Livery Yard Question...

mainpower

Visit site
I'd like to hear responses from people who keep their horses at livery, and also from livery yard owners or managers.

Who does the responsibility of repairs to damage caused by horses lie with? I don't mean the day to day running repairs (fence damage, roofing repairs, dropped hinges sort of thing) but more specific damage done by a horse, ie one that continually kicks a wall in the stable. Opinions please! :)

ihatework

Visit site
I have a naughty attention seeking horse.
A few years ago he went through a very jealous spell which resulted in him kicking a couple of holes in the stable wall.

I paid for the damage.

Ella19

Visit site
My loan pony once started chewing the wooden frame of his stable!! I offered to pay for it but YM declined. If my horse causes the damage as a result of her actions (unless chased into fencing etc by another horse) then I would expect to pay for it.

I would think of it this way, at my brothers old boarding school they day to day repairs were of course carried out by the school, but when he threw a book at someone (don't ask!) and it smashed the fire door my father got the bill which he dully made my brother pay! Same would in my mind apply to my horse although I would obviously foot the bill not my horse ;).

Last edited:

skint1

Visit site
My YM is a lovely man, when our mare went through a stage of kicking in her stable I offered to pay for materials and his time and he just shook his head and said "These boxes are designed to be safely kicked in by TBs, don't worry about!". Similarly, he didn't mind if she wind sucked in the box the only thing he ever asked was that we keep her miracle collar on in the field as replacing fence posts isn't cheap and he would have expected us to pay for that.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
At all the yards I've been on, its the owners responsibility to meet the cost of repairs when their horse does some damage.
In practice, most YO's do it without charging or if practical, the owner sorts it themselves.
Liveries having thier own insurance to cover serious damage is a requirement by many yards though.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
The responsibility of repairs lies with the Yo, of course. However, if my horse was a persistent 'damager' then I would offer to pay for the repairs.

But, damage comes with the territory I'm afraid.

Jesstickle

Visit site
The responsibility of repairs lies with the Yo, of course. However, if my horse was a persistent 'damager' then I would offer to pay for the repairs.

Agreed. My mare smashed the door down hanging herself up by the stifles and YO paid for a new one. I did offer to replace it but as it was a one off it wasn't necessary. If she had done it again I would have paid!

Enfys

Visit site

.........deleted

Last edited: