Livery yard neglect...

Snapshot2016

Visit site
Hi everyone I am a livery at a small yard and there is one horse who is being neglected, horse is left for days not mucked out with no bedding (rubber matting is down) auto drinker but the owner only comes to see it once in a blue moon, I have asked her before who is feeding it as it never has any hay. She said that someone else on the yard is seeing to him. I have been there from 6am till 4pm one day and he had no foo. He has been getting small amounts of hay but he is in very poor condition, he has had a rug on all winter but it's off now and his ribs are showing and he has rubbed all the hair from his neck due to weaving, he looks totally fed up.Iv had enough of seeing this horse suffer and want to report it but who is the best person to contact? RSPCA or whw? And will they actually do anything? Sorry for the long first post!

Overread

www.flickr.com
What is the yard owner doing? They still have a duty of care for the animals on their site and it should be up to them to take charge if one of the horses on their site is suffering neglect.

Snapshot2016

Visit site
The yard owner couldn't care less she just takes the money. I'm moving from the yard soon because it's just so badly run. Going to give whw a call in the morning.

be positive

Visit site
What is the yard owner doing? They still have a duty of care for the animals on their site and it should be up to them to take charge if one of the horses on their site is suffering neglect.

The yard owner couldn't care less she just takes the money. I'm moving from the yard soon because it's just so badly run. Going to give whw a call in the morning.

The YO cannot just ignore a horse being left for days with no feed, the lack of mucking out would be less of an issue than it stood in with no hay for days, whether they care less or not they have a duty of care for the equines on the yard, it makes me furious that anyone can "run" a yard with no feelings for the animals that live there, I am pleased you are leaving OP as this is not somewhere that deserves your money and I hope you can get WHW or the BHS in to advise the owner and YO of their responsibilities.

Snapshot2016

Visit site
There are no staff the yard owner doesn't even go on the yard she has another job and just rents out the stables at her home. I know she has a duty of care but she won't do anything she just lets people get on with whatever they want

Overread

www.flickr.com
Far as I'm aware even if they have no staff and its fully "do it yourself" the animals are still being kept on the yard owners land and site and thus the duty of care still falls to them.

One of the horse organisations listed earlier would be best to contact and move on from there.

irish_only

Somewhere snowy in winter, lovely in summer
Visit site
Far as I'm aware even if they have no staff and its fully "do it yourself" the animals are still being kept on the yard owners land and site and thus the duty of care still falls to them.

One of the horse organisations listed earlier would be best to contact and move on from there.

This. Contact WHW, they will take the yard owner and horse owner to task.

Rollin

Visit site
I hate seeing thread like this. I think if I were on your yard I would be arrested for GBH.

YO have a duty of care, speak to her/him, make note of the date get on the phone to WHW and BHS as has been suggested. Walking by on the other side of the road is not acceptable.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Bhs welfare or whw, both will act

Hate to say this, but IF the horse is being fed and watered, albeit only occasionally, they will all do sweet FA.

There's an awful welfare case in my area where some horses are in a field in appalling conditions and neither vets or any of the welfare agencies will intervene - because the horses are fed, occasionally. Makes the blood boil.

Pedantic

Visit site
Hate this sort of thing, if people don't want the animal either give it away sell it or have it PTS, so many bottoms so little toilet paper in this country, so many laws but no on arsed to apply them.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Hate to say this, but IF the horse is being fed and watered, albeit only occasionally, they will all do sweet FA.

There's an awful welfare case in my area where some horses are in a field in appalling conditions and neither vets or any of the welfare agencies will intervene - because the horses are fed, occasionally. Makes the blood boil.

In a field (however bad) is probably considered differently to in a stable in it's own ***** though. You do at least have to try! I wonder why the owner has a horse?

JillA

Visit site
The five freedoms in the Animal Welfare Act - freedom from hunger, thirst, excesses of temperature, pain and to be free to express normal behaviour - are what should count. Maybe it has all five?

rascal

Visit site
Please contact one of the equine welfare charities, they will be able to give the owner some advice. Don't bother with rspca though, not worth it. A dedicated horse welfare charity is the best bet, bhs,whw or redwings all have trained advisors all over the country.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I hate this. People take horse ownership gif granted, it's s privilege not a right.

I haven't spent much time with my old guy doing much this winter but he is mucked out, fed, watered turned out everyday for minimum of 6hrs and all his needs met even if I font spend hours riding or pampering, this sort of thing makes my blood boil.

I do however agree that the charities may not do anything if they are bring watered and hayed. You may have to take photo evidence of the horse in the stable and it's condition as if the owner gets wind and they turn up and a haynet and feed and clean stable are present them they won't do anything as they have no proof.

sunshine100*

Visit site
Hi please will you give it lots of hay when you are passing his stable-dont think somebody else will do it,,please do not leave the yard and not help this horse-thanks

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Hi please will you give it lots of hay when you are passing his stable-dont think somebody else will do it,,please do not leave the yard and not help this horse-thanks

you need to be realistic, it's a DIY yard and most people don't want to pay out to feed someone elses' horse, plus the welfare charities won't do anything about the situation if somebody is feeding the horse even if that person isn't the owner.

Snapshot2016

Visit site
Iv been down the route of giving him hay and telling the owner iv fed him because he had nothing to eat and she still doesn't bother with him, he's been in his stable since at least November as the horses aren't allowed out. My horses do go out as I graze in two paddocks and not the main fields which are being rested. The YO is a bit loopy... A couple of years ago someone reported this horse to the rspca as it was in a field left but it had a bale of hay so nothing was done, if only they had looked under its rug as it loses weight in the winter. It makes my blood boil because her excuse is she has a full time job so can't get there all the time so asks others. I have a full time job 3 horses a house and a hubby and I still manage to care for my horses! Will keep you updated when I contact whw today

Sandstone1

Visit site
Please do contact either whw redwings or bhs, they will help I'm sure. For a horse to be kept in since November with little food is a complete disgrace.

Snapshot2016

Visit site
Just an update I have been in touch with whw they are very busy in my area so might be a week before they can get out to see him. I have forwarded them some pictures of him tho so hopefully they will be out soon!