there was 2 people she removed, one was staff and one was a livery and I was delighted at both! However I have been on yards where someone has multiple horses and the money the YO is getting does have an effect of them wanting to get involved or remove them - those YO's just saw it as less people to deal and bills paid so what was the problem.

Unfortunately, you have to make this the YO's problem but I have a feeling that if they havent done anything so far and people have already left, then they might not be willing to do anything regardless of what you say. However, I would go down a polite but VERY firm road along these lines;

'I understand X and all her stuff and horses are now on the yard and they require space, as do the rest of us. However, IF I find that she moves or touches my things once more, I am going to hold YOU personally responsible for any damage and ALSO if there is any issue where me or my horse is injured, spooked or I fall - again I am putting YOU on notice that I have informed you of this problem and if you CHOOSE not to take any action to ensure everyone's safety on the yard, then I will also be holding you personally responsible and you will be subject to the consequences. So while it might suit you to have someone on the yard with this many horses and kids, if anything happens that causes me any further issues, I'm having it said that you were well aware and choose not to address so therefore as the owner of the yard, you will be held accountable, and I would prefer you didn't test the theory.'

If she chooses to continue to let this woman run( ruin) her yard, then I would be seriously looking to leave. And again might be no harm to tell her that the reputation of the yard is also now going down the drain because the people that have already left arent happy and if you leave you wont be hiding the real reason you left either. Might make her think twice!

Winters100

Visit site
[QUOTE="LegOn, post: 14920604, member: 76357";

'I understand X and all her stuff and horses are now on the yard and they require space, as do the rest of us. However, IF I find that she moves or touches my things once more, I am going to hold YOU personally responsible for any damage and ALSO if there is any issue where me or my horse is injured, spooked or I fall - again I am putting YOU on notice that I have informed you of this problem and if you CHOOSE not to take any action to ensure everyone's safety on the yard, then I will also be holding you personally responsible and you will be subject to the consequences. So while it might suit you to have someone on the yard with this many horses and kids, if anything happens that causes me any further issues, I'm having it said that you were well aware and choose not to address so therefore as the owner of the yard, you will be held accountable, and I would prefer you didn't test the theory.'

[/QUOTE]

I think if anyone said this to any YO they would find themselves receiving notice to leave immediately, and might face having to move the horses far away if places at an alternative local livery could not be found in time.

Arzada

Visit site

I can see that approach going one way only. OP given notice to leave.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[QUOTE="LegOn, post: 14920604, member: 76357";

I think if anyone said this to any YO they would find themselves receiving notice to leave immediately, and might face having to move the horses far away if places at an alternative local livery could not be found in time.[/QUOTE]

Agree with you Winters100.
In what world is it acceptable to send such a RUDE message to the YO? And does anyone believe that people respond well to a bullying and aggressive tone like that?
Poor advice, Legon.

LegOn

Visit site
I agree its not a a nice approach but why is someone else allowed to get away with poor behaviour and nothing is said and no one is taking responsibility. Also I would never send anything as a message, I would always talk to out face to face with people and let them see how upsetting and distressing it was. I agree you would have to be prepared to walk or giving marching orders but why is the other person also to have no consideration for anyone else and they arent given their marching orders either.

Would you be happy if your tack was thrown on the ground by another livery? I certainly wouldnt be and I would be bringing it to the YO! Never mind all the rest of the stuff!

Winters100

Visit site
Would you be happy if your tack was thrown on the ground by another livery? I certainly wouldnt be and I would be bringing it to the YO! Never mind all the rest of the stuff!

But no one here has said that OP should be happy about the situation, or that she should not discuss it with YO, simply that it should be done in a polite manner. If someone spoke to me in the way that you suggest I would simply form an opinion that they were an unreasonable person, and this would lead me to be more likely to dismiss any genuine concerns that they may have. I would also have them off the yard ASAP, even if this meant them moving their horses further afield than they would like, because to me it would simply be bullying.

There are many situations in life where we may be 'right', or we may be in a position which is 'unfair', but being right does not always help you, and no one ever said that life was fair!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I feel very lucky that at my current yard my YO actually is really particular about the atmosphere and how happy the liveries are aswell as the horses, we have been lucky enough but there was 2 people she removed, one was staff and one was a livery and I was delighted at both! However I have been on yards where someone has multiple horses and the money the YO is getting does have an effect of them wanting to get involved or remove them - those YO's just saw it as less people to deal and bills paid so what was the problem.

Unfortunately, you have to make this the YO's problem but I have a feeling that if they havent done anything so far and people have already left, then they might not be willing to do anything regardless of what you say. However, I would go down a polite but VERY firm road along these lines;

If she chooses to continue to let this woman run( ruin) her yard, then I would be seriously looking to leave. And again might be no harm to tell her that the reputation of the yard is also now going down the drain because the people that have already left arent happy and if you leave you wont be hiding the real reason you left either. Might make her think twice!

Easier just get and leave because all sending a letter like that will do is get OP served notice .

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Don't be ridiculous - of course this woman isn't getting 7k a month in benefits! And there most certainly are jobs where you would earn that much (and more!) and the OP says that the job this woman claims she does would pay that much.

^^^^ Ohh my!! Well for pity's sake can someone please tell me what these jobs are and where to find them! Could do with a bit of cash, right........

skint1

Visit site
I think a lot depends on how much the OP likes the yard (apart from this situation) and how much it suits her horse, and her life more broadly. If there's nowhere else that ticks the most important boxes, then the OP needs to find a way to work around it. For £1000 a month livery, I'd say in most areas you'd find something good, but perhaps there is a unique aspect to this yard that makes the OP reluctant to leave.

Pippity

Visit site
^^^^ Ohh my!! Well for pity's sake can someone please tell me what these jobs are and where to find them! Could do with a bit of cash, right........

I've just hired a network consultant for a grand a day, working five days a week, on a three year contract. He's a bargain.

IT security is an extremely well-paid field that's desperate for good staff.

Winters100

Visit site

Plenty of such jobs for those with specific education and experience in various fields (IT, Law, Accountancy, Property to name a few). It is also worth noting that if this lady has a partner then they may have 2 high level salaries, which would make this expenditure on horses easily affordable.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
There’s always one on every yard. Luckily, they tend to move on. We ended up not allowed to use the better hose because of her, apparently it wasn’t convenient for her (despite being nowhere near her stables).

On another yard, the owner of multiple horses thought she was in charge and used to message us telling us off for not locking doors even if we hadn’t been near them. She was ‘untouchable’ due to the money she threw at the yo. Total pita, regularly had young clueless sharers crowding into the school and unable to steer.

You can wait it out, OP, but it would drive me nuts. I hated the screaming kids, they were painful. It’s not a relaxing hobby anymore when that’s the situation.

Gingerwitch

Visit site

Anyone who or else's me will get their answer and it most certainly won't be the one they want. Recently one of my companies night shift gave me their notice at the same time, thinking j would pacify them with more money snd promotions. When I confirmed acceptance of their notice they had an almighty shock. When I turned up on the night to run the shift and sent ring leader on garden leave for the duration of their notice thr other two wanted to resind. Neither was allowed to.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Contractors at my work charge about a grand a day.
IT, project management, business/management consultancy kinds of fields.
But this woman doesn't sound like she has enough- well - class to do those kinds of jobs.
Perhaps there's a rich husband in the background ?

Jules111

Visit site
For a short time I had 5 on livery whilst moving to a new property with more land. I actually felt really vulnerable. If asked to move it's not easy to find space for 5 quickly or conveniently. I found that the more horses I had the more reliant I was on making the yard I was on work for us and compromising to avoid needing to find somewhere else.