Livery Yard Rules

Russty

New User
Visit site
Okay, so I'm hoping this belongs here. You see, I had a couple of horses when I was a kid in my school, but they were obviously on private land and there weren't too many rules. That being said, I can't find general livery rules. Any of you mind sharing a few of yours, just so I can get a general idea of what to expect?

Also, does anyone have any experience of livery owners reacting to camping? Maybe a day or two or something away from the yard?

Cowpony

Visit site
Ask before you borrow anything, and put it back in the same place and condition you found it.

Don't feed or treat anybody else's horse.

Clean up after yourself - whether putting jumps away, poo picking the school or sweeping the yard.

Don't bring your horse in and leave one out on its own.

Be polite and friendly.

Don't gossip or take part in cliques.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Different yards have different rules ...Cowpony has given a great list of personal rules to follow (if only folk did) but there are so many - time restrictions/arena use/first on opening up...last off closing up/turn out times/bedding restrictions..ie only straw or shavings ... etc etc. You have to visit many in order to discover the type of place you will find comfortable.

littleshetland

Visit site
As a yard owner - these are the things that matter to me
Safety first.
Poo pick paddock AND the arena.
sweep up behind you.
Be pleasant and polite unless you've got a REALLY valid reason..
Please maintain a sense of humour at all times unless you've got a REALLY valid reason..
Always share chocolate and cake with the YO...

I could go on, but these seem to matter the most.....

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Camping? You mean bringing a caravan or tent and staying at the yard? None of the yards I've been associated with would have expected that but I suppose each yard is individual. If you're intending to do it often I suggest you make that one of the first things you ask about, rather than finding out once you're there that the YO does not wish to have people overnight.

Russty

New User
Visit site
Camping? You mean bringing a caravan or tent and staying at the yard? None of the yards I've been associated with would have expected that but I suppose each yard is individual. If you're intending to do it often I suggest you make that one of the first things you ask about, rather than finding out once you're there that the YO does not wish to have people overnight.

No, no like taking the horse out overnight or something. Like, obviously the horse is yours but what do most yards say about it?

I mean, I'm trying to make myself a comprehensive list of what to expect Out of all these.

Greylegs

Visit site
It's just basic common sense really. You're sharing space on someone else's property so if you just respect the place and the people in it you won't go far wrong. As for taking your horse away for a while, I've done this twice and it wasn't a problem at all. As long as you tell the yard you're going out for a while and when you'll be back. Horses go off for overnight stays to the vets, shows etc all the time. You will be expected to continue to pay the rent while you're away of course!

Enfys

Visit site
Re: the camping. I had several owners that competed on the rodeo circuit, horses often stayed away or came back in the wee small hours, I had no rules regarding that. It made no difference to the rent.

Horses were vaccinated but if I treated the ropers as incoming horses every time they returned home they would have been in permanent quarantine.

10502073_10152503821331503_8864804235044091235_n.jpg

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Ask before you borrow anything, and put it back in the same place and condition you found it.

Don't feed or treat anybody else's horse.

Clean up after yourself - whether putting jumps away, poo picking the school or sweeping the yard.

Don't bring your horse in and leave one out on its own.

Be polite and friendly.

Don't gossip or take part in cliques.

Mine also has a no under 16s unsupervised on the yard

maggiehorse

Visit site
yard rules

as well as those obvious rules we also have

dont pat the farm dog
square up the muck heap
poo pick fields daily on a rota
worm all horses on yard on same day
turn off lights when not in use
lock tackroom at night
keep the yard gates closed

Orson Cart

Visit site
Rules on our DIY yard:

Clean up after yourself
Keep your side of tack room tidy
Only bed on shavings or pellets
Poo pick paddocks daily (we have individual paddocks) arena whenever you use it and the drive if needed
Leave all yard tools tidy
Turn off any lights or taps when leaving
Be polite - no swearing etc
Leave all hose pipes neatly coiled and put away when finished with them
No washing down on the barns concrete floors
Keep yard gate shut and locked - lock up when you leave
Hat to be worn when riding ... children to wear hats around horses full stop (although the only child on the yard is my own at the mo)
No tying up outside of the stable if more than one of you is up there (this is just because the corridors between stables are too narrow to have one horse tied up outside and another walking past. Depending upon which stable you are in you either going to block the access to the paddocks, or the access to the feed/tack room by tying up outside of stable. We just tie up inside our stables - they are huge so we have plenty of room in there)
Keep horse in for 24 hrs once wormed and paddock thoroughly cleared of all poo traces.
Visit horse at least once a day - tbh this shouldn't need to be a rule, but we had to bring it in when one livery last yr stuck her loaned pony out in the field and didn't appear again until told to remove said pony from the yard 3 months later!

Just what you would expect in order to keep a yard tidy, really. At our yard there are no rules about taking your horse off the yard (if overnight I would inform my YO just so they didn't panic that the horse had been removed from the yard without my permission, or that something had happened to us out on a hack or something) , but we do have 'access' times of 5am - 8pm every day. If you need access to the yard outside of those times, you just ask the YO who always says yes. It's only because the YO's live on site and might panic to hear lorries or horses on the drive outside of opening hours.

HTH

Tbh - just the sorts of things I would expect anyone to do without being told ... but you'd be surprised at some people!

Last edited: